Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was any of your items visible in the car? Or were they in the trunk or something?

I know it doesn’t change the fact on if you deserve that or not (you don’t), but I’m curious if it was random or something might have provoked them.

I think there has been reports of completely random break ins with Model 3 but it’s usually the small rear window being broken... I think.

Retired cop here... Change every lock. Go to Tesla and reprogram entry for your vehicle. Get LifeLock and watch it carefully. With them you can lock out all account openings or changes you don't authorize.
Excellent advice above

I would also suggest you and your wife immediately cancel all credit cards that were stolen.

Place credit freezes with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.

Call your bank and put stop payments on the checks that were stolen.

If you have an attached garage and park either car on the street or in the driveway, and if you have HomeLink programmed on that particular car to open the garage, then disable HomeLink on it.

You simply cannot be too careful with your identity and credit.

and after you do that (usb) enable sentry mode when not in your garage ("Keep summer safe") - and hope that tesla doesn't randomly say that your usb is too slow :( (keeps happening to me with perfectly good usb in a random manner)
Set up pin to drive to be ultra cautious

And - sorry this happened to you - nobody deserves this!

Bought the model 3 on Wednesday afternoon, was hiking with a group of friends at a local park, and came back finding out the car was broken in, the passenger side window was totally gone, the window frame was damaged due to some tool the thief used. The shuttered glass are everywhere. There is also a big crack in the rear window. Everything in the car was gone, wife's purse, wallet, driver's license, credit cards. check book.

All this happened in a nice gated nature park (Home), there is only one way in, and visitors all need to purchase ticket to get in. I did no enable sentry mode (have not figure out how to do that, and thought we were in a park...)

Called the police, but it seems there is no much they can do. The park has no video surveillance.

First time ever we experience this, we only have had the car for 3 days, feel pretty bad...
Unfortunate. I’d give them a bad review on Yelp. They need to do a better job of protecting their patrons, by at least putting up security cameras. Sadly, it could even be staff, or someone tipping off a friend.

Obviously, it’s a tough lesson to learn, but you can’t leave anything valuable in the car. The thieves may even have been watching you the whole time as you got out. Lots of nature centers may even have a baggage check or lockers where you can put a purse, etc.

I'm only adding this because I didn't see any mention of it. Change the password on your Tesla account. If she had a smartphone, (who doesn't), she likely had the app installed. And someone may have already logged into the car's account. They could access and locate the car via the app. Don't tell me she didn't use the app yet. Be safe, change the password, it cost nothing to do so.

Last edited:
Bought the model 3 on Wednesday afternoon, was hiking with a group of friends at a local park, and came back finding out the car was broken in, the passenger side window was totally gone, the window frame was damaged due to some tool the thief used. The shuttered glass are everywhere. There is also a big crack in the rear window. Everything in the car was gone, wife's purse, wallet, driver's license, credit cards. check book.

All this happened in a nice gated nature park (Home), there is only one way in, and visitors all need to purchase ticket to get in. I did no enable sentry mode (have not figure out how to do that, and thought we were in a park...)

Called the police, but it seems there is no much they can do. The park has no video surveillance.

First time ever we experience this, we only have had the car for 3 days, feel pretty bad...

To activate sentry mode just depress the dark circle on top center right of the screen, or open your TESLA app and go to controls and on sentry mode slide it to the right until it turns blue. Have you inserted USB flash drive and started recording, if not read the operators manual. Sorry to hear your car was broken into.

this sucks OP. I also go hiking a lot and i usually bring my wallet with me in the camelbak. So now hopefully you had a chance to get insurance on your car and file claim. I hope thats the start and end of your problems. Take care of your financials.

Wow that totally sucks. I hope you suffer no further damage....

Probably Tweakers living in the woods you were hiking in. Make sure you post this on their facebook site so other people know to keep an eye out...
Shaw Nature Reserve

When you get your new stuff, attach tracking devices to the purse, backpack, etc..

STOP Theft Prevents Loss and Recovers Mobile Devices | Security Tracking of Office Property

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.18.31 PM.png

Last edited: