Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota revealed it will have 15 BEVs by 2030 and plans 3.5M BEV sales/deliveries in 2030. It currently sells just a bit over 10M vehicles per year.

Lexus will become 100% electric in China, Europe and North America by 2030.

Toyota revealed it will have 15 BEVs by 2030 and plans 3.5M BEV sales/deliveries in 2030. It currently sells just a bit over 10M vehicles per year.
This article says "30 battery EVs" by 2030. They showed 15 mostly mock-ups (think Solar Roof launch) for appearances sake.

I assume the 3.5m/year by 2030 is annual sales, but it could be interpreted as cumulative which would be laughably weak. The 3.5m includes fuel cell cars, so only 3.499m BEVs, lol. Actually, it might include PHEVs, too. There's always some confusion when journalists try to interpret corpspeak.

Reactions: petit_bateau
BYD aiming at 1.2m EVs next year. Roughly 50/50 split between BEV and PHEV. They used to be 75-80% BEV, but demand PHEVs has soared. PHEVs also stretch their battery supply, of course.

BYD has pulled ahead of VW Group globally but won't quite catch Tesla. Q4 should end up something like:
Tesla 280k
BYD 270k
VW Group 200k?
SAIC/SGMW 180k

VW Group outsold Tesla in Q4 2020 and again in Q2 of this year, but seems to have flatlined around 200k/quarter. SAIC/SGMW is heavily reliant on the ultra-cheap Hongguang Mini. Nobody else is really in the game, though Stellantis might exceed 100k.

BYD aiming at 1.2m EVs next year. Roughly 50/50 split between BEV and PHEV. They used to be 75-80% BEV, but demand PHEVs has soared. PHEVs also stretch their battery supply, of course.

BYD has pulled ahead of VW Group globally but won't quite catch Tesla. Q4 should end up something like:
Tesla 280k
BYD 270k
VW Group 200k?
SAIC/SGMW 180k

VW Group outsold Tesla in Q4 2020 and again in Q2 of this year, but seems to have flatlined around 200k/quarter. SAIC/SGMW is heavily reliant on the ultra-cheap Hongguang Mini. Nobody else is really in the game, though Stellantis might exceed 100k.
So BYD is on track to outsell Toyota by 2030, if not sooner? What excuses will Akio make then?

And blaming it on a shortage of chips is scapegoating, since their Q1 and Q2 numbers didn't look too bad.
You have to account for lags. Even if manufacturing stopped completely they were enough cars on dealer lots to maintain sales for two months. And it would take a month or two after chip shipments stopped completely before they would have to shut down manufacturing. And chip supply didn't shut down completely, it just slowed down. That's why it took so long for problems to show up in customer sales data.

1639597503494.png

BTW My guess is that 3 Toyota BEVs (BZ4X, BZ5X( 3 row CUV), EV Pickup) can consume all of Toyota's battery supply in 2030. Are they really going to have 30 global models? As Elon has said regarding Tesla, increasing models doesn't increase sales just complexity.

Not sure if this has been shared, but someone put together a Google Doc (Sheets) of all upcoming BEV models. Supposedly, 137 will be introduced next year (personally, I doubt we see the # that high). Has projections out to 2024 and then a 2025 & beyond column.

5 years ago Kreisel had a whole lotta buzz in Europe. People were saying they had battery tech superior to Tesla.

The cooling is interesting but I don't see superior tech. Technology - Kreisel Electric

You have to account for lags. Even if manufacturing stopped completely they were enough cars on dealer lots to maintain sales for two months. And it would take a month or two after chip shipments stopped completely before they would have to shut down manufacturing. And chip supply didn't shut down completely, it just slowed down. That's why it took so long for problems to show up in customer sales data.

Toyota is so large and they have many supplier contracts. They may have had enough supply locked down and in the chain at the beginning of the year to build as many cars as planned for the first 4 months or so and then the sales the rest of the 2nd quarter were supply being sucked up from dealer lots. Traditional car makers have a longer tail from factory to buyer's garage than Tesla has. Unless you made a special order, the car you're buying at a Toyota dealership may have been made 6 months ago.

5 years ago Kreisel had a whole lotta buzz in Europe. People were saying they had battery tech superior to Tesla.

I'm skeptical about the battery claims. If they had superior battery technology and were for sale, Tesla probably would have bought them.

Electrified farm equipment is, IMO, the next low hanging fruit in electrification. Some farm equipment gets used non-stop for weeks on end, but much of it is used off and on throughout the day and could easily sit on a charger when not in use.

Every fall I stock up on apples from an orchard near Hood River, OR (I get enough to have apples until March). Over the years I've become friendly with the owner and he's a huge Tesla fan. He said he wishes he could find electric farm equipment. He would love to replace his old ICE John Deere with an EV. Maybe in a few years he'll be able to.