Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with this. They did some of that sort of thing before when they attempted to also count the value of your time for refueling stops, etc... they got rid of it after they caught flack for it (here and elsewhere)

I think the data is useful, but they should include it in a "TCO" section along with the relative costs of charging vs. gasoline refueling, or similar...

Agreed. TCO is nice to know, but when it comes down to it, when I buy one, I have to pony up enough cash and get approved for a reasonable loan that together cover the full cash amount. My current balance and bank loan departments don't care about TCO.

And of course, critics will go back to calling Tesla a bunch of liars. I'm not so critical, but I could see it confusing and upsetting some people.

After playing with the design studio and the new option packages, I determined that to get the same configuration that my 60 is would not cost about 90k (vs the 83k sticker price on my car). Of course, for that extra 7k, you are getting 10 kW more storage, AWD, and a fancy headliner. Not a bad value at all. The 70d is a great value compared to the S85, and the new options packages and included supercharging will really help the buyer looking to get a not bone stripped, but still lower speced tesla. The only people hurt by dropping the 60 are those looking for a bare bones car to get the lowest possible point of entry, but in the future those people will likely be Model 3 customers anyway, so I view this as a good move in the direction of Model 3.

Will front heated seats be standard? The Subzero package mentions rear heated seats but what about front heated seats?

Also wish the power liftgate was a separate option instead of the premium package.

I think moving the power lift gate to a $5,000 package is a poorly thought out idea. I am not too tall and I need this but now it is part of a $5,000 option package. It's as if they ordered a ton of Alcantara headliner that they don't know what to do with and no one was buying their past Premium Package for the headliner and a few LEDs so now they are trying to get people to buy the Premium Package by moving an essential basic feature to it :)

I think the price point for the 70D is absolutely great along with the newly revised option packages but I don't know what they were thinking when they priced the Premium Interior Package for $5,000!

That is an absurdly insane price. It is also awful they rolled the power lift gate to that package as I consider it a must being not so tall! It seems the Premium Interior Package was always overpriced but now even more so. I really don't care for the fancy headliner but I do see value in some of the other components and it's a shame they are making you pay for that to get the power lift gate. The ambient lighting LEDs should be standard IMHO as just about even the basic subcompacts are now offered with the few LEDs lights in the cabin as standard.

I hope they revise the pricing for the "Premium Interior Package."
Power liftgate
Lighted door handles
LED fog and cornering lights
LED interior accent lighting
While I am disappointed they moved the power liftgate here, overall the package is a far better value than it was previously assuming you selected the Alcantara headliner.

For $5000, you get:
$3500 former Premium Interior Package
$1500 Alcantara headliner
$1750 savings over previous Tech Package ($4250 - $2500 Autopilot Convenience Features) for exterior accent lighting and power liftgate
Total value at previous prices: $6750

So effectively, if your previous configuration included Alcantara and Tech Package, it now only costs $1750 to add the Premium Interior Package.

also, prominently showing a 'after incentives & gas savings' price is extremely deceptive. they need to get rid of this from all design & ordering pages. the ONLY appropriate spot to put this information would be under a section or dedicated page titled something like 'how much would incentives and gas savings save me over time'. instead, they deceptively show 'HERE IS THE PRICE OF YOUR VEHICLE' with an INCORRECT MUCH LOWER NUMBER than actual cost with tiny grey text afterwards that says 'after incentives & gas savings'. It's obvious that its deceptive and misleading. Honestly doing this just tarnishes their image.

The base price of the 70D is increased from a 60, but with some of what used to be in the tech package now standard, and the pano roof dropping in price by $1000, when I price out a 70D configured almost identically to my two year old 60 (as shown in my signature line) it's about the same as what I paid then. The only things I would be missing would be power lift gate and lighted door handles, but it would have 32 more mile EPA rated range, some of the new safety features, and unlimited mile drivetrain warranty. That's a good deal!

also, prominently showing a 'after incentives & gas savings' price is extremely deceptive. they need to get rid of this from all design & ordering pages. the ONLY appropriate spot to put this information would be under a section or dedicated page titled something like 'how much would incentives and gas savings save me over time'. instead, they deceptively show 'HERE IS THE PRICE OF YOUR VEHICLE' with an INCORRECT MUCH LOWER NUMBER than actual cost with tiny grey text afterwards that says 'after incentives & gas savings'. It's obvious that its deceptive and misleading. Honestly doing this just tarnishes their image.

