Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: WarpedOne
I saw something about Fisker doing a SPAC merger too. Two failures at the same time, or is one of them incorrect?

Interestingly the Fisker article is from back in June, but I swear I just saw it this morning. Maybe it just completed or something.

Edit: This is the article I saw this morning: Spartan Energy Acquisition Corp. and Fisker Inc. Announce October 28, 2020 Special Meeting to Approve Business Combination

Polestar has approved the Precept Concept for Production.

Likely to be called Polestar 4, it is a Model S competitor.

JPG_Medium-DSCF2201a-e1601147054955.jpg

polestar-precept-112-1586211485.jpg

Two door?

Hongqi 中国一汽红旗官方网站

note well the prole doesn't get to drive the Hongqi

View attachment 595784

Honqi is kinda like a Chinese equivalent to Bentley, whoever comes out the rear passenger doors has arrived, now with EV harmony

this is also Hongqi,
View attachment 595786
plenty of harmony. status is signaled by number of microphones

Is that pronounced like the English looks?

Please tell me the fancy Chinese car for the uberelite is called the Honky... :)

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
VW ID.3 Sudden Unintended Acceleration!!! /s

Opa (89) crasht Autohaus mit nagelneuem VW ID.3 – dabei war es nur eine ... | Social Media

"It was just a test drive: The pensioner wanted to test the new ID.3 electric model from VW (204 hp, from 35,575 euros) in a car dealership in the Linderbach district . When trying out the e-car in the parking lot, however, he confused the accelerator and the brake"

Only minor injuries, if you're using Google Translate I think the "fatal consequences" line is a mistranslation.

ID.3 / ID.4 seem like interesting vehicles and proof that VW is taking EVs somewhat seriously. But I'm also reminded that Elon a few years ago talked about manufacturing and pace of continual innovation being the driving factors of Tesla differentiation / success going forward.

I think we are starting (again, again, again) to see the implementation of his fore site and vision. Not just on the battery side, but also with the casting and talking about how the Berlin Y will be a step change in manufacturing efficiency.

I'm expecting that Tesla will be able to ramp volume and profitability while decreasing the price on the Y. A 2WD drive model Y with ~300miles range at $40,000 starting price is in the near future.

ID.3 / ID.4 seem like interesting vehicles and proof that VW is taking EVs somewhat seriously. But I'm also reminded that Elon a few years ago talked about manufacturing and pace of continual innovation being the driving factors of Tesla differentiation / success going forward.

IMHO, VW will be selling the ID.3/4 slightly below their cost as long as their ICE profits allow them to do so. However, this stop-gap solution will not last forever, sooner or later they have to face the reality, that their EV production is not competitive with Tesla. Mind you, the bear-hunter wisdom can save them: "you do not have to outrun the bear, only the other hunters".

Reactions: petit_bateau
I'm expecting that Tesla will be able to ramp volume and profitability while decreasing the price on the Y. A 2WD drive model Y with ~300miles range at $40,000 starting price is in the near future.
A $10,000 price cut attributable to RWD vs. AWD is ambitious. Maybe this price reduction will be accomplished later when also combined with new architecture and batteries.

EPA Estimates, the Polestar 2 was mentioned a few posts up too:

The 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge, which entered production last week, received an EPA range of 208 miles on a single charge. As for the Polestar 2, it received a rating of 233 miles on a single charge.

Anything less than an EPA of ~250 is going to be a tough sell for anyone doing a lot of long distance traveling. Especially is said vehicle can't access the Supercharger network. So yeah, these two cars are about 4 years behind Tesla's offerings. I expect they will sell some, but follow the curve of the I-Pace, which has been steadily declining.

RT

A $10,000 price cut attributable to RWD vs. AWD is ambitious. Maybe this price reduction will be accomplished later when also combined with new architecture and batteries.

yes, I agree. I think this the architecture gets implemented in Berlin. I don't know about the new batteries but it seems that Tesla also has lower cost battery option being used in China Model 3

One way to think about this - I believe the car industry has consistently been on a trajectory where every doubling of the total units manufactured to date is worth another 15% cost reduction. For the ICE market with a few billion cars manufactured over all time, that means that another few billion need to be manufactured to find the next 15% cost reduction.

For TSLA with maybe 1M cars manufactured, the next 1M will lead to another 15% cost reduction; then 2M manufacturing for another 15% cost reduction, etc.. TSLA might see 4 or 6 of these 15% cost reductions piling on top of each other over the next decade. That will be a very tough cost curve for the ICE industry to keep up with.