Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15 more CHAdeMo chargers opened

15 more CHAdeMo chargers have been opened recently in Slovakia. All by private funding, without any government support. And they are all free to use without any card or authorization. If only the adapter was available, finally :cursing:. That would make the travel across the country so simple. But sometimes I feel like the Supercharger might come sooner than the CHAdeMo adapter.

The event was held at the Greenway battery swap station.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.jpg

The above tweet

Come on Tesla, at least tell us it's in testing or something....

-m

That's one ugly adapter...

Indeed it is, and I'd like to think that any design engineer with a sense of aesthetics would tell the design group to go away and come up with something at least half decently elegant.

The J1772 adapter provided with each Model S is an elegant solution to problem; the CHAdeMo adapter looks like it is a collection of parts found lying around a test bench.

Indeed it is, and I'd like to think that any design engineer with a sense of aesthetics would tell the design group to go away and come up with something at least half decently elegant.

The J1772 adapter provided with each Model S is an elegant solution to problem; the CHAdeMo adapter looks like it is a collection of parts found lying around a test bench.

The J1772 adapter is much simpler. They presumably had to make the CHAdeMo adapter much bulkier because it's much more complicated, and they had to make sure the added bulk didn't put too much force on the charge port and break it. Could they have made it more elegant? Maybe, but how?

The CHAdeMo is much larger than the J1772 and the Tesla plug. The J1772 is a straight adapter just moving the pins where it needs them and both are similar in size keeping the adapter small. The CHAdeMo adapter seems a bit more involved and just a guess on my part is it makes the Model S believe its at a Supercharger not a CHAdeMo charger. Thats why you need Supercharging enabled and given just the size and weight of the CHAdeMo connector, the adapter would be larger as well. It would be nice to have a small adapter like the J1772 but right now I'd rather have it cheaper. For the 40kwh owners its sad they can't use the CHAdeMo chargers

The J1772 adapter is much simpler. They presumably had to make the CHAdeMo adapter much bulkier because it's much more complicated, and they had to make sure the added bulk didn't put too much force on the charge port and break it. Could they have made it more elegant? Maybe, but how?

It is tough because the part that plugs into the car has to have a very thick cable - about as thick as a Supercharger cable. So they could have made the car cable be about 5' long so that the adapter (which needs to be that big) could rest on the ground. But that would have made the whole adapter much more unwieldy. A cable that thick doesn't bend very well and is heavy. Bottom line, with current technology, any Chademo adapter was going to big and bulky.