Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I expect that once Tesla deploys the FSD computer to MCU1 vehicles, they will be providing something more useful than the preview visualizations to help the driver monitor operation on surface streets.
Or it's possible that MCU1 won't get FSD until it's ready for unattended operation. There's obviously going to be an intermediate phase between AP/EAP and FSD where there's more automation involved that requires full driver involvement and awareness, but there's no guarantee that every vehicle is going to get that, even if you've purchased FSD.

Tesla could simply say that MCU2 is required for that phase and that while MCU1 will eventually get FSD, they may not get the intro versions that require the driver to double check the visualizations.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The "FSD preview visualizations" are only a demonstration that the system is detecting new objects.

When Tesla turns on FSD for surface streets, the driver will still be responsible for the operation of the vehicle - so it will be important for the AP system to provide confirmation to the driver that the system has detected traffic conditions so the driver knows, with enough time to react, if the driver should take over control.

The visualizations are tiny - almost impossible to see the state of the traffic lights - especially far enough in advance to confirm the system has detected a red light.

What's more likely is for Tesla to use pop-up messages indicating what the system is planning to do as it approaches a traffic situation (stop sign, stop light, intersection, train tracks, ...). Perhaps something like what is shown in this article.

It's very important for Tesla to provide the driver sufficient information on the FSD system operation to keep liability responsibility with the driver - and not with Tesla.

So I expect that once Tesla deploys the FSD computer to MCU1 vehicles, they will be providing something more useful than the preview visualizations to help the driver monitor operation on surface streets.

Unless Tesla provides a way to add the radio to the Infotainment Upgrade, we'll be keeping our MCU1 when we get the FSD computer.

Exactly.

They already have warning messages for red light and stop signs on AP2/MCU1. I could see something similar being done for MCU1 with FSD.

The visualizations are just eye candy. You don't need to know what the car sees, you need to know how the car will react.

I read some review around page 150. Just to confirm - no FM, AM or XM radio??
Looks like Tesla could have kept FM and XM but the labor involved and the new digital tuner cost (can't use the old one) were prohibitive. It is unclear how much trouble it would be to try yourself or a third party to make the retrofit work with the digital tuner. Besides the new part and difficult labor there may be a software configuration change that most of us are not able to do. No new Tesla tuners have AM.

Looks like Tesla could have kept FM and XM but the labor involved and the new digital tuner cost (can't use the old one) were prohibitive. It is unclear how much trouble it would be to try yourself or a third party to make the retrofit work with the digital tuner. Besides the new part and difficult labor there may be a software configuration change that most of us are not able to do. No new Tesla tuners have AM.
It's still lame they didn't offer it as an additional paid option (let us decide if it's cost prohibitive).

Or it's possible that MCU1 won't get FSD until it's ready for unattended operation.

While this scenario is possible, it seems unlikely.

The FSD upgrade page implies the Infotainment upgrade is optional - and that vehicles without MCU2 will not get the enhanced visualization.

Tesla should either provide an option to pay more to add radio for the Infotainment Upgrade, or make an offer to trade-in the MCU1 vehicle and transfer FSD to a new vehicle that has radio/MCU2 and the latest AP hardware.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Apologies in advance for not reading the whole thread and asking a question that's probably already answered, but it's a BIG thread and I need to schedule a repair very soon.
I'm AP1/MCU1. After the last update, my MCU went dead again. (The last "fix" lasted just long enough to reach past the end of the warranty period.) Since the car is going to be in getting the MCU replaced anyway, can I request the upgrade at the same time? It's out of warranty, so I'm paying either way, so I might as well pay a little more for something better.
Thanks!

Apologies in advance for not reading the whole thread and asking a question that's probably already answered, but it's a BIG thread and I need to schedule a repair very soon.
I'm AP1/MCU1. After the last update, my MCU went dead again. (The last "fix" lasted just long enough to reach past the end of the warranty period.) Since the car is going to be in getting the MCU replaced anyway, can I request the upgrade at the same time? It's out of warranty, so I'm paying either way, so I might as well pay a little more for something better.
Thanks!

Yes but tesla isn't offering AP1 Vehicles this upgrade until next month(at the likely earliest).

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Thanks!
You can request it, but they'll say it's not available. I had my MCU replaced recently (see sig line). Some folks have chosen to wait, but you how good Tesla is with keeping commitments on when something will be available. SO if you don't mind being without your car, then wait. Otherwise, I would get it fixed now. Even if it were available now, you'd lose your AM/FM radio, so like many of the firmware update, this hardware upgrade is also a downgrade in some respects.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy