Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm amazed your brother or @MXWing are even able to get a permit in CA since it's supposed to be extremely difficult there. I go to extraordinary lengths not to get into confrontations even when people are being complete a-holes. If a confrontation escalated I'd potentially be forced into a situation where I'd really have to defend myself and that would result in a lot of paperwork.
Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard that some people have bad intentions no matter how nice you are to them, I had to laugh at a story I read online where angry left wing protesters (could have been anyone so not trying to make it political) were closing off an intersection and threatening people who wanted to pass with bodily injury, one gentlemen was being threatened when all of a sudden the protesters changed their mind and waved him through, he had shown his handgun to the people talking about pulling him out of the car and beating his ass.

Was this the smartest thing to do? I don't know? I was not there so am not sure if that could have or should have been avoidable as sometimes an angry mob just is not something that can be avoided, had I been caught in a similar situation driving my model 3 I would have feigned allegiance and yelled NO REPUBLICANS and hopefully they would have waved me through, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Words to live by.

You remind me of my brother with that post as he has his ccw and never leaves home alone, he lives by lake Oroville and says he feels much more comfortable wherever he goes out anywhere but especially when he is down here visiting in the big city, haha

Yes, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Of course this tends to bleed over to other decisions like range and performance? hehehe

I'm amazed your brother or @MXWing are even able to get a permit in CA since it's supposed to be extremely difficult there. I go to extraordinary lengths not to get into confrontations even when people are being complete a-holes. If a confrontation escalated I'd potentially be forced into a situation where I'd really have to defend myself and that would result in a lot of paperwork.

Agree with you 1000%. It also helps I'm no where near the same level of ahole in person than online!

Permits are not controlled by the state but by local policing agencies. They are good state wide however.

I too avoid confrontations but what follows the golden rule for me is "Evil prevails, when good men do nothing". There's exceptions to every rule. As you say "not worth the paperwork" to secure a charging spot. Though jowing at a person who ran in front of 20 owners is probably a high reward / low risk event. You'd have 20 people getting your back if things get ugly.

Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard that some people have bad intentions no matter how nice you are to them, I had to laugh at a story I read online where angry left wing protesters (could have been anyone so not trying to make it political) were closing off an intersection and threatening people who wanted to pass with bodily injury, one gentlemen was being threatened when all of a sudden the protesters changed their mind and waved him through, he had shown his handgun to the people talking about pulling him out of the car and beating his ass.

Was this the smartest thing to do? I don't know? I was not there so am not sure if that could have or should have been avoidable as sometimes an angry mob just is not something that can be avoided, had I been caught in a similar situation driving my model 3 I would have feigned allegiance and yelled F N REPUBLICANS and hopefully they would have waved me through, haha.

I love your sense of humor. You are hilarious. I Yes, bad guys (see Golden State Killer) will hurt you regardless.

"Protect yourself at all times" - is a philosophy I live by and drill into my children.

In regards to your question, it was a terrible idea to brandish the weapon if true. A defender becomes the "aggressor" in the eyes of the law if you respond with force disproportionate to the threat.

If my wife is in labor - I'm plowing through. Otherwise, I'm playing Pokemon on the tablet and sitting it out.

If there is a time to start unloading however is THIS:

Hollywood Stuntz gang assault - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Grzesiak
Nahh, cheaper to charge at the SuperCharger since it's free for some of us, but way less convenient. I have free Supercharging on my Model 3, but I charge at home too, and at hotels where I stay at (just plug into a 120V outlet).

I've done the calcs for my own time/value. Home charging would have to cost at least $1.25/kwh for me to pick SC over home charging were both options available.

"Free SC" is strictly a vanity option unless you are a road warrior.

Reactions: gilscales
I've done the calcs for my own time/value. Home charging would have to cost at least $1.25/kwh for me to pick SC over home charging were both options available.

"Free SC" is strictly a vanity option unless you are a road warrior.
I'm a road warrior and travel long distances every few days, and I'm sure Tesla doesn't like me costing them so much in free electricity. Even with the free supercharging, it doesn't make sense to use it when you are sitting in one location (i.e. at home or a hotel) unless your time is not worth anything. Tesla is working on improving the Supercharger network, and there will be some more growing pains until they get it large enough to handle everyone.

I just bought the Elon Musk siganture edition wall connector off Craigslist, off another Model 3 owner for $425. The $100 savings was alright, but the special edition makes the going outta the way worth it. I'm waiting to get it installed, but once I do, what is the lowest percent you can be at to be at full 90% charge in 12 hours?

