Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charges sites per customer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston

I've spoken with Chet about it for Tesla he told me Sheetz has to pay 1$ for every car that charges to Tesla. So far it has not been profitable. Almost all our stores could fit chargers but the question is do we need them to bring in customers? Most Tesla chargers offer drivers free items as an incentive to bring them in to make bigger purchases. A Tesla user would be at the store for 15-25 minutes based on charger speed.

Is this true?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Who is Chet, and what are his credentials that would lend credence to his statement?

I have to say this doesn't pass the sniff test for me, but I can't really say one way or another myself. I do suspect there are costs associated with hosting a Supercharger (even if non-tangible in the form of giving up parking spots), but a $1 fee for every car that charges just sounds odd to me.

Who is Chet, and what are his credentials that would lend credence to his statement?
The CEO of QuikTrip. He would certainly be in a position to know, but I don't know how much to trust it as second hand information.
I have to say this doesn't pass the sniff test for me, but I can't really say one way or another myself. I do suspect there are costs associated with hosting a Supercharger (even if non-tangible in the form of giving up parking spots), but a $1 fee for every car that charges just sounds odd to me.
I was under the impression that the loss of parking spaces was the only cost for sites like this. And at gas stations, I'd expect that to be more than offset by convenience store sales.

It sounds odd to me as it sounds like ccs networks sometimes pay rent for spaces like this.

Reactions: kayak1
Well, I haven't seen the contract between Sheetz or Wawa and Tesla for supercharger hosting, so I can't state anything about those with 100% assurance. And it's been a while (last one was a 2 or 3 years ago), so I suppose things may have changed, but I have read a dozen or so copies of what Tesla purports is their "standard hosting agreement" contract and it absolutely doesn't include payments to Tesla from the site host. Tesla tries to get site hosts to provide the hosting on a barter arrangement, where the hosts are providing the space in their parking lot and Tesla is "providing" added value by ensuring a steady stream of captured patrons, all this without money changing hands between them. The exact text is
WHEREAS, Tesla, through the provision of Supercharger services at the Property, will provide value to Counterparty by attracting Tesla vehicle owners and the public to, and providing additional visibility of, the Property;

WHEREAS, Counterparty acknowledges the value of Tesla's Supercharger at the Property and desires to grant possession and control of the Premises to Tesla pursuant to the terms set forth herein;

1645214450858.png

This doesn't always work, and Tesla sometimes is forced to pay rent in order to get the sites that they want. But I can't imagine a site host ever agreeing to pay Tesla for putting in a supercharger.

I've never gotten any "free items" when I supercharge (other than using the bathroom?). Sounds like Chet is confused.
There are some sites where they'll give you a free coffee or a free drink with purchase, etc. You just have to show your Tesla key fob or key card inside. The specific ones I'm thinking of are at Collins Street Bakery locations in Texas. And I've seen mentions of similar at a few other superchargers, though I couldn't name them off the top of my head. But it's definitely not the norm.

Reactions: drdumont and jsight
Superchargers at QuikTrips along I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte would be perfect and a good way to draw in traffic. Some much needed superchargers have been added in Piedmont and Fair Play to relieve the Greenville SC, but there are QT's in Gaffney, Spartanburg, and Gastonia that would be great SC locations as well.

There are also lots of QT's along the I-35 corridor between Austin and DFW along with the Wichita/KC corridor (QT doesn't have stores in OKC even though they're HQ'd in Tulsa).

QuikTrip is pretty similar to Sheetz/Wawa/Royal Farms, but I wonder if the CEO of QT has anti-EV sentiments or heavy interest with ICE companies. It's a question worth asking because their equivalents (I don't think QT overlaps with those stations, even in Sheetz heavy NC) in other parts of the country have really rolled out the carpet for Tesla SC's, but they seem to be a glaring holdout.

QuikTrip is pretty similar to Sheetz/Wawa/Royal Farms, but I wonder if the CEO of QT has anti-EV sentiments or heavy interest with ICE companies. It's a question worth asking because their equivalents (I don't think QT overlaps with those stations, even in Sheetz heavy NC) in other parts of the country have really rolled out the carpet for Tesla SC's, but they seem to be a glaring holdout.
Just from the little bit of poking around that I did, it sounds like a family owned business with a pretty heavy anti ev bias. I'm sure that will change eventually, but for the short term I'm not optimistic.

It is too bad, as you are definitely right about the potential.

• Informative
Reactions: LBMagneto
Okay, well I've now seen this claim from a first-hand source, so I'm willing to believe that Tesla may be moving towards this as a possibility for at least some new locations.

From the Venice, FL supercharger thread: BrewBurgers watching effect of Tesla Superchargers
Originally set for Quarter 3 of 2021, BrewBurgers owner Michael Bacon said it took months to install the stations, which broke ground in November. ... While the installation and infrastructure of the charging stations were completely funded, Bacon said he pays $1 every time someone charges at the stations.

Okay, well I've now seen this claim from a first-hand source, so I'm willing to believe that Tesla may be moving towards this as a possibility for at least some new locations.

From the Venice, FL supercharger thread: BrewBurgers watching effect of Tesla Superchargers
Interesting and sad, as that seems like it would be a bad deal for some types of businesses. Why wouldn't Tesla just get the $1 from charging revenue?

There are some sites where they'll give you a free coffee or a free drink with purchase, etc. You just have to show your Tesla key fob or key card inside. The specific ones I'm thinking of are at Collins Street Bakery locations in Texas. And I've seen mentions of similar at a few other superchargers, though I couldn't name them off the top of my head. But it's definitely not the norm.
May have been confirmed earlier, but today in the Lindale Texas Collin Street Bakery, I was told they no longer offer the cup of coffee and a cookie that they did there and in Waco the last times I was through there.
Every time I have been through either location except in the wee hours of the morning, there have been at least half of the stalls in use.