Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good technical article on what GM means when they say "wireless BMS" : Full Page Reload

Essentially, it's bluetooth controlled.

Not a bad idea, actually. Lets all the BMS sub modules communicate without worrying about where in the potential range they are and without risks of creating unintended current paths. Unless there’s more to it, it will presumably limit how the cell balancing occurs to local blocks.

I found this bit concerning, from a post in the main thread:

Their autonomy suite includes lidar and only the Dream edition ($170 version) has it. If autopilot makes a "quantum leap" soon, this would put their $139K, $95K and future $80K version at a severe disadvantage to Tesla. IMO, a $95K EV without some sort of autonomy suite is a letdown.​

Aren't they also going to have the same problem as Waymo and all the other OEMs that they can't collect real-world driving data from a gigantic fleet? So for every mile of data they get, Tesla gets 100, or 1000, and Tesla's already got a head start. Seems like everyone else has already conceded the market on autonomy except for highways.
I'm 99% certain Lucid will use a 3rd party system, probably Mobileye or NVIDIA. If they're smart the non-Dreams will be wired for lidar. No need to mention that today, of course, while they're trying to sell Dreams (ha).

Lidar is (finally) popping up in production cars. Audi used a primitive Valeo Scala in their A8 which was supposed to have Level 3 until they scrapped it. I think they're rebooting with the Scala 2. The new Mercedes S Class has a Scala 2. I don't know if it ships with the car or will be installed next year when they claim they will "activate" Level 3. BMW iNext will have lidar next year, presumably Innoviz. The new Lexus LS will have lidar this year in Japan, and probably elsewhere. Volvo plans to put Luminar lidars on cars in 2022.

These systems target Level 3 in limited circumstances, not Level 4/5. They will also make AEB much more reliable. Germany now has rules allowing "eyes off" driving. I don't know details, but with all German OEMs using lidar my guess is the rules will effectively require it for Level 3 and beyond. Other countries who don't want their OEMs to fall behind will adopt similar rules. Needless to say, this puts Tesla in a tricky situation.

Good technical article on what GM means when they say "wireless BMS" : Full Page Reload

Essentially, it's bluetooth controlled.

"Unlike today’s battery modules, which link up to an on-board management system through a tangle of orange wiring, GM’s system features RF antennas integrated on circuit boards."

About 10 years ago I was talking to some people about using active RFID tags to do the same thing. At the time I couldn't find anyway to get a small quantity to experiment with.

"Unlike today’s battery modules, which link up to an on-board management system through a tangle of orange wiring, GM’s system features RF antennas integrated on circuit boards."

About 10 years ago I was talking to some people about using active RFID tags to do the same thing. At the time I couldn't find anyway to get a small quantity to experiment with.

In principle, it sounds like a good idea. But in practice I wonder how it will work out. Tesla owners get a little frustrated when a single bluetooth module in the car takes a few seconds to unlock the doors.

Imagine pulling up to an Electrify America station and seeing the error message "Fatal, cannot charge, BMS modules unresponsive." because of nearby interference.

Reactions: scaesare

BMS wiring isn't even orange (if done right)... Balancing occurs internal to the module with only status/ control data sent over an isolated low voltage link.

Dream Drive Level 3 is included standard in $139k Air Grand Touring Edition according to Lucid configurator.

upload_2020-9-10_18-5-56.png

Dream Drive is optional on the $95k Air Touring Model

upload_2020-9-10_18-8-24.png

You can't configure a standard model yet.

Dream Drive Level 3 is included standard in $139k Air Grand Touring Edition according to Lucid configurator.

View attachment 586908

Dream Drive is optional on the $95k Air Touring Model

View attachment 586909

You can't configure a standard model yet.
The configurator doesn't show prices for options such as Dream Drive (hardware now, software later). The Touring comes with a metal roof, but the configurator wouldn't let me delete the "optional" glass roof. So I can't see what a full price would be.