I agree. I thought they had abandoned this nonsense when they "fixed" the calculator way back when.

While I am disappointed they moved the power liftgate here, overall the package is a far better value than it was previously assuming you selected the Alcantara headliner.

For $5000, you get:
$3500 former Premium Interior Package
$1500 Alcantara headliner
$1750 savings over previous Tech Package ($4250 - $2500 Autopilot Convenience Features) for exterior accent lighting and power liftgate
Total value at previous prices: $6750

So effectively, if your previous configuration included Alcantara and Tech Package, it now only costs $1750 to add the Premium Interior Package.

While I appreciated the LED lights, I never saw much value at all in the Alcantara headliner. With the Pano roof most of the roof is glass anyway so I would never have opted for the $1,750 option to get the Alccantara headliner. And it's not like I'm trying to buy the cheapest Model S out there as we are considering a P85D but I want to see some tangible value in whatever options selected. I have no issue with any of the other price points or option packages but I think sooner or later they will have to "revise" the cost of the Premium Package or move the power lift gates out of that package.

For ladies who are height challenged they are essentially forced to get the $5,000 package with the Alcantara. Like I said I think they bought a TON of Alcantara that they no don't know what to do with... :)

Also I agree with the TCO nonsense. When I started playing with the design studio I was surprised to see that figure and my first reaction was "okay, no really, tell me what the car costs." Thankfully the actual price is listed, but on the bottom.

While I appreciated the LED lights, I never saw much value at all in the Alcantara headliner. With the Pano roof most of the roof is glass anyway so I would never have opted for the $1,750 option to get the Alccantara headliner. And it's not like I'm trying to buy the cheapest Model S out there as we are considering a P85D but I want to see some tangible value in whatever options selected. I have no issue with any of the other price points or option packages but I think sooner or later they will have to "revise" the cost of the Premium Package or move the power lift gates out of that package.

For ladies who are height challenged they are essentially forced to get the $5,000 package with the Alcantara. Like I said I think they bought a TON of Alcantara that they no don't know what to do with... :)

Also I agree with the TCO nonsense. When I started playing with the design studio I was surprised to see that figure and my first reaction was "okay, no really, tell me what the car costs." Thankfully the actual price is listed, but on the bottom.

In general I agree. But I think if they showed the ACTUAL price FIRST and then the savings below that it would be more palatable. ie. 75,000 - 7,500 tax credit - 10,000 gas savings for a TOC of 57,500. this is much more honest and palatable advertising IMHO

I don't think this is it, as the 60kwh battery was using a different cell with different chemistry than the 85kwh.

Do you have a source for this assertion the 60 used different cells? There are pictures of the 60KW pack modules missing ~10 cells per parallel group. It's pretty widely understood the 60 is the same cells, just fewer of them.

Nope. I'm in the school that they're getting ready for the X and came to the conclusion that a 60kwh battery would not be acceptable for the X. So, they're changing the battery line over now.

I'm REALLY curious to find out if there was a change in the capacity of the individual cells or if they just added 16% more cells to come up with the 70. I'm also getting increasingly convinced that the top X will be an X100.
Probably just filled the rest of the 60kwh pack modules. Below is a pic of a 60kwh battery module(note the blank spots).
image.jpg

Any chance this could be an 85 or even a 90 software limited to 70 like the 40's were?

My bet is that it is 14 '85' modules. The sixty was using lower capacity modules than the 85 does, we think by having some cells missing.

In addition, the 60 has fourteen modules in series instead of sixteen (doesn't have the two stacked in the front center,) with a lower voltage as a result.

Putting fourteen of the modules in the 85 pack together would give about 73 kWh and would simplify production instead of making it more complex.
Walter

Last edited:
Hi,
Yeah, seems Tesla has done some changes to available configurations.
60 is gone, now you get a 70D with All-Wheel-Drive Standard.
You still get the 85 with RWD and AWD as an Option.

So the new Model S fleet is 70D, 85, 85D and P85D.

Another interesting thing is that the Tech Package is gone. Many features are now standard like the auto-present-handles. In exchange, they added "Autopilot convenience features" for $2.500 or $3.000 after delivery which includes TACC with steering, self-parking and auto high beams. They basically split the Tech Package to the standard part and a optional Autopilot-part.
And there are new colors to choose from. 10 in total!

- David