Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously you guys need to get out more if you think that Pasadena and London are representative of the world.

And yes this is one of the many bustling capital cities I have visited with power grids like this @Oil4AsphaultOnly and no, there is no power on those wires except for maybe an hour or two per day.

View attachment 750294
Those black lines and the pipes they are attached to look like a water distribution system to me.

Seriously you guys need to get out more if you think that Pasadena and London are representative of the world.

And yes this is one of the many bustling capital cities I have visited with power grids like this @Oil4AsphaultOnly and no, there is no power on those wires except for maybe an hour or two per day.

View attachment 750294
Those lines look like they do because they have been stripped off the building to the right that is being rebuilt, and temporarily dropped down due to lack of support. Even in nightmare places they don't ordinarily look this bad. I've been in plenty such places over the years.

I've spent a good fraction of the last 40-years well beyond the electricity grids of this world, all over the world. And much of that has also been well beyond the reach of roads and vehicles. In those places you go on two feet or four feet or water, and no petrol or diesel is required. The people who live there don't use vehicles, and if they do use any fossil fuels it is generally kerosene. Increasingly they are going direct to solar.

Hybrids aren't going to be the pathway, that is now very clear. They won't even be a bridge technology as even the politicians who connived with the dino-juice ICe-manufacturers to use them (and fuel cells) as a no-adoption fig leaf have had their noses rubbed in the brown sticky stuff by Tesla, and the public gets it.

On the vehicle side, at the very bottom end of the global market, electric bicycles and electric mopeds have basically already succeeded. One notch above that the wee 3 & 4-wheelers are rapidly climbing the acceptability curve, and so the likes of Daihatsu, Suzuki and Maruti et al need to make the switch asap or they will be wiped out by the Chinese hordes. The EV-sales blog (EV-Volumes - The Electric Vehicle World Sales Database) for H1 2021 does not have a useable lin, but contains the phrase "Most striking, though, is the re-bound of mini-EVs in China, now at ultra-affordable prices of 30-60 000 RMB. Read Wuling Hongguang Mini EV, Great Wall Ora R1, Chery eQ, SAIC Roewe Clever, Baojun and others. Around 300 000 units of them were sold during H1, a quarter of all NEV sales in China. They offer a long due improvement over countless, dodgy Low-Speed Vehicles from the earlier days, which are now banned by regulators. The new breed is exempted from some M1 vehicle requirements, often receives no subsidies but is, nevertheless, counted in the Chinese NEV tally."

At the top end as we know Tesla are enforcing adoption by any major OEM that is seeking to have a company lifespan longer than 5-years. Ford and VAG have gotten the memo. For sure hybrids are in the market but only because these companies can't cancel the plans and need to make their battery supply spread further. But they are not developing them anymore, and basically will either go bust making pure ICE, or go bust faster making even less desirable hybrids, or changeover fast to pure BEV.

In the middle will get squeezed from both top and bottom. Some will make it through, most won't. But the gap will get filled very effectively over the next 15-years. See my Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit if unsure how fast this is going to go.

The power generation side, the power transmission side, and the power distribution side are all also changing fast. Personally I think that the more interesting technologies will be deployed in the middle/upper classes of the developing world earlier than in the OECD countries. The power-grid-equivalent of the self-meshing wifi will probably happen earlier there than in the OECD countries because of the relative absence of certification requirements that hamper new product innovation in most countries with fairly good grid systems (which, by the way, includes China). Everywhere with a good grid system imposes very strict controls on the technologies that get attached to their grid, including in China (believe me, I know, I supply to the Chinese grids and many others). So places like Lagos will be the first to declare UDI and adopt mode-switching grid-link/stand-alone inverters with PV systems and batteries. At the moment all over the world they are doing just that but with kludges of auto-transfer switches and manual switching, but progress is happening. They will have enough power to charge their BEV's, when and where they want to.

Yes, batteries are the bottleneck. But they are coming fast now. Only the companies with batteries will survive, and they know it. Competition to survive is a very powerful incentive.

