Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begrudgingly “Recalls” FSD Beta for NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will be a sticky on all of the vehicle forums shortly:

(moderator note: related threads here…)
FSD Recall? in Software
Recall FUD in Uk

46071715365_d36a6e2bf4_b (1).jpg

"Full Self Driving Tesla" by rulenumberone2 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand something about this - isn't the thing with a level 2 system that it is expected to get things wrong and so the driver must always be ready to take control immediately? So why is Tesla strictly required to fix these issues at all? Is it because they are persistent repeatable violations of traffic code rather than just bugs or general shortcomings/limitations in performance?
I've always wondered that too - who is driving the car here? George or the person sitting in the drivers seat?

I believe that this is referring to the well-known issue that the car does not slow down quickly enough when the speed limit drops from, say, 55 mph to 30 mph. This happens a lot on rural highways when you enter a small town. You don't see it much in cities because there's likely to be another car in front of you that forces your speed down. But, on rural highways, there often is no car ahead of you and FSDb takes a long time to slow down. I've gotten in the habit of simply disengaging FSDb for a few seconds so regen brings down the speed and reengaging FSDb.

It's a shame this has gone so long without a fix. I expect that it should be a straightforward thing to correct.
I find it unlikely that is fully what it is referring to, although the first half might refer to that scenario. The second half specifically mentions the driver setting the speed higher than the speed limit.
The trickier issue will likely be the one related to the car going straight through a turn-only lane. I can only recall this happening to me once, a long time ago, so maybe it's been corrected? I did have the car get stuck in a right-turn-only lane recently due to heavy traffic. The car chose to make the turn rather than wait for traffic to clear even though it had to reroute. So, maybe this is improved already?
What you observed is likely just the path planner deciding that was the better path, but it could have been equally likely that it would choose to continue straight through if the traffic allowed. This change presumably would be to hard code that the car never travels straight from a turn only lane, regardless of the opportunity presents itself to do so safely.

I imagine these changes at akin to the rolling stop recall, which are details that can be hardcoded to allow or not allow.

Note that I have reported this thread and asked for it to be combined with the existing discussion (which was at the top of this subforum when you created this new thread)

Reactions: Nikon201068
It doesn't matter the source of the complaint. Likely NHTSA notified Tesla of a FSD customer complaint and Tesla opted to do a voluntarily recall. We can imagine what would happen if Tesla didn't opt for a voluntary recall.

the slope is rarely (if ever) as slippery as people often make it out to be...
Then you can clearly see the point that not adhering strictly to traffic laws is not necessarily seen as a problem by Tesla (nor by the people using the feature).

Again, although people keep cutting out the part where I mention it, this is the same issue as the rolling stop, which Tesla didn't see it as a "problem" even if it violates traffic laws, but NHTSA did and request it removed.

It wasn't because Tesla couldn't have trivially disabled it (they even had a preexisting toggle for it!), it's that it wasn't seen as a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus
I can see why this became a thing. The issue as I understand it was that the windows weren't reliably handling automatic stops when something got in the way of the window rolling up. I'm not sure if that's a mechanical problem, or a software problem. If it's software, it's something they'll resolve with an update. If it's mechanical, the solution is what they proposed - disabling your ability to remotely roll up the windows. There could be someone in your car when you walk away, and your car locks and starts to roll up the windows, pinching their arm/fingers/etc.
It doesn't matter. Its up to me to prevent those things. They shouldn't have the right to take features away from people using them responsibly because something "could" happen. Guess what - a piece of an airplane COULD fall off. Your RISK of injury INCREASES if you go outside. Should the gov have the power to keep you in our house? Of course not. This is no different.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
hang on one second.
Tesla: Hey look everyone, 400k cars all running FSD now, look how great we are
Tesla recall notice: All FSD cars or 367k cars will be getting updates.
What happened to the ( /me runs out of fingers) other 33k cars?
Pretty sure that isn't some kinda rounding error, more like a don't look behind this curtain BS marketing overstretch.

hang on one second.
Tesla: Hey look everyone, 400k cars all running FSD now, look how great we are
Tesla recall notice: All FSD cars or 367k cars will be getting updates.
What happened to the ( /me runs out of fingers) other 33k cars?
Pretty sure that isn't some kinda rounding error, more like a don't look behind this curtain BS marketing overstretch.
Canada🇨🇦

Because thats what its called when the NHTSA compels an auto company to do something, software or no. How the recall is completed is not material to the name of the process.

Why did you post this in this thread instead of the "very active, 4+ Page, this one is likely going to get merged into" thread?