Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla discontinuing 75kwh packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're simplifying their range, can't afford an S or X buy a 3, it's just unfortunate that they've made this change before the 3 is available here.

Yeah, but the 3 isn’t a hatchback, so it doesnt work for everyone. Unless they keep prices the same (unlikely), this move just reduces market demand. Which might not be a problem for Tesla, but still.

Reactions: byeLT4
They have high spec Model 3 available and would probably prefer sales of those.

Yeah, but the 3 isn’t a hatchback, so it doesnt work for everyone.

Plus it doesn't take into account something else - you can't get the Model 3 in many parts of the world, including Australia (this post is in the Australia/NZ forum). No Model 3 here for another 6-12 months.

I think they'll release 1x battery pack, then software limit between standard, mid and long range for a "price"....or something like this....over $30k extra for a 75 over a 100 (including taxes) when the 75 is the better seller...hmm...I think something is coming...

If not software limited then maybe a 90 and 120 battery pack offering...

I think they'll release 1x battery pack, then software limit between standard, mid and long range for a "price"....or something like this....over $30k extra for a 75 over a 100 (including taxes) when the 75 is the better seller...hmm...I think something is coming...

If not software limited then maybe a 90 and 120 battery pack offering...
They should have staye with 85. It was a good capacity.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Ditto, the S70 takes me anywhere and everywhere I want to go, including long distance trips to foreign places like NSW :) However, if a "cheap" 85 or 90 showed up as the new "low end", I wouldn't complain. I think the odds of a 120 eventuating are small given physical constraints, but would be a possibility given they claim 200kWhr in the new roadster and it can't be a bigger footprint than the S.

Reactions: mike_j
My bet is they will introduce the TM3 LR pack as the S/X SR, ~80kWh is more than the current 75(?) and must be much cheaper than the old 75, I suspect Panasonic recently installing more cell production will allow this, especially as model 3 vehicle production doesn’t seem to have kept up.

They could even swap to TM3 motors as well to improve their margins further, wish they could reduce the price but I guess they would get lots of complaints about resale values from existing owners (even more than now).

Besides lower cost the 3LR pack is probably better designed for supercharger V3 charging than the old 75 pack.

Longer term they will move to a larger 100+ pack with 2170 and stop using 18650. Priority would be TM3 SR pack before ramping production of this new pack though.

Ditto, the S70 takes me anywhere and everywhere I want to go, including long distance trips to foreign places like NSW :) However, if a "cheap" 85 or 90 showed up as the new "low end", I wouldn't complain. I think the odds of a 120 eventuating are small given physical constraints, but would be a possibility given they claim 200kWhr in the new roadster and it can't be a bigger footprint than the S.
I suspect the focus is more on faster charging from an expanded charger network than adding more heavy batteries.

I completely understand that, it has happened regularly - the car is so good when you test drive it, people will extend themselves to purchase one; but now with the 75 being ditched and the referral program gone - I think Tesla will lose those people, and there's a lot of them in my opinion. ArmArm - glad you got on board while you could.

Reactions: Momentum1
I completely understand that, it has happened regularly - the car is so good when you test drive it, people will extend themselves to purchase one; but now with the 75 being ditched and the referral program gone - I think Tesla will lose those people, and there's a lot of them in my opinion. ArmArm - glad you got on board while you could.
In the USA it probably makes sense as they have access to the cheaper model 3. It creates a better gap between models and prices. I don’t know that they have thought through the rest of their markets though, the ones awaiting the model 3.