Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems Ford is throwing osbourning concerns to the wind.

upload_2020-9-17_15-23-2.png

Seems Ford is throwing osbourning concerns to the wind.

View attachment 589299
Couldn’t it be they’re trying to Osborne Tesla CyberTruck? And Rivian.

I don’t think announcing a relatively far off EV Osbornes anything more than a tiny percentage of those that are thinking about getting a Ford ICE truck soon. It may pause those looking at the CyberTruck and R1T though.

Won’t last for long, so they better hurry and it better be good. Buyers are going to find ways to try the CT and R1T as soon as they’re out, and if they’ve never been in an EV, they’re going to not wait.

I don’t think announcing a relatively far off EV Osbornes anything more than a tiny percentage of those that are thinking about getting a Ford ICE truck soon. It may pause those looking at the CyberTruck and R1T though.
Exactly. OEMs have been announcing "2-5 year away" miracle EVs for years. The only people who pay attention are EV fanatics, who aren't buying ICE F-150s right now anyway.

I don't think Ford is worried about Rivian. They invested more than half a billion and until recently planned to use their skateboard for a Lincoln SUV. Cybertruck is a much bigger concern.

Reactions: 30seconds
I don't think Ford is worried about Rivian. They invested more than half a billion and until recently planned to use their skateboard for a Lincoln SUV. Cybertruck is a much bigger concern.
I think that’s a leap, but I also don’t view legacies as being that keen on what disruptive technology they should worry about.

Based on cost, CT should be more of a concern.
Rivisn’s truck is competing more with Jeep types than full size F150 types imo.

Exactly. OEMs have been announcing "2-5 year away" miracle EVs for years. The only people who pay attention are EV fanatics, who aren't buying ICE F-150s right now anyway.

There are fleet buyers representing about 100k F Series units per year looking at " Half the freaking cost per mile!!!!" that may delay purchases and extend life of current ICE truck to buy an EV truck.

Including not purchasing ICE F Series. Obviously, Ford is not worried. Because they published the stats.

EV Trucks from Detroit are not 2-5 years away. They are 1-2 years away. They are currently building/refurbishing the factories for them.

GM is building two factories for Ultium BEVs. One for cells and one for vehicles. Might refurbish a 3rd 50% for BEVs to 100% for BEVs. GM can't operate these factories at 20% capacity like the little Chevy Volt facilities where you saw blue collar workers playing cards instead of making PHEVs. GM would lurch toward bankruptcy in that case. GM needs Ultium to not bleed money, they need Ultium vehicles to be at least a modest success.

Quite a bit better than expected. Possibly because the R1T isn’t as slippery as a Tesla, so the base usage is higher?
That's my guess. The advertised range on a 180kWh pack is "400+" miles, so assuming 400 miles and actual 180kWh of capacity, that's about 450Wh/mi base rate. It'll be interesting to see how it performs with a radius-edged lighter camper. 200 miles between charges with a 90%-10% consumption would be pretty outstanding.

What will all the auto-analysts who say Tesla is cheating GAAP profitability with regulatory credits have to say about this? CO2 pooling: VW merges fleets with SAIC and Ford - electrive.com

"The Chinese automotive group SAIC has joined the Volkswagen Group’s CO2 pool in the EU with its brands MG Motor and SAIC Motors Europe. This is according to an official document of the European Commission.

The so-called CO2 pooling is a controversial method of avoiding fines in view of the increasingly strict carbon emission fleet value stipulated by the EU. Essentially it undercuts the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) and allows companies to count their fleets as one in order to adhere to EU rules without paying fines."

Interesting that VW is aiming for 2022 for their VW ID.4: Volkswagen introduces ID 4 electric SUV with 250 miles of range and a $40,000 price tag

Given Tesla's jump start on Model Y castings, I'm willing to bet that by the time the VW ID.4 rolls off the line in Chattanooga, Tesla will already be selling the front-and-rear-cast Model Y with the structural battery pack.

VW is promising ~250 miles of range for $40k ($32.5k after incentives). Will the Battery Day innovations announced yesterday allow Tesla to beat that price by 2022?

EDIT: Evidently their planning on making some in the EU and shipping them to the US in 2021. But Chattanooga won't be complete until 2022.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric