Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Companion App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been connectivity problems with the Windows store apps recently. The Windows Phone app is fine, but connection with the Windows 8 is not always successful.
On a Windows 8 Pro device, where the logon is already working it keeps running, but a new install/login seems to fail.
Windows RT (Surface) is broken consistently.

Are you still having problems?

My account work fine on every device, Windows Phone, Windows 8 and RT.

I would like to investigate and debug what is the issue with Windows 8.
Is your account a new account?

Would not be strange that's the same problem Visible Tesla and the Chrome extension is having.

I am running WP8.1 and the car is on v2.0.77. Since upgrading the car, I have been getting a warning ⚠ with "operation is not supported on this car" in the app when first connecting. Cannot see any functionality missing, other than occasionally the external & internal temps are missing.

Notifications have been a bit flaky after the upgrade as well. Maybe 75% of the daily charge complete notification have come through.

Yes, I have several emails from new owners that the login is not working on the Windows version, soon may be the end of Tesla Companion as well, if this continues I may have to remove the app from the Marketplace since new reviews with lower ratings because of Tesla authentication (beyond anything I can do) will affect the overall app rating.

could it be that Tesla have set up a new server pool for new build cars ?....it might just be a diffrent server IP (pool) that should be contacted to validate login/cookie.
it makes perfectly sence since at some point the servers will max out. they need a farm/pool of serveres.

they could make it so any server can validate any user/vin or they could make it so server #1 can validate vin1->vin65000, and server #2 can validate vin65001->vin130000

just a guess..

could it be that Tesla have set up a new server pool for new build cars ?....it might just be a diffrent server IP (pool) that should be contacted to validate login/cookie.
it makes perfectly sence since at some point the servers will max out. they need a farm/pool of serveres.

they could make it so any server can validate any user/vin or they could make it so server #1 can validate vin1->vin65000, and server #2 can validate vin65001->vin130000

just a guess..

This doesn't explain my scenario, where:

- an existing Windows Phone app logged in works fine (I'm afraid to log out, or reinstall the app, will try on a different phone later)
- an existing Windows RT (logged in) app, stopped working
- an existing Windows 8 Pro app (logged on), still works
- a new Windows 8 Pro app install fails to login
- Visible Tesla also stopped working for me and I have been fine with all until a few weeks back

This doesn't explain my scenario, where:

- an existing Windows Phone app logged in works fine (I'm afraid to log out, or reinstall the app, will try on a different phone later)
- an existing Windows RT (logged in) app, stopped working
- an existing Windows 8 Pro app (logged on), still works
- a new Windows 8 Pro app install fails to login
- Visible Tesla also stopped working for me and I have been fine with all until a few weeks back

Probably you right, some accounts may not get new tokens after the logoff, and that may explain new accounts as well.

I'm getting more and more emails about failing to login to Windows Phone and Windows, as sad it sounds it may be the end of the road for Tesla Companion as well.

Today I removed the app from the marketplace, hopefully Tesla will release a 3rd party SDK soon.

Sad News.
Will it help you if we all report this with Tesla directly and request more support for current non supported platforms?
What would be the best way? The [email protected] doesn't typically generate a response.

The fact that this is happening on all third party apps and seems that official apps are not been affected (iPhone, Android) make me believe something change or there is some extra validation on the Tesla server side, I already contacted software development in Tesla and are aware of the situation, I'll let you know when I get more details.