FYI the powerlines in that photo are not in disrepair or temporarily relocated nor is the building being renovated. That's the original and permanent installation and unfortunately installations like this are not unusual in China, Russia, S Asia, S/E Asia, Middle East, Africa, S. America, Antilles, etc.

It looks amateur because it is. The government fails to run powerlines so the citizens have to run their own. The government can't remove the illegal lines as it's inhumane, they can't charge for the electricity because everyone's line is randomly spliced into everyone else's with no meters or breaker panels, and they can't rebuild/expand the grid because the powerplants are completely overwhelmed and bankrupt as it is. So it's not just a simple matter of swinging by the mall to order a Tesla and then stopping by the Sharper Image to pick up a Bluetti AC200 and some solar panels. It's decades of infrastructure development.

Yes, Tesla proved that the EV transition has begun and is viable by every metric. But the key word is "transition". It's estimated that 7% of the cars in America will be electric within this decade. So how many decades will it take to get to 100%? How about in Columbia? Or Cambodia? Or Egypt? We better hope that someone is making hybrids to fill that gap.

• Funny
Reactions: ZsoZso

As Hyundai representatives told South Korean business newspaper Maeil Business, the report published by The Chosun IIbo is false, and the company continues its development of fuel cell vehicles, as well as the electrification of the Genesis fleet.

Just a few months ago, Hyundai presented a plan called Vision 2040, which also featured hydrogen-powered vehicles on top of EVs. The Korean marque is already working on the third generation of its fuel cell stack, and that technology is supposed to be featured in an unnamed 2025 Genesis hydrogen vehicle.

Despite what Elon Musk thinks about hydrogen, the technology is here, and it can work as an alternative in numerous ways. While the South-African-born billionaire's vision on this alternative fuel is understandable if you consider that he is all-in on electric power, it is easy to see where FCEVs may be more suited than EVs, as well as other uses for hydrogen.

FYI the powerlines in that photo are not in disrepair or temporarily relocated nor is the building being renovated.
And those people aren't driving cars either, ICE, hybrid, or EV. Electric bikes and scooters are the only choice and would immediately reduce local pollution compared to 2 stroke ICE's that are likely used for powered transport.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with. There are no extra batteries available - anywhere in the world. And there won't be anytime soon. There is no extra electricity available anywhere in the world. And there won't be anytime soon. Global oil drilling and production isn't just increasing, it's accelerating. And hybrid vehicles aren't just vastly outselling EV's, the gap is rapidly widening.

Don't misread any of my statements. The world certainly must (and will) convert to fully electric vehicles, but it will not happen tomorrow. What *will* happen tomorrow is more hybrids.
here’s a short discussion about “extra electricity “
(btw, i produce personally 17.6 mwh/year and consume 9.5 mwh/yr, for a personal example of extra electricity, and after 8 years experience with PHEV’s, quite vigorously disagree with you as i despise them, as the worst of both worlds)

View attachment 750294
@GasGuzzler
very nice picture of ==>water<== distribution manifolds, most likely with flexible PEX tubing attached
edit:
(we used 1 1/4 inch black tubing like that 62 years ago to run water from a pond to a garden, you can drive over it and not degrade it too much)

we researched those manifolds when considering a new house as far easier as less expensive than copper and the flexible tubes were easier to run and no sharp corners.
looked a quite a few houses with them in DC, Virginia, Maryland, USA area over the last 20+ years.

quite an imaginative usage but i recall they may be subject to UV degradation

cheers

Last edited:
Ha! You're right! (And @navguy12 also)

I didn't realize that they mix the power and water lines like that, maybe the infrastructure is even worse than I thought? Anyway, here's another pic of that same metro downtown that seems to be mostly power.

