Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blesses other cars blocking two stalls due to short cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is obviously a transition period for multi-charge port non Tesla vehicles. Will take some time for it to all sort out.
Current goal is to take advantage of the longer cable on the latest high powered stalls. Until everything gets updated, hopefully everyone will play nice.

I think opening the SuC network is an incredibly dumb move until they replace the charging cords with longer versions...
Current goal is to take advantage of the longer cable on the latest high powered stalls.

I was under the impression that one of the factors that make Superchargers more reliable is having shorter cords. Longer cords end up on the ground and driven over.

I supposed that, too, is a solvable problem... Tesla could add sensors to detect when the cable isn't reconnected to the base and charge an additional fee.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
V2 SCs are not enabled for CCS1 charging.
I had not heard that. Even so, I would love an allocation system at V2 chargers so that people can be directed to the stall where they will get the fastest charge. Obviously when there is an empty pair at a V2 charger you want to use it, but when there isn't, you want to park paired with the car that has the fewest kWh needed to get it to its target, because those are the kWh you don't get, other than the base 30kW you always get. At V3 chargers with all Teslas there is minimal need for allocation. Though frankly I imagine allocation as a trivially easy thing to do. As you drive up to the charger bank, a message appears on your screen, "Take Stall 4B" and you take it. This can happen even if you were silly and didn't nav to the charger.

You’re confusing kW (throughput) with kWh (measure of energy stored)
I most certainly am not. In fact people who confuse those two things annoy me a lot, probably more than it should. Read what I wrote again. If you're going to correct somebody, at least double check that you are correct.

I do apologize because those who do get them confused might not understand what I wrote. A V2 charger takes 150kW and shares it among two cars. The first car gets priority, and all it can take, but the 2nd car is offered at least 30kW.

Once the first car has been charging a while, it will only accept lower output, and what it doesn't take goes to the 2nd car. Once the first car is done, the 2nd car gets it all, until another car arrives.

In practice this means that if the first car has 20kWh left to charge (not kW, kWh) then the 2nd car will get 20kWh less during that period than if it were first car or at a non-sharing charger. The rate will be changing during that period, so it is simplest to express it in kWh. Once the first car gets its 20kWh that it had remaining, the 2nd car gets as much power as it can accept, at least until somebody else comes along, and they get 30kW (not kWh.)

Hope you now better understand the difference between kW (your rate of charge) and energy delivered in kWh.

Last edited:
  • Funny
you want to park paired with the car that has the fewest kWh needed to get it to its target, because those are the kWh you don't get, other than the base 30kW you always get.
You sure you didn’t confuse them?

“Because those are the kWh you don’t get, other than the base 30kW you always get”

Hmm… seems as though you’ve become what you’re annoyed by. 😂🤷🏿‍♂️

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
You sure you didn’t confuse them?

“Because those are the kWh you don’t get, other than the base 30kW you always get”

Hmm… seems as though you’ve become what you’re annoyed by. 😂🤷🏿‍♂️
As said, sorry if I was brief and it was confusing. I have written a more detailed explanation that hopefully folks will be better able to understand.

I am 100% sure I didn't confuse them. I meant to write kW and kWh. What some may not know is that the instantaneous charge rate is measured in kW, but the amount of energy left to be delivered in a charging session is measured in kWh. Watts == power, watt-hours == energy. I wrote an article a while ago proposing we change from kWh to megajoules (the scientist's unit of energy) to avoid this confusion, and also because for a Teslas, a megajoule gives you roughly a mile, which is handy.

As said, sorry if I was brief and it was confusing. I have written a more detailed explanation that hopefully folks will be better able to understand.

