Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla battery event Hornsdale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its_happening.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq and bradjc
So I decided to test my X75D in preparation for the Hornsdale trip. I fully charged on my home wall charger. It charges overnight on offpeak rate on a 16Amp circuit so I usually get about 110km range per night. After a few nights I was up to 100% charge with a range of 320km typical. I have been driving the car all week and today I completed just over 280km using just over 60kW and my range is down to 0km. Why is this so? Is my battery software limited to 60kW? Did the 16Amp charger not have enough power to fully charge the battery? Is my range reading wrong and I really have another 40km reserve? I think I will call service tomorrow but would appreciate any advice.
IMG_3974.JPG IMG_3975.JPG IMG_3976.PNG

Depends a lot on the driving you did. Using 10-15% more than 'typical' range estimates isn't that hard, especially around town. You'll get typical sorts of ranges in favourable highway conditions. Strange though if it's indicating 60kWh consumed to go from 100% to 0%, does tend to indicate something amiss although 320km sounds like more range than 60kWh should give you in an X (an S 60 would be only just over 300km typical, and it's more efficient).

Depends a lot on the driving you did. Using 10-15% more than 'typical' range estimates isn't that hard, especially around town. You'll get typical sorts of ranges in favourable highway conditions. Strange though if it's indicating 60kWh consumed to go from 100% to 0%, does tend to indicate something amiss although 320km sounds like more range than 60kWh should give you in an X (an S 60 would be only just over 300km typical, and it's more efficient).
Just normal mix around town driving. 1 short segment on freeway a few days ago. The consumption is 216Wh/km which is below my lifetime consumption rate of 241Wh/km. At this rate I should have managed around 347 km (75kW / 216Wh/km). This is the first time I ever tried this test so I dont have anything to compare to but I was suprised to have only used 60kW from full to empty.

Just normal mix around town driving. 1 short segment on freeway a few days ago. The consumption is 216Wh/km which is below my lifetime consumption rate of 241Wh/km. At this rate I should have managed around 347 km (75kW / 216Wh/km). This is the first time I ever tried this test so I dont have anything to compare to but I was suprised to have only used 60kW from full to empty.

Considering you only used 60kwh from 100% to zero I'm keen to follow the explanation from Tesla service.

• Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

• Informative
Reactions: BenT
Decided 2 go all the way & check out Hornsdale after a quick Clare supercharge & lunch @ Mr Micks.

Approx 5km unsealed dirt road = 1 dirty Sparky. o_O

Drove past the battery farm then into i think private property to get up close to the wind turbines.

Man those things are huuuge!

Attachments

• 20170924_165638.jpg
    20170924_165638.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170924_170744.jpg
    20170924_170744.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170924_172110.jpg
    20170924_172110.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: bradjc
I have a 100 MX and just did the round trip to Sth Aust from Melbourne. The factors I didnt account for at the start in doing range calcs were altitude and wind. Going up and coming down a significant hill or inland and up a few hundred metres or more and then returning to starting point (net altitude change zero) uses more power than driving the same distance flat. Yes, regenerative captures a fair bit back, but does not equal out for the battery loss going up. Secondly, coming over we had a 50kmh headwind and returning to Melb a tailwind and the difference on the plains between Murray Bridge and Horsham was a good 10-15% more range on the way back vs the way there. Again, my sense was that a headwind hurts more than a tailwind of the same speed, but that may just be perception - the tailwind certainly helped.

Yep wind is the biggest unknown to try to allow for. We had a similar experience driving to Adelaide earlier in the year where winds blew out our predicted usage by a similar 10-15%. EV Trip Planner accounts for elevation changes pretty well, but wind you have to estimate and add manually on the calculation page and it's very hard to know what value to use for a realistic estimate. Putting say 20kph (not that much) blows out the usage on a trip by nearly 30%, which is not realistic.

Hopefully EVTP's estimates for the Clare/Burra/Hornsdale round trip aren't too bad as I might be relying on them to make it :) It shows well below 'rated' Wh/km on the round trip largely due to slow-ish speeds on most of it.

If I make it up, my strategy will be to get to Clare early and fill up, drive on to the event, then drive back to Adelaide afterwards.
Have you registered your planned schedule with TOCA at [email protected] @mhh? Clare is likely to be the most congested and in need of charge scheduling.

Also for anyone driving to the event we're setting up a Glympse group to assist in seeing where people are and managing bottlenecks (and just for general interest) so I'd encourage everyone to send through mobile numbers so that we can invite you to the group. PM either myself or @Daemon. You can enable location sharing just for the trip and remove glympse afterwards if you're concerned about privacy.

Thanks lennier, I will register once I know I'm coming. I've asked Nathan and he's passed on my request for a late invite. I'll leave home with a full battery so I shouldn't need much topping up. My mobile is 0438 000 222.