The answer is pretty simple. Signature Edition Wall Connector circuit breaker VOLTAGE x AMPERAGE / 1,000 ~ kW/hour charge rate. Divide this kW/hour charge rate to get how many hours you'll need to charge. EASY

FYI our our son just installed a Signature Edition Wall Connector in their new Lennar built single family home in South Corona on a 60A breaker = 48A charge rate. Install was easy since Lennar built every home with an empty double gang electrical box in the inside garage wall with a 1" conduit connected directly to the 200A main service panel... with lots of spare breaker space. Lennar Job Superintendent said current building code requires EVERY new home to provide an EV ready "no cut or drill" solution. Awesome.

Reactions: gilscales
In regards to your question, it was a terrible idea to brandish the weapon if true.
It depends on the circumstance, if avoidable then yes I agree but if surrounded by an angry mob then by all means brandish away and be ready to use it, Reginald Denny would have been ok had he just held up his handgun when his door was opened, well at least he would have had a better chance!

Reactions: MXWing
Here is photo from charger at airport in Savannah. As you can see long line but one YOUNG X owner blew right by, to plug himself into one available port. We waited, and eventually told him that there is line and he was like, oh, I did not notice. And by the way, that port does not work...

Similar to the ChargeHOLE in his new Model 3 who drove past 3 cars waiting for a free Supercharger at Fountain Valley CA, plugged in, then had his wife/girlfriend pick him up instantly while avoiding eye contact and communication with everybody else. SO glad that particular Supercharger was Out of Service... which was why it was sitting empty I hope he came back at the same battery level... and had to wait in line again. Would deserve the ChargeHOLE right !!!

While waiting, I spoke to the other 2 Tesla owners waiting for a working Supercharger and found two nice women who were going from San Diego to L.A. and were on fumes. Being next to charge and not in a hurry, I gave them the next open Supercharger. Easy choice.

Pay It Forward... Someday you will need a favor from somebody else, and it may be more than just a selfish Supercharge.

Number 1, I'm one of those old guys myself, #2) I charge at home when I'm not traveling, #3) I have had my 3 for over a year and I never had free supercharging, #4) I have never witnessed anyone fighting at any of the four different Texas superchargers which I have used, and #5) maybe there is a little too much speculation going on here? This thread.....I don't know guys. Some of you have seen this before so I'll apologize but here's a link to my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. It sort of applies.

Reactions: muleferg and Pkmmte
Kind of off topic but stuff like this is what makes an EV not worthwhile for me. I’m an auditor and don’t have a set commute daily. Sometimes I drive more than 200 miles a day, other times I have to stay out. I’m not sure how often I would be willing to wait to charge my car. It’s like going to a Costco gas station all the time. We are only getting the 3 for my wife since she can charge at home 100% of the time. Eventually the network will be built out like gas stations and this issue might go away.
That actually ignores the fact that they add chargers based on demand. There are a few locations (mostly in CA) where they are behind but the vast majority of locations do not have this problem.

Also by your post you seem to think that production is done and they are continuing to build out chargers. Actually production is ramping and for the most part they are ahead on SC capacity. So in general, it will only get more congested but there are a number of ways they can influence demand.

BL: this is a localized but in general insignificant issue.

Was this the smartest thing to do? I don't know? I was not there so am not sure if that could have or should have been avoidable as sometimes an angry mob just is not something that can be avoided, had I been caught in a similar situation driving my model 3 I would have feigned allegiance and yelled F N REPUBLICANS and hopefully they would have waved me through, haha.

That driver's use of his firearm to try to defuse a situation in which violent agitators were threatening to drag him out of the car and beat his ass would be part of the CDC estimated 250,000-500,000 defensive gun uses by Americans annually, the overwhelming majority of which go unreported.

If the driver had been foolish enough to report it then he might have been charged with brandishing a weapon in Seattle where the cops were sitting a block away chewing bubblegum while Antifa agitators were threatening to beat law abiding citizens after they took over that part of the downtown area.

Now me, personally, I probably wouldn't have gotten to the brandishing point that quickly, or ever really. Do anything possible to defuse the situation even if it means looking like a coward to a bunch of thugs.

My mantra is I should never present a weapon I'm not prepared to immediately use. If that means that some people that are part of a violent mob find out I'm armed as they are being perforated then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That driver's use of his firearm to try to defuse a situation in which violent agitators were threatening to drag him out of the car and beat his ass would be part of the CDC estimated 250,000-500,000 defensive gun uses by Americans annually, the overwhelming majority of which go unreported.

If the driver had been foolish enough to report it then he might have been charged with brandishing a weapon in Seattle where the cops were sitting a block away chewing bubblegum while Antifa agitators were threatening to beat law abiding citizens after they took over that part of the downtown area.

Now me, personally, I probably wouldn't have gotten to the brandishing point that quickly, or ever really. Do anything possible to defuse the situation even if it means looking like a coward to a bunch of thugs.

