Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Companion App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Connect is still in the Windows Phone store, doesn't have all the functionality Companion had, but that there are no app options at all isn't true.

But is this app even going to work with the changes Tesla has been making to the servers? Most new users are on new servers, and none of the third party apps are working. I believe the thinking is that as Tesla migrates more users to the new servers, more and more people won't be able to use any of the third party apps.

Tesla Connect for Phone was updated awhile ago to use the new owner-api servers, the only login errors I've had people report are temporary outages impacting the official apps too. I've compared the network traffic between my app and the official ones, doing the exact same requests

Have you tried it?

Tesla Connect for Phone was updated awhile ago to use the new owner-api servers, the only login errors I've had people report are temporary outages impacting the official apps too. I've compared the network traffic between my app and the official ones, doing the exact same requests

Have you tried it?

I actually don't have a Windows phone.

If you've updated your app to use the new servers, have your users had issues with throttling? I understand from reading the Visible Tesla thread that throttling is an issue for the people testing the new Visible Tesla software that makes use of the new servers.

When I took my first test drive, I specifically asked about the Windows Phone support (back in October 2014). They said there were options to use WP with the Model S and I shouldn't worry about it. To me, this is extremely important. It might have been a deal breaker if they told me there was no official support for Windows Phone. Now, just 2 weeks before I take delivery of my Model S I learn that there are issues. And that support for WP comes from enthousiastic 3rd parties. And that they are not supportive at all.

I have a lot of trouble digesting this. Tesla wants to be seen as a forward looking company but this kind of makes that hard to believe.

I am actually disappointed.

Come on guys, lack of a mobile app is a deal breaker for a car sale... really?

I use WP, and the Companion app is so good that Tesla should just buy it from the author and offer it as an official product.

I fully agree. Companion is a great app and it is a shame that it disappeared from the Windows Store. I now use Tesla Connect but sincerely hope that Companion will be back soon. If there is anything I can help with to get this done, please let me know.

Mike

Tesla Companion is one of the best WP apps for tesla - it support multiple languages/regions, and all the functionallity one need - including live titles.
sadly to see it gone away from the WP store.

worked like a charm with my privious P85, and hope it will still work with my upcomming P85d

Not to break anyones hearth but I've switched to an iPhone and could not be happier. Tesla is just one example of where the Windows Phone app ecosystem is severely lacking and that is killing it. The OS itself is good enough though.

Not to break anyones hearth but I've switched to an iPhone and could not be happier. Tesla is just one example of where the Windows Phone app ecosystem is severely lacking and that is killing it. The OS itself is good enough though.

The iphone app dont have some of the features the WP companion app did. And also do not like iphone or android so that is not an option.

Hi....

Just got a Windows 10 Mobile phone (Lumia 950).. Tesla Companion can't seem to connect to anything.... any one else got it to work on W10M? I hate to have to return the phone (but oddly Tesla Companion also now doesn't work on my Lumia 1520 on WP 8.1) (VisibleTesla v50 still works though on full Windows 10)

Thanks...

-m

Hi....

Just got a Windows 10 Mobile phone (Lumia 950).. Tesla Companion can't seem to connect to anything.... any one else got it to work on W10M? I hate to have to return the phone (but oddly Tesla Companion also now doesn't work on my Lumia 1520 on WP 8.1) (VisibleTesla v50 still works though on full Windows 10)

Thanks...

-m

Tesla Companion is no longer working, and hasn't been for about a year. (See post below, from the developer.)

Let’s see, one has to spend a humongous amount of time to create a professional Tesla App, the App is at risk to stop working at any time, so after 2 years of work it may stop working from one day to another and there is nothing that can be done, for every firmware upgrade Tesla Companion get outdated on something and then starts to receive bad reviews from users that complain something is not there, like is their right to have it when the App is FREE, no-ads and is a third-party without sponsor, then I have to run to figure out what Tesla changed or improved.

Even after a lot of reverse engineer currently the app may be a risks to be sued by Tesla or enforced to be removed from the marketplace since may be using private keys that are not shared by Tesla, and some specific reverse engineer would be incredible difficult to know like notifications since the magic happens on the Server side.

Imagine Tesla in couple years decide to come and do an official App, they can enforce Tesla Companion to be removed from the market or there are a 1000 ways to make it stop working, then all that work is gone.

Tesla does not offer any kind of official support.

But then come Tesla and say we don’t block anyone to use it, like "it's so simple to create an app, everyone could do it"

After lot of thinking and having headaches I would love to keep supporting Tesla Companion after 1 ½ year on marketplace, however there is no incentive to keep the app alive when is something Tesla should be doing.

If there is enough interest Tesla Companion can come back to the market as a $99 App.

Hi..

The main functions that don't require their cloud server (like turn on HVAC, start charging) have worked for me up until a few weeks ago. The cloud stuff like the calendar haven't been working for a long time. Maybe I just caught up with everyone else if it hasn't worked for anyone since his announcement.

Ah well...

-m