Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but that holds even less water IMO. There’s already a ton of CPO inventory. More being “dumped” Monday won’t change anything. No manufacturerer is interested in putting sh*tty cars out there under the CPO moniker. While pricing as of late has been ludicrous (no pun intended), they want people to be impressed and pass on the word/referals.
Apparently I lucked out, not only with my actual car, but with my OA and process across the board. I was in constant contact with her and she gave me much insight into the CPO program. Goal is to deliver as close as possible, within as much reason as possible, a “new” car. Any car that was smoked in, airbags deployed, major panel repair, etc., does not get considered for CPO.
I asked for, and received, the refurb work order, but that’s not a guarantee. Other people have asked and not received it. A couple others did. I can see why they wouldn’t want to provide it. Most may nit pick it to death. For me, it added some stress as I’m very picky. For example, mine listed “Crease in hood.” And I freaked out a bit as I assumed it was in a fender bender. After talking to my OA, she said that’s the typical “damage” most owners do to the hood from incorrectly closing the frunk. Said that’s on 80% of the refurb work orders and is fairly minor vs a real crease from an accident or other drop damage.
I still stand by my previous response. They may reduce what’s covered after people see the car in person, but they will still strive to deliver a pristine car. So for those with impending deliveries, I wouldn’t over stress about this. Normal stress is with the sight unseen process is normal.
Time will naturally tell regarding CPO changes.

It's amusing how many of you took what I said and went in a weird direction in your own brains.

I did not say that Tesla was going to start selling shiiittty cars. I simply said that Tesla is not going to be dumping money into refurbishing cars any longer, they are going to wholesale the cars that don't pass their muster and sell the ones that are good as CPO's. Tesla is spending so much money vendoring out repairs that it's not cost effective any longe. The way things get twisted on this site is so amusing.

It's amusing how many of you took what I said and went in a weird direction in your own brains.

I did not say that Tesla was going to start selling shiiittty cars. I simply said that Tesla is not going to be dumping money into refurbishing cars any longer, they are going to wholesale the cars that don't pass their muster and sell the ones that are good as CPO's. Tesla is spending so much money vendoring out repairs that it's not cost effective any longe. The way things get twisted on this site is so amusing.
It’s all good...
There’s a difference between not fixing “everything” and your statement that they are “No longer going to refurbish cars.” That and “Only cars in tip-top shape” will be CPO’d is why I responded. When you said lease returns and cars that weren’t in tip-top shape will be sold as-is does mean that Tesla will be putting up sh*tty cars for sale without any refurbishment. Every used car gets some work done to make it presentable, even if it’s sold as-is.
So I wasn’t twisting anything around. Just pointing out that I don’t believe the extremes of your orig statements. If that wasn’t your intent, then I guess we agree because I stated they prob would pull back on how much they will fix/remedy.

Reactions: Electricious
Remember all those news articles about Tesla selling all those CPO's? Neither do I. All Wall Street is (currently) paying attention to is new car deliveries.

I believe Tesla is responding to what they are rewarded most for. They don't want to risk cannibalizing new Model 3 sales with CPO sales.

I'd say what is even less cost effective is not pricing the CPO inventory to sell, overprice a large portion of the CPO inventory, and let the cars depreciate for months and months without selling. Granted it seems selling CPO cars has not been a big priority for them lately given for months how they've barely listed much if any vehicles.

Just hope they get things sorted out and list what they have to sell so that we don't see 20K price swings up and down all over the place like some game.

This hike in CPO prices are doing wonders for the used market. So if you are in the market to sell. Do it now!

I honestly don't think it is doing wonders to anyone. People who buy used cars are not looking to pay almost as much as a new car. We also all know that used car prices did not go up by $15K overnight and Tesla has not adjusted lease residuals up by $15K so even they don't believe that their used cars have gone up in value.

What they are doing with the CPO cars is pricing them so high and controlling inventory to compel people to buy new instead.

If anything what this will do is get people to price their used cars higher and then wonder why no one is buying them.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
So it would seem in some imaginary world that the 2015 P85D with 15k miles that I just picked up on the 31st for $73k is now worth almost $100k. Wish that was true. It would be a great downpayment for a Model 3.....lol

I didn't see anywhere in my post that said that used cars would appreciate in value..... You guys are NUTS!

It does help the used market due to the fact that you don't have as much inventoried CPOs at ridiculously low prices.. Prices tanked for the private parties trying to sell their cars when Tesla had loads of CPOs at crazy low prices. So like I said. Great time to sell your car.

In the past Tesla has changed their mind about policies that were bad for their customers and I hope they will make this right. They should offer customers who buy these cars some peace of mind beyond the car working "mechanically."

IMHO Tesla should treat their customers at least as well as Kia treats their CPO customers :p

This is the experience you are treated to when you buy a CPO Kia and it's astounding how much better Kia treats their customers who buy used cars compared to Tesla:

KIA CPO Program Overview

Reactions: 1 person