Lucid forecasts about 80,000 units in 2023 once a sub-$100,000 variant of the Air, as well as the production SUV, hit the market. But Rawlinson wants to grow to 360,000 units a year in 2026, when a smaller, more affordable vehicle arrives. Other factories around the globe are slated to fire up in 2027, just when Lucid would hit the million-units-per-year mark.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/lucid-motors-business-plan-sales-pricing/

Lucid forecasts about 80,000 units in 2023 once a sub-$100,000 variant of the Air, as well as the production SUV, hit the market. But Rawlinson wants to grow to 360,000 units a year in 2026, when a smaller, more affordable vehicle arrives. Other factories around the globe are slated to fire up in 2027, just when Lucid would hit the million-units-per-year mark.

Peter Rawlinson, CEO and CTO of Lucid, and His Dream for the EV Brand

Lucid's saving grace is that they don't have any legacy burdens (like pensions, engine plants, warranty service costs, etc) to prevent them from getting to that million units mark.

Reactions: RobStark

From the article:

This inverter enables electrical systems up to 800 volts, significantly extending electric vehicle range and halving charging times when compared with today’s state-of-the-art 400-volt systems.​

I, for one, really look forward to those OEM EVs that have significantly more range than a Tesla and charge twice as fast! Bring on "the competition"!

...but I'm not holding my breath...

From the article:

This inverter enables electrical systems up to 800 volts, significantly extending electric vehicle range and halving charging times when compared with today’s state-of-the-art 400-volt systems.​

I, for one, really look forward to those OEM EVs that have significantly more range than a Tesla and charge twice as fast! Bring on "the competition"!

That is not what the article said.

The inverter is only one part of the system.

Taycan has an 800 volt inverter.

Traditional luxury OEMs have different priorities than Tesla.

Like very quiet interiors. Lux cooled/heated seats. Stuff that adds weight and energy load. And reduce potential range.

And Tesla isn't standing still.

Still, it is better for Audi,BMW,Mercedes to have much better BEVs than their current crop. And for Lexus to have a decent BEV.

From the article:

It can only halve the charge time if the pack is capable of twice the charge rate. Otherwise, all it does is lower the resistive losses in the cabling and increase the theoretical power the charge port connector can handle (again, resistive losses).

The article did not say traditional luxury OEMs will have significantly more range than Tesla.

While it's true they didn't use those words, let's again consider the actual words of the article:

What EV company of significance uses a state of the art 400 volt system? Tesla. Can you say with a straight face that "significantly extending electric vehicle range... compared with today’s state-of-the-art 400-volt systems" does not suggest the vehicles using this part will have "significantly extended electric vehicle range" versus a 400-volt Tesla?

(I think the claim is ludicrous, but nevertheless I do think that's what the inverter manufacturer is intending to suggest.)

While it's true they didn't use those words, let's again consider the actual words of the article:

What EV company of significance uses a state of the art 400 volt system? Tesla. Can you say with a straight face that "significantly extending electric vehicle range... compared with today’s state-of-the-art 400-volt systems" does not suggest the vehicles using this part will have "significantly extended electric vehicle range" versus a 400-volt Tesla?

(I think the claim is ludicrous, but nevertheless I do think that's what the inverter manufacturer is intending to suggest.)

I don't think Delphi nor traditional luxury OEMs acknowledge Tesla is significantly ahead in EV drivetrain technology, with the exception of Herbert Diess.

Tesla has different priorities. Like ultra low coefficient of drag and surface area. That sacrifices styling options and decreases air curtain preventing paint damage from road pebbles/rocks. Ultra low rolling resistance tires on premium priced cars that sacrifice handling on the edge. Tesla forgoing heavy sound insulation and until very recently fully active suspensions because they consumed too much electricity. Tesla has heated seats but not cooled seats because they consume too much energy. Tesla even removed ventilated seats as an option.

Taycan sacrificing some efficiency in city driving to gain range/efficiency at autobahn speeds.Different choices not inferior tech. When Delphi refers to best 400v systems they are not specifically referencing Tesla.

I personally think the truth is somewhere in the middle.