Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Orders Hit 146K in Two Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The automaker’s all-electric pickup was unveiled this week in Los Angeles and has received quite a bit of chatter since. The company set out to build something different than what’s currently available in the truck market, and they certainly achieved that.

The pickup’s peaked roof, tall bed sides, solid strip of headlights across the nose, and bare-metal finish set the truck apart. Not to mention performance, which the company says is on par with a Porsche 911.

The pickup is available for order in three versions:

Single motor rear-wheel drive with 250 miles of range, 7,500-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph capabilities in under 6.5 seconds, for $39,900 Dual motor all-wheel drive with 300 miles of range, 10,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 4.5 seconds for $49,900 Triple motor all-wheel drive with 500 miles of range, 14,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 2.9 seconds for $69,900 (though this version won’t start production until late 2022)

Musk said most orders are for the dual motor (42%), followed by the tri-motor (41%), then the single motor (17%).

Tesla is asking for a $150 refundable deposit to reserve the vehicle, which is slated for production in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, like what is happening that we can see isn't enough to let the autoworld know it is coming?
No, for a few reasons. First many in the auto world listen to the FUDsters who's point is that almost none of the reservations will actually become sales (BS in my opinion). Second, they are betting on the old styling surviving (this almost never happens in any industry). Third, the decision makers are surrounded by layers of management who's job relies on not bucking the top executives.

Indeed. It begs the question..why isn't the number of "reserves" set up like "The national debt" or The number of days till Christmas."?
OR we all know, Big Brother/Big Ee has someone watching here...so?

There are people who pre-ordered 2 by mistake, and there are people who pre-ordered but will change their mind.

Best if Tesla provide a estimate of pre-orders based on some algorithm of how many are valid, than the raw number. Otherwise, as dups get cleared out, the raw number might drop, and that's the only news you'd see,

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Not sure why they switched to the $100 reservation. Real orders could be any where from a 100K to 500K. If it was $2500.00 the numbers would be real and they could gauge more accurately how to forecast demand. As it is now, reservation numbers mean so little.

Not sure why they switched to the $100 reservation. Real orders could be any where from a 100K to 500K. If it was $2500.00 the numbers would be real and they could gauge more accurately how to forecast demand. As it is now, reservation numbers mean so little.

Reservations (aka pre-orders) for the Model 3 were $1,000.
The $2,500 figure comes from actual orders, for example for Model Y.

I ordered two also (RWD/AWD) and will pick one closer to delivery. I would guess that a significant number of buyers did this (maybe 25-30K ?)

When your numbers come up and you can get your two cyber trucks don't you think that someone who ordered months or years later than you will be willing to take your extra truck off your hands for a couple of thou more than you paid for it. People on this thread have said that they are paying $100 a week for fuel. Right now I can buy diesel for $2.60 a gallon. That works out to 38.4 gallons. That much fuel will take my pickup 700 miles. My electric utility sells power for about 7 cents a KW. At 3 miles per KW that will cost $21. Rounding, that will be a saving of $80 a week. That is a saving of $4,160 a year. That does not count the cost of oil changes, air and fuel filters, chassis lubes, valve adjustments, batteries (12V) and a bunch of other stuff that a fuel truck needs and an EV does not. Someone who got the Cybertruck buzz a year later than you did and drives this much could offer you 4K more than you paid for it and still save money.
Once we know a little better when our trucks will be produced I can envision a thread on this site that will allow you to say something like "I will have an AWD available around the 11th of January 2022. I am asking a premium of $4K OBO. I will be picking up my CT in Southern CA. Please PM me to work out details". If you are retired like me you could add "will deliver". I could even see a situation where you might do a Dutch auction. "As of 11Jan. I want a $6k premium. I will reduce the premium by $250 per week until the truck sells.".
I gotta stop with this. I am getting more and more upset with myself that I only ordered 1 and ordered after 300,000 other people!

When your numbers come up and you can get your two cyber trucks don't you think that someone who ordered months or years later than you will be willing to take your extra truck off your hands for a couple of thou more than you paid for it. People on this thread have said that they are paying $100 a week for fuel. Right now I can buy diesel for $2.60 a gallon. That works out to 38.4 gallons. That much fuel will take my pickup 700 miles. My electric utility sells power for about 7 cents a KW. At 3 miles per KW that will cost $21. Rounding, that will be a saving of $80 a week. That is a saving of $4,160 a year. That does not count the cost of oil changes, air and fuel filters, chassis lubes, valve adjustments, batteries (12V) and a bunch of other stuff that a fuel truck needs and an EV does not. Someone who got the Cybertruck buzz a year later than you did and drives this much could offer you 4K more than you paid for it and still save money.
Once we know a little better when our trucks will be produced I can envision a thread on this site that will allow you to say something like "I will have an AWD available around the 11th of January 2022. I am asking a premium of $4K OBO. I will be picking up my CT in Southern CA. Please PM me to work out details". If you are retired like me you could add "will deliver". I could even see a situation where you might do a Dutch auction. "As of 11Jan. I want a $6k premium. I will reduce the premium by $250 per week until the truck sells.".
I gotta stop with this. I am getting more and more upset with myself that I only ordered 1 and ordered after 300,000 other people!
Had the same conversation with Model 3. I believe that there is a minimum time you must retain ownership before resale. Tesla has not allowed transfer of reservations in the past either.

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I guess the order numbers are overwhelming them. Cybertruck no longer listed on Tesla's website. You have to enter "/cybertruck" following the tesla . com manually, as it is no loner a top link as a vehicle link. This might have been mentioned before, so ignore if it is already a known thing.

Last edited:
I guess the order numbers are overwhelming them. Cybertruck no longer listed on Tesla's website. You have to enter "/cybertruck" following the tesla . com manually, as it is no loner a top link as a vehicle link. This might have been mentioned before, so ignore if it is already a known thing.

It has just been moved to the "hamburger" menu on the right. Along with the Roadster and Semi. The options listed along the top are ones that are available now, or very soon like the Model Y.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Cybertruck no longer listed on Tesla's website. You have to enter "/cybertruck" following the tesla . com manually, as it is no loner a top link as a vehicle link.

This varies based on region too. Still there for Australia:

upload_2020-2-22_17-56-36.png

And when you shrink the window, options disappear in various orders (in this example, "Roadster" is the first to go)

upload_2020-2-22_17-57-21.png