Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody outside LG and GM knows for sure.

I wouldn't be opening up the Lyriq order book if the beginning date of Ultium manufacture were unknown.

Why piss off customers just for giggles?

Depends on what you think a delay will cost you, in terms of customer anger, lost reservations, image problems, and all the rest. Doesn’t hurt to take reservations before you know the delivery date; look at the Cybertruck. Or, worse yet, the comically delayed Model X!

Also, if they truly think they can restart Bolt production in mid-October, presumably it wouldn’t set the Ultium back too much even if it needs the same fixes. Of course, I have no idea whether anybody believes that either.

Depends on what you think a delay will cost you, in terms of customer anger, lost reservations, image problems, and all the rest. Doesn’t hurt to take reservations before you know the delivery date; look at the Cybertruck. Or, worse yet, the comically delayed Model X!

Per the Main Thread Tesla is excellent at customer selection.

Wealthy Masochist.

Cadillac ain't so lucky. They have to accept all the customers they can get.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman and navguy12
Is there any reason to believe Ultium batteries will be delayed due to the same manufacturing issue as Bolt batteries? I don’t know how much they have in common.
No, because LG has just resumed making Bolt batteries after they and GM claim to have discovered and fixed the manufacturing flaw(s) and QA weaknesses that caused the Bolt cell failures.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
The Polestar looks interesting. Do they have what it takes to be a competitor in todays marketplace?

Better question, why is Rivian worth 4x Polestar? Polestar already had deliveries for multiple models in multiple countries under their belt.
Rate of progress and Amazon. Rivian went from zero to R1T in 12years, while polestar went from zero to Polestar 2 in 25years. A comparison to Tesla might be relevant if you like money. Investors believe that the reason they could do this fast progress is some properties of the company, which give an indication of their expectation to make progress in the future.

Also having Amazon to bootstrap you might be useful. I dunno, Amazon are not known for overpaying, but I guess they figured out the math of electrical delivery vehicles and realized how much worse the other options were…

Meanwhile, Ford going big with two new EV campuses…

Though they’ll apparently be leading Tesla from behind:

The three new plants for BlueOvalSK will enable 129 gigawatt hours a year of U.S. production capacity for Ford — enough to power 1 million electric vehicles annually, Ford officials said. That’s more than half of the EV production capacity Ford expected to have globally by 2030.​

That is, Ford hopes to reach a battery run rate of 100+ GWh in 2026 (Tesla: 2022) and sell 2M EVs by 2030 (Tesla: 2023). ”Lead”, they say.