Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1666301101273.png

1666301148528.png

1666301177134.png

I like this much better than Silverado EV

Reactions: alloverx and KJD
2024 Cadillac Celestiq

600hp dual motor 3.5 0-60, 111 kWh battery pack with 200 kW charging, and 300 miles of range starting at $300k. Plus customizations.

Design is subjective but this powertrain is lame for $300k. Basically a Blazer SS EV powertrain that can be had for $66k with maybe an extra battery module.

2024 Blazer SS EV

557 hp dual motor under 4 sec 0-60 , 190 kW charging speed, 290 miles of range.

The Celestiq is almost literally the modern day 6000 SUX from Robocop. Concept and design. Constant tongue in cheek joke through the film about big american cars with "really shitty gas mileage"
1666308445374.png

1666308466157.png

"It's back. BIG is back. Because Bigger is better. 6000 SUX, an American tradition..."

Hostage taker asks for a car scene:

(I originally posted about this in the perpetual thread but it rightly got moved to the off topic section. Posting here as it's probably more on topic. Obviously not really competitive with anything tesla will make ...apart from the roadster I guess which is in the same price range)

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
That's a pretty good match with the 6000 SUX!

The GM fan boys are comparing it against the Rolls Royce Spectre EV though! Not sure why they feel the boutique build process (and thus boutique costs and pricing) would translate to a successful product! But there are enough Hummer EV buyers to convince me that there are plenty of people who have more money than they know what to do with.

The Celestiq is almost literally the modern day 6000 SUX from Robocop. Concept and design. Constant tongue in cheek joke through the film about big american cars with "really shitty gas mileage"
View attachment 865916
View attachment 865917

"It's back. BIG is back. Because Bigger is better. 6000 SUX, an American tradition..."

Futurist keep guessing camback design is the future because it is aerodynamically and space efficient.

That's a pretty good match with the 6000 SUX!

The GM fan boys are comparing it against the Rolls Royce Spectre EV though! Not sure why they feel the boutique build process (and thus boutique costs and pricing) would translate to a successful product! But there are enough Hummer EV buyers to convince me that there are plenty of people who have more money than they know what to do with.

I thought 300 miles range for $300k was lame.

Spectre is 260 miles range for $413k.

Both are boutique cabins with somewhat customizable coaches.

There are some people willing to pay $1M for a tourbillon watch with a SS case and leather band.

Others are willing to pay $1M for a quartz watch with diamond encrusted platinum cases and bracelets.

Sometimes simple rarity creates demand in luxury markets.

All Celestiqs will be made to order. No vehicles in stock even for test drives.

At most 2 Celestiqs will be made per day and 500 per year. Celstiq will be sold in the US, Canada, China and Arab Gulf States.

It seems Lenny Kravitz will be the first customer. Or maybe he is getting a Celestiq as part of his compensation for doing Celestiq marketing or becoming official spokesman.

Reactions: petit_bateau
If you are spending $70k+ for a vehicle is the tax credit really that important? I think it is poor societal choice that you have taxpayers subsidizing your purchase. Yes its good to have more EVs, assuming they get driven over 25,000 miles at some point so their environmental impact is minimal. i.e. if it is replacing an ICE vehicle.

I think the new incentives favoring NA built vehicles is fantastic, I would just have the $ limits about 25% lower.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
If you are spending $70k+ for a vehicle is the tax credit really that important? I think it is poor societal choice that you have taxpayers subsidizing your purchase. Yes its good to have more EVs, assuming they get driven over 25,000 miles at some point so their environmental impact is minimal. i.e. if it is replacing an ICE vehicle.

I think the new incentives favoring NA built vehicles is fantastic, I would just have the $ limits about 25% lower.

Tell that to your congressional representatives. They're the ones who came up with it. We, the members of this forum, can only spread facts about it, so people can use it.

The incentive should have been a straight up rebate instead of a tax incentive. There are a fair number of people who don't make enough or have too many deductions to take full advantage of a tax credit. I bought my car when the tax credit was still in full effect and I just barely qualified for the full incentive and that was only because I had a bigger than average income that year.