My mantra is I should never present a weapon I'm not prepared to immediately use. If that means that some people that are part of a violent mob find out I'm armed as they are being perforated then that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I agree with all of that and would have been the smartest thing to do but if this did happen and the agitators were to the point of inflicting bodily harm or so the person thought then what else could be done, mob mentality is hard to diffuse.

I agree with all of that and would have been the smartest thing to do but if this did happen and the agitators were to the point of inflicting bodily harm or so the person thought then what else could be done, mob mentality is hard to diffuse.

Yeah well it's impossible to say what I'd do without being there. It's so easy to armchair quarter back these things after they have happened, similar to public reaction after a police shooting when 1/2 the facts aren't even known.

If they were beating on my car and threatening me I for sure would have my hand on a weapon. If they then proceeded to trying to smash the glass and extract me from the vehicle then bad things would happen. To them.

It's always possible that by deploying a weapon you up the ante and if any of the thug agitators are armed that you've now engaged in a full on gunfight if they react to you drawing heat.

For anyone that has a CCW/CCP all I can say is train train train so that if you are ever put in a life threatening situation you are better trained and prepared than he/she/xe/xir/it.

It depends on the circumstance, if avoidable then yes I agree but if surrounded by an angry mob then by all means brandish away and be ready to use it, Reginald Denny would have been ok had he just held up his handgun when his door was opened, well at least he would have had a better chance!

You have to let one of them inside the cabin. Dig your muzzle deep into them to muffle the sound before firing to protect your own hearing. Their body will serve as a barrier keeping anyone else from getting to you.

For anyone that has a CCW/CCP all I can say is train train train so that if you are ever put in a life threatening situation you are better trained and prepared than he/she/xe/xir/it.

THIS.. THIS.. and THIS. Difficult in training, easy in war.

Story for general self defense, no permits needed.

Alarm goes off in house. 99.99% probability it's a false alarm. Bounce over to the safe and retrieve hand gun. I knew upstairs was clear. Proceeded to clear the downstairs, figured out inner garage door was not fully closed and a gust of wind pushed it far enough to go into alarm.

Wife is yelling at me wondering why I didn't turn the alarm off FIRST. Kids are awake, bla bla bla. LADY - that's why you nurture and I provide/protect. :D

I expect a better attitude from my daughter. She's got a gorgeous Glock I got her as a newborn gift when she got home from the hospital. Cerakoted it in tiffany blue so its cuter looking than "Tupperware glock".

Number 1, I'm one of those old guys myself, #2) I charge at home when I'm not traveling, #3) I have had my 3 for over a year and I never had free supercharging, #4) I have never witnessed anyone fighting at any of the four different Texas superchargers which I have used, and #5) maybe there is a little too much speculation going on here? This thread.....I don't know guys. Some of you have seen this before so I'll apologize but here's a link to my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. It sort of applies.

I have never seen anything more whiney and bitchy complaining about the whiners and the bitchers, pretty funny!

<snip>
But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. <snip>.

I'm 56. Frankly, I don't give a hoot the whole sustainable "vision" thing. I bought the car because it is a good car (waiting for delvery next week BTW). Waiting is a nuisance, but on the whole, charging at home, I'll spend LESS time waiting. I average 2.5 trips to the gas station right now, and having timed it (including drive to the station, fill up etc, it is about 10 minutes/trip, so I spend roughly 25 minutes a week putting gas in my ICE. With home charging (waiting to have the HPWC to arrive/be put in), that falls to... 0 minutes per week (well, maybe a total of 5 mins/week counting time to plug in). In 2 weeks, I've saved the time of a full charge supercharger session.

So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.
Maybe if people like yourself that lived near your "usual supercharger station" charged at home instead of worrying about charging for free then the places would not be so crowded in the first place, I mean its not Starbucks! Unless of course you are in an apartment building or some other situation where you cannot have home charging, I myself find it odd that so many locals charge at Superchargers when I am passing through an area that is loaded with Tesla's

Reactions: MXWing
I'm 56. Frankly, I don't give a hoot the whole sustainable "vision" thing. I bought the car because it is a good car (waiting for delvery next week BTW). Waiting is a nuisance, but on the whole, charging at home, I'll spend LESS time waiting. I average 2.5 trips to the gas station right now, and having timed it (including drive to the station, fill up etc, it is about 10 minutes/trip, so I spend roughly 25 minutes a week putting gas in my ICE. With home charging (waiting to have the HPWC to arrive/be put in), that falls to... 0 minutes per week (well, maybe a total of 5 mins/week counting time to plug in). In 2 weeks, I've saved the time of a full charge supercharger session.

I'm sorry you don't see the vision, but I'm glad you like the car.