Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begrudgingly “Recalls” FSD Beta for NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will be a sticky on all of the vehicle forums shortly:

(moderator note: related threads here…)
FSD Recall? in Software
Recall FUD in Uk

46071715365_d36a6e2bf4_b (1).jpg

"Full Self Driving Tesla" by rulenumberone2 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
The short term fix really can't be anything other than disabling FSD for the wide public. That will immediately resolve the problems identified by the NHTSA.
Because the other option is to make FSD work correctly in all the scenarios outlined by the NHTSA, which means... basically finishing FSD. And that might require Hardware 4 for all we know.
Did you actually read the 4 scenarios laid out? All it would require is modifying some functions specifically related to those, Tesla might even already have a toggle that they can just disable (just like the rolling stop recall). NHTSA does not give a hard immediate deadline either, only says an update will be issued in the coming weeks.

Completely disagree it means finishing FSD.

Sounds like you may not realize that Tesla has the ability to FORCE an update without your acceptance and it has happened in the past.
Tesla has the ability to push an update to your car via LTE, but it has never been clearly demonstrated that it would auto install (people who claim so, have not eliminated possibly of accidentally clicking on the scheduling nag).

FYI you can always cancel a scheduled update (even if you accidentally clicked to allow it), by clicking it to immediately install, and then cancelling the install. This will restore the nag that asks you to schedule an update.

Tesla has the ability to push an update to your car via LTE, but it has never been clearly demonstrated that it would auto install (people who claim so, have not eliminated possibly of accidentally clicking on the scheduling nag).

FYI you can always cancel a scheduled update (even if you accidentally clicked to allow it), by clicking it to immediately install, and then cancelling the install. This will restore the nag that asks you to schedule an update.
right. The only reason I said that is because I was one of those folks that has had a forced recall by LTE about a year ago only one day after they pushed it to my car and realized there was an issue. In the last 5 years, that was the only one. All others were typical scheduled optional installs. Service center confirmed it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I dont understand something about this - isn't the thing with a level 2 system that it is expected to get things wrong and so the driver must always be ready to take control immediately? So why is Tesla strictly required to fix these issues at all? Is it because they are persistent repeatable violations of traffic code rather than just bugs or general shortcomings/limitations in performance?

I love the dichotomy of posts:

FSD is terrible, worthless, garbage and should be removed from the road.
-and-
I'm disabling updates, they'll have to pry FSD from my cold, dead hands.

😂
I love that Tesla is having to admit to issues that several here were of the "hey, mine never does that. FSD drives me from my garage 50 miles to work through roundabouts, past firetrucks, on lanes with no white lines with children in the middle of the road wearing all white during a blizzard and I NEVER have a problem or have those issues" mantra. 🤣 🤣