TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla discontinuing 75kwh packs

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

• Informative x 1
  2. Icey

Icey Member

God i hope so. Had I known that i'm going to get 100km less than what the sticker says I would have got the 100 not the 75

3. paulp

paulp Active Member

Tesla have been going in the direction of simplification and less options lately. I think after this change the only option will be a software upgrade, paint colour, interior colour, and wheel type.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

The problem with this move is that it effectively increases the cost of the cheapest Model S by a lot.

• Like x 2
  5. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

They're simplifying their range, can't afford an S or X buy a 3, it's just unfortunate that they've made this change before the 3 is available here.

• Like x 3
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

They have high spec Model 3 available and would probably prefer sales of those.
    Orders for Model 3 now opened up to most markets, so I expect that S75 demand has dropped.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the 3 isn’t a hatchback, so it doesnt work for everyone. Unless they keep prices the same (unlikely), this move just reduces market demand. Which might not be a problem for Tesla, but still.

• Like x 1
  8. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Plus it doesn't take into account something else - you can't get the Model 3 in many parts of the world, including Australia (this post is in the Australia/NZ forum). No Model 3 here for another 6-12 months.

9. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I think they'll release 1x battery pack, then software limit between standard, mid and long range for a "price"....or something like this....over $30k extra for a 75 over a 100 (including taxes) when the 75 is the better seller...hmm...I think something is coming...

If not software limited then maybe a 90 and 120 battery pack offering...

10. paulp

paulp Active Member

They should have staye with 85. It was a good capacity.

• Like x 1
  11. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I actually really like my 70, never had range anxiety....done enough out of city trips etc. and all has been ok. 65,000km’s and just under 3.5 years and at most I have only lost 1.5% of range (6km’s)...

• Like x 1
  12. garyjac

garyjac Member

Ditto, the S70 takes me anywhere and everywhere I want to go, including long distance trips to foreign places like NSW :) However, if a "cheap" 85 or 90 showed up as the new "low end", I wouldn't complain. I think the odds of a 120 eventuating are small given physical constraints, but would be a possibility given they claim 200kWhr in the new roadster and it can't be a bigger footprint than the S.

• Like x 1
  13. baillies

baillies Member

My bet is they will introduce the TM3 LR pack as the S/X SR, ~80kWh is more than the current 75(?) and must be much cheaper than the old 75, I suspect Panasonic recently installing more cell production will allow this, especially as model 3 vehicle production doesn’t seem to have kept up.

They could even swap to TM3 motors as well to improve their margins further, wish they could reduce the price but I guess they would get lots of complaints about resale values from existing owners (even more than now).

Besides lower cost the 3LR pack is probably better designed for supercharger V3 charging than the old 75 pack.

Longer term they will move to a larger 100+ pack with 2170 and stop using 18650. Priority would be TM3 SR pack before ramping production of this new pack though.

14. paulp

paulp Active Member

I suspect the focus is more on faster charging from an expanded charger network than adding more heavy batteries.

15. Tension

Tension Member

Musk mentioned somewhere about wanting to move away from kWh battery designations and to a system similar to that of the Model 3; I quite like the kWh battery designations :(

16. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

75Kw was best selling S/X in Australia at the it was discontinued, no Model 3 released here and 6-12 months away and now just $32.5k more expensive to buy a Tesla in Oz...something is going to change I believe.....

17. reecho

reecho Member

Jaguar will see more foot traffic in their dealerships as a result...

• Like x 1
  18. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

Exactly 1 year ago today, I test drove a Model X with ZERO intention of buying one (I did have a 3 reservation), I walked out of the store an hour later after placing a deposit for a 1000km service loaner X75D ... if there were only 100D's available at that point, there's NO WAY I ever would of bought one.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  19. Vegas

Vegas Member

I completely understand that, it has happened regularly - the car is so good when you test drive it, people will extend themselves to purchase one; but now with the 75 being ditched and the referral program gone - I think Tesla will lose those people, and there's a lot of them in my opinion. ArmArm - glad you got on board while you could.

20. paulp

paulp Active Member

In the USA it probably makes sense as they have access to the cheaper model 3. It creates a better gap between models and prices. I don’t know that they have thought through the rest of their markets though, the ones awaiting the model 3.