I am 100% sure I didn't confuse them. I meant to write kW and kWh.
No one was confused by what you wrote, maybe you were? 🤣

Hmm 2x kWh, one correctly referred to. What <2nd time> kWh(measure of energy stored) do we not get by plugging into a shared stall? Why the mention of 30kW (throughput) directly afterwards? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Seems as though you meant to say kWh, kW, kW. Instead of kWh, kWh, kW. 👌🏿

Incredibly easy to add you to the ignore list, much better that way. Enjoy your weekend duder.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
0 of those 4 are open to NACS. Looks like within Greater Boston including I-95, only 3 are open of 14 Supercharger locations, and expanding to the larger Boston Metro area including I-495 includes an additional 3 more of 11. At least within Boston, doesn't seem like there will be blocking from non-Teslas for now.

For now...you know of course it won't take long for the non-Tesla owners to start crying loudly "Oh the horrific unfairness!!!! Remedy this immediately Joe Biden..for the sake of the children!!".
Also "Seeing the word 'Tesla' on the stalls makes for an intimidating/prejudicial experience..can we rename it 'Rainbows and bunnies'".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
For now...you know of course it won't take long for the non-Tesla owners to start crying loudly
All 4 of those Boston Superchargers are older (urban 72kW or V2 150kW) and probably need hardware upgrades to support non-Teslas. Pretty sure only V3+ Superchargers can be open to NACS, and of those, Tesla can keep them Tesla-exclusive for various reasons like high demand or incompatible layouts, etc.

If non-Teslas can get Tesla to retrofit those existing locations to be compatible, it seems likely they'll be upgraded to V4+ not only with longer cables to avoid blocking 2 stalls but higher power (at least 250kW but potentially 300kW+) for faster Tesla charging too. Sounds like an overall benefit to all customers other than the hopefully short downtime for construction.

I dread the first time I take my Lightning to a Tesla SC and get blasted by a Tesla owner Karen.

Quoting the famous words of Rodney King: "People, I just want to say, can't we all get along? Can't we all get along?"

For now...you know of course it won't take long for the non-Tesla owners to start crying loudly "Oh the horrific unfairness!!!! Remedy this immediately Joe Biden..for the sake of the children!!".
Also "Seeing the word 'Tesla' on the stalls makes for an intimidating/prejudicial experience..can we rename it 'Rainbows and bunnies'".
I mean, isn’t Tesla getting a $5-7 billion subsidy from the government just to open the network up to others? Weird to blame anything on the government here

I mean, isn’t Tesla getting a $5-7 billion subsidy from the government just to open the network up to others? Weird to blame anything on the government here
I don't believe so. Rather, there are subsidies to build new stations, which Tesla has decided it's crazy not to take advantage of. The subsidies, of course, require the stations support CCS and CHAdeMO, which was naturally decided just before all the auto manufacturers realized those were a mistake and switched to NACS. However, no doubt in a few years they will rewrite the subsidy rules to allow NACS. I am being sarcastic, as it may well happen sooner, but it's a bit hard not to be cynical about a process that decided the "standard" was the plug used by the most manufacturers and not the one used by the vast majority of drivers. Governments have this silly idea called "stakeholders" which includes the automakers, when in reality the only stakeholders are the people.

On the other hand, subsidies have been a curse. I think one of the main reasons the CCS netwoks were built so poorly is they were built with subsidies. When you subsidize a station, it gets put in just to get the subsidy, not because it serves customers, and so when it breaks, there is no motive to fix it. Tesla built a larger, better network at a lower price, without subsidies. Everybody else built networks that get articles written every day about what a nightmare they are to use.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
They should have included a ~6 foot section of cable to go with the CCS adapters so they can park appropriately
I don't think they need nearly that long on most vehicles. The question is, can you make such an extension with full electrical/heat safety? Probably if it's a smart cable with thermal sensors, but that does add cost and bulk. And if you think about it, probably cheaper to lengthen the cables at the SC than to provide an extension cable for every EV out there, if the car companies are paying for it.

They should have included a ~6 foot section of cable to go with the CCS adapters so they can park appropriately

I'm sure they thought about that...but then realized people will end up abusing the wire somehow and next thing you know somebody gets electrocuted from a frayed wire and sues Tesla for $100M.

File this under the usual:
"This is why we can't have nice things"