I support no limits on income or price of the vehicle.

It encourages legacy OEMs to invest in BEV production and encourages startups like Rivian and Lucid to form and go into business.

I don't support limiting incentives to North America. I do support excluding countries that have nuclear weapons aimed at the United States.

Now is the least opportune time to start a trade war with Europe.

Is it really other's subsidizing you since the credit is only a reduction in your own taxes (versus a refundable credit)?

Especially in the case of retirees or people living off investments such that they would not have incurred tax on the disbursement from IRA/ 401k if not for the vehicle purchase.
$70k car, 22% tax bracket = $20k in federal tax ($89.8k total draw from account)
- $7,500 credit
$62.5k car = $10k federal tax ($80k draw)
= $10k more in taxes paid due to purchase (versus no car)
And $9.8k additional in IRA/401k

The incentive also helps while EV costs are higher than ICE for anyone on a budget (who isn't looking at total cost of ownership or has a short commute).

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Now is the least opportune time to start a trade war with Europe.

...or Asia. We have benefitted greatly from decades of open trade with Japan, Korea, and especially China. Putin's "America First" campaign was intended to break those alliances so that Russia could form partnerships in our place. It's disheartening to see Biden continuing down this isolationist path.

And on the homefront, the hard price-point and income level cutoffs optimize the benefits for those earning $150K/person buying $80K SUVs. A better system would reduce the credit inversely proportional to income and price such that lower income buyers *and* lower price cars would receive the greatest benefit.

Lastly, the price limit jump from $55K cars to $80K SUV's is far too extreme and just pushes America even deeper into our obsession with oversized vehicles. Note that the Model Y is almost certainly less expensive to produce than the Model 3, so clearly the $25K credit limit difference is not closely related to manufacturing cost differences.

...or Asia. We have benefitted greatly from decades of open trade with Japan, Korea, and especially China. Putin's "America First" campaign was intended to break those alliances so that Russia could form partnerships in our place. It's disheartening to see Biden continuing down this isolationist path.

And on the homefront, the hard price-point and income level cutoffs optimize the benefits for those earning $150K/person buying $80K SUVs. A better system would reduce the credit inversely proportional to income and price such that lower income buyers *and* lower price cars would receive the greatest benefit.

Lastly, the price limit jump from $55K cars to $80K SUV's is far too extreme and just pushes America even deeper into our obsession with oversized vehicles. Note that the Model Y is almost certainly less expensive to produce than the Model 3, so clearly the $25K credit limit difference is not closely related to manufacturing cost differences.

I would say the critical alliances are stronger than ever and the US is replacing Russia to some extent as an energy supplier. Especially with natural gas.

The only country Biden appears to be playing hardball with tradewise is China. But the response to the pandemic has demonstrated that China is not the most reliable trade partner right now. The US is also reindustrializing right now. It started in 2021 before the federal government threw any money at it, but the administration is encouraging it too.

China is facing some problems in the coming years. A demographic wall is coming and it's going to hit them harder than it hit Japan in the early 1990s when it hit them. China has a large cadre of the population hitting retirement age with a much smaller cadre still working. That imbalance will require taxes to go up on the working Chinese to pay for the retirees and it will create a net drag on the economy for a generation until the old generation dies out. Japan has been there for 30 years and they are just now emerging. China's will be worse because of the one child policy made the population imbalance worse.

Another thing China is facing is they are losing their biggest advantage in manufacturing. The cost of labor is going up as people realize their worth and the labor pool shrinks at the same time. They won't be the place to get cheap stuff made anymore.

US manufacturing come back is taking full advantage of automation to make things as cheap as possible with as few people as possible. When US factories are back, they will often be able to undercut China on cost as well as produce high quality.

China has a lot of cash they can burn to subsidize their goods and sell them cheaper, and they can pay retirees pensions out of the fund instead of raising taxes on their workers, but they will be burning cash to do it. China will also remain a strong economy for a long time to come unless the country unravels politically.

I think competing with China intelligently as this administration appears to be doing is a good thing. The way the last administration went about it was silly and only hurt the US.