Screenshot 2022-01-01 091417.png

@GasGuzzler
very nice picture of ==>water<== distribution manifolds, most likely with flexible PEX tubing attached
edit:
(we used 1 1/4 inch black tubing like that 62 years ago to run water from a pond to a garden, you can drive over it and not degrade it too much)

we researched those manifolds when considering a new house as far easier as less expensive than copper and the flexible tubes were easier to run and no sharp corners.
looked a quite a few houses with them in DC, Virginia, Maryland, USA area over the last 20+ years.

quite an imaginative usage but i recall they may be subject to UV degradation

cheers
We also spec’d PEX pipes with the manifolds 21 years ago; IMO far superior solution versus standard domestic copper distribution system:

4035D755-7A9C-43D4-8F18-1234483D6EA6.jpeg

Ha! You're right! (And @navguy12 also)

I didn't realize that they mix the power and water lines like that, maybe the infrastructure is even worse than I thought? Anyway, here's another pic of that same metro downtown that seems to be mostly power.

View attachment 750786
That is much more typical. The first picture still looks to me as if it had originally started life at a far higher elevation. In places like these human ingenuity has few of the normal constraints.

As Hyundai representatives told South Korean business newspaper Maeil Business, the report published by The Chosun IIbo is false, and the company continues its development of fuel cell vehicles, as well as the electrification of the Genesis fleet.

Just a few months ago, Hyundai presented a plan called Vision 2040, which also featured hydrogen-powered vehicles on top of EVs. The Korean marque is already working on the third generation of its fuel cell stack, and that technology is supposed to be featured in an unnamed 2025 Genesis hydrogen vehicle.

Despite what Elon Musk thinks about hydrogen, the technology is here, and it can work as an alternative in numerous ways. While the South-African-born billionaire's vision on this alternative fuel is understandable if you consider that he is all-in on electric power, it is easy to see where FCEVs may be more suited than EVs, as well as other uses for hydrogen.

The pilot programs in the US for hydrogen distribution did not go well. Supplying the fuel stations proved to be difficult. Additionally the most most economic way to make it right now is from natural gas.

Going slightly off topic, but I keep reading that - most hydrogen is from natural gas. So why don't they just do what WATT or Redox does and put the electricity in a BEV? Or at least just go straight up CNG fuel cell? Wouldn't it be easier both technically and capturing Carbon?

Going slightly off topic, but I keep reading that - most hydrogen is from natural gas. So why don't they just do what WATT or Redox does and put the electricity in a BEV? Or at least just go straight up CNG fuel cell? Wouldn't it be easier both technically and capturing Carbon?

Maybe it's more of a public relations exercise than a real emerging technology.

450 kg for 25 kW is something like M3 consumes for high speed cruising and CNG storage weight not included

HFCV was backed because it was viewed as a clean, sustainable, closed loop solution:

Split water with hydrolysis powered by clean and sustainable electricity to produce the hydrogen.
Compress hydrogen..
Fast fill into vehicle.
Fuel cell oxidizes hydrogen to generate electricity
By-product is water vapor.

Methane could be used, but you then also have to solve additional cost problems.
If it's not synthesized, it's not sustainable, and there are carbon capture costs, and if it's synthesized it may add an additional cost on top of the electrolysis, unless a scalable alternative direct-to-methane solution can be found.
The carbon may also be a challenge at the fuel cell level.

Methane fuel cells don't exist (other than marketing prototypes) and probably never will. Like household hydrogen, they are only intended to fool fools.

They seem like a great idea on paper - a beautifully styled box full of platinum and other futuristic stuff that magically turns dinosaur farts into electricity. But the reality is that a car-sized system would barely produce enough power to run the stereo, and a building-sized system makes about as much power as a portable generator, with all the same pollution, at roughly a thousand times the cost.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo

"Ford announced its additional increased to F-150 Lightning production via a press release early this morning. According to the US automaker, it will increase capacity of its Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan, beginning with a target of approximately 80,000 units for the 2023 model year Lightning.

According to a recent forum post from f150gen14.com, invitations to order the model year 2023 Lightning’s will begin rolling out this summer. We also have our first glimpse at potential MSRPs of all the 2022 Lightning trims, which Ford has since confirmed.

Ford has also shared a revised planned run rate of about 150,000 annual units by mid-2023. Not to be outdone, Ford has previously announced a tripling of production for its ever-popular Mustang Mach-E, expecting to reach over 200,000 units annually by 2023."