Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it really? Rivian says that it isn't easy, and they still haven't got it working reliably enough to make it available to their customers.

It might be easier if you had 4 wheel independent steering, but we don't know if that is going to happen or not. (I would think not likely.)

JRP3 beat me to it, but telling each side's wheels to spin in opposite directions isn't hard. If you consider doing this without messing up the alignment as the hard part (since the wheels will be sliding relative to the direction that they're facing, then steer-by-wire is the easy software solution (cybertruck will be having a yoke and progressive turning ratio afterall) that eliminates the issue caused by a direct steering linkage.

With individual motors you switch one side into reverse and the other side forward, even without steering how could the vehicle fail to turn?
Rivian said something about problems with all wheels not being on the same type of surface and when not being level, etc. ie. you may turn, but you might also break stuff or drift to one side instead of turning in place.

Apparently enough of an issue that Rivian hasn't released the feature even though they were able to demonstrate it. (They said they they were lucky and it worked well in their first attempt of recording it.)

Seems that he is saying it is 53% of ID target which is devestating.
It's a fabrication. VW never had a 100k target for ID in China. Quite the contrary, they said their 2021 ID4 target was 100k worldwide, with 2/3rd in Europe. Subtract token US sales and that leaves 25-30k for China. Which they blew out of water already.
Where is your 7023 number from?
I save Moneyball's (@DKurac) monthly numbers in a file. Also this.
Either way...it's a unimpressive number and directionally he's correct...
I agree their target was unimpressive, and I've said so many times. But it's not OK to lie about the target to promote a false narrative that VW is falling short. I call out TSLAQ when they pull that crap, and I call out Alex just the same.

Should be used in off road low traction situations only, maybe the system should disable if it senses high traction differentials on one or more wheel.

Found this on motortrend: Why Rivian’s "Tank Turn" Stationary Spin Feature Is Delayed

It seems that in the places where you might use tank-turn, you'd want to be REALLY sure about traction. Since the non-steerable tank turn is due to breaking traction, doing something like this on a slight slope (off-road is rarely flat) would be dangerous. So yeah, not strictly software solvable if the steering rack imposes hardware limits.

Tank turn is like a sideways burnout for your tires. That's why two track construction equipment only has sideways tread, to allow turning slip.
Continuous track - Wikipedia
SmartSelect_20211206-180211_Firefox.jpg

Tank turns would be fairly easy to implement on flat ground where every tire has equal traction, but I could see it going haywire pretty easily on rough ground. If it was feasible to do, somebody would have implemented it in an armored car by this point and I haven't heard of anyone doing that.

Back to the original point, it is a good idea for a manufacturer to take a look at everything the opposition are doing. That was Snady Munro's job for years. He tore apart cars on contract, he only went public with his Model 3 tear down because his customer (which he slipped and said was Audi) stiffed him. Even if the competition has nothing new, that's good for a manufacturer to know as well as understand any innovations they come up with. Even when a poor quality manufacturer comes out with a new car, there is always the possibility that they thought of something nobody else thought of.

If it was feasible to do, somebody would have implemented it in an armored car by this point and I haven't heard of anyone doing that.
I haven't heard of a 4 motor EV armored car either. Minimal advantage in an armored car if any, and with an ICE you'd need to have it drive a hydraulic pump powering independent hydraulic motors to be able to reverse wheels independently, which would also severely limit top speed. Even more difficult in a heavy armored vehicle on pavement.

I haven't heard of a 4 motor EV armored car either. Minimal advantage in an armored car if any, and with an ICE you'd need to have it drive a hydraulic pump powering independent hydraulic motors to be able to reverse wheels independently, which would also severely limit top speed. Even more difficult in a heavy armored vehicle on pavement.

Tanks use an ICE engine with a complex transmission that allows the treads to run in opposite directions. With the track, all the passive wheels move with the powered one, so it's more feasible. Most armored cars have all wheel drive, but it would require something like a tank transmission to make it work.

That's the point, tanks aren't armored cars, a tank type transmission does not independently control 4 wheels. An armored car has an ICE going to a transmission connected to a transfer case which splits the output front and rear to differentials. To control the wheels independently would require those differentials to have individual transmissions as well, one for each wheel, or use a hydraulic system as I mentioned. In any case the complexity becomes absurd and not worth the effort. With 4 EV motors the problem is much easier.

My 6x6 uses skid steering, not a true tank turn, because it steers by braking one side but can't reverse each side independently. (Technically it could if I modified the forward/reverse levers to act independently). It's basically two transmissions in a single housing side by side, chains and gears connect all the axles on a side. In a tank or dozer it's the tread that links the drive wheels and idlers.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
This seems like the right thread to mention that I recently started an EV company. Check out the specs and features of our debut model, the "CARburetor 2000":
  • 900 mile range
  • 80% charge in 20 minutes
  • 120% charge in 35 minutes
  • Tank turns
  • Burpies
  • Can fly
Production is just beginning and I'd guesstimate the value of my company at around $3 Trillion USD. PM for my PayPal address if you'd like to invest. Thx.

flying-car-2050.jpg

This seems like the right thread to mention that I recently started an EV company. Check out the specs and features of our debut model, the "CARburetor 2000":
  • 900 mile range
  • 80% charge in 20 minutes
  • 120% charge in 35 minutes
  • Tank turns
  • Burpies
  • Can fly
Production is just beginning and I'd guesstimate the value of my company at around $3 Trillion USD. PM for my PayPal address if you'd like to invest. Thx.

View attachment 742879
Impressive! But you're selling yourself short. Solving the panel gap problem is worth more, no?

It's official, BMW and MINI don't know which direction to turn and it's getting harder to understand...and yes, I think they'll be the first to take significant changes due to their lack of an EV plan and their current car line up being decimated in there most profitable countries.

Jalopnik: The Most Confusing Turn Signals In The Auto Industry Are Probably Here To Stay.

My word, I need to stop reading articles on the inter-tubes. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if this happened to my car and the runaround these owners are getting from GM and dealers.

How does GM expect to write more advanced code to manage batteries?

Since the 2017 Volt! Enjoy!

GM Authority: General Motors Hit With Shift To Park Lawsuit In California.