Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not totally celebrate a battery power plant unless it has a matching RE power source added to fuel it.

I think that depends on the electricity market rules, and the supply/demand imbalance in the market...

For example in Australia we can get peaks with large negative prices in the wholesale market (NEM) for example you might be paid $1000 AUD per MWh to take electricity sometimes, other times you might be paid $1000 per MWh to supply electricity...

We have occasional spikes of extreme prices in both directions.. my impression is California is similar in someways...

As RE becomes a higher portion of grid electricity there is always a chance that storage might lag creating supply/demand imbalances. In a market based system price signals eventually correct things .but there is usually a bit of chaos before that happens...

In the long run grids with high RE will have lower prices, on average, but more price volatility, until the solution fully matures and is optimised.

I think that depends on the electricity market rules, and the supply/demand imbalance in the market...

For example in Australia we can get peaks with large negative prices in the wholesale market (NEM) for example you might be paid $1000 AUD per MWh to take electricity sometimes, other times you might be paid $1000 per MWh to supply electricity...

We have occasional spikes of extreme prices in both directions.. my impression is California is similar in someways...

As RE becomes a higher portion of grid electricity there is always a chance that storage might lag creating supply/demand imbalances. In a market based system price signals eventually correct things .but there is usually a bit of chaos before that happens...

In the long run grids with high RE will have lower prices, on average, but more price volatility, until the solution fully matures and is optimised.

From my reading of RenewEnergy (I don't live in Australia, so I recognize I may be missing a lot!), part of the huge swings in electricity prices arises from a large settlement window (30 minutes I believe) where the electricity price is the same, plus fossil fuel electric providers taking advantage of the system. I've seen the term 'rorting' used to describe the behavior, but I'm not familiar with that word (slang?), so I'm not using it myself. (Maybe a quick lesson in Aussie English would be helpful to this speaker of US English :D)

With 30 minutes to sell at inflated prices, providers are incented to take plants offline for maintenance or whatever, so that the rest of their plants can get a grossly inflated price for their electricity.

I believe that's shrinking the last few years.

It might be that dynamic is going on in the US as well. Oddly, I feel like I know the Australia electric grid and the big issues in it, better than I know the US grid and the big issues here. I think that's primarily because I haven't found a readable website that covers the US power grid / market.

From my reading of RenewEnergy (I don't live in Australia, so I recognize I may be missing a lot!), part of the huge swings in electricity prices arises from a large settlement window (30 minutes I believe) where the electricity price is the same, plus fossil fuel electric providers taking advantage of the system. I've seen the term 'rorting' used to describe the behavior, but I'm not familiar with that word (slang?), so I'm not using it myself. (Maybe a quick lesson in Aussie English would be helpful to this speaker of US English :D)

With 30 minutes to sell at inflated prices, providers are incented to take plants offline for maintenance or whatever, so that the rest of their plants can get a grossly inflated price for their electricity.

It might be that dynamic is going on in the US as well. Oddly, I feel like I know the Australia electric grid and the big issues in it, better than I know the US grid and the big issues here. I think that's primarily because I haven't found a readable website that covers the US power grid / market.
It's a real word, although I've only heard it used in Australia. It is usually applied to misusing existing rules, as happened to South Australia a couple of years ago.

rort

The rorting accusation springs mainly from bidding practices in the NEM (wholesale market) the last bit of capacity bid in sets the price for all participants at the highest price... these high prices tend to come late, so that capacity is held out of the market while the company bidding has other lower prices bids in which will all get the high price.

Companies are just maximising returns, the rules do in many cases favour FF participants, there is resistance to change like 5 minute settlement and boards seem overly inclined to protect the interest of large incumbents..

The state governments used to own generation and distribution (poles and wires), these were privatised and the initial rules were design to make those assets attractive to buyers. This was sold to the public as competition lowering prices, but so far that hasn't worked.

Step back bit and the average household bill is roughtly:-
  • 30% Wholesale
  • 30% Distribution (network, poles and wires)
  • 30% Retail.
While there is a lot of focus on the wholesale NEM, there are other factors which dilute it's importance, most Solar and Wind is directly contracted to retailers (PPAs), a few large retailers also own generation (Gentailers), and there is an electrcity futures market where retailers can hedge... (Even this mechanism increases prices overall IMO)...

Network prices are inflated by 'gold plating' of the network specifically over investment tin substations, the rules predicted an increase in electricity demand and demand reduced due to prices, home solar, energy efficiency, etc.

Retail is the most interesting 30%, one state Victoria in theory had a lot of competitive retailers, but prices remained high, digging deeper many of these were owned by common entities...

Retailers also had a lot of misleading contracts and offers that were hard to compare, they spent a lot of money trying to poach customers from other retailers....

It is not uncommon in Australia for "fleecing the consumer" to be a standard business practice. (Another bit of jargon, it means robbing or over charging.)

The partner for Tesla is the SA VPP is a retailer called Energy Locals, they are the closest thing we have here to an honest customer focused retailer. My hope is that Energy Locals and Tesla can expand the VPP to other states and areas and in the process introduce much needed retailer competition. A smaller retailer like energy locals needs something like VPP to help reduce their wholesale and hedging costs.

The high network cost favour "behind the meter" .i.e home solar and batteries, all we need here is home batteries at the right price, and the adoption curve will be steep. In the long run the network cost needs to be a separate item on the bill and efforts need to be made to reduce it.

Electricity prices are expected to fall in Australia, but it will sill be a good market for Powerwalls for the next 5-10 years... perhaps longer.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
  • Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey and MC3OZ
I saw this rather slanted Australian "news" report from a couple weeks ago.
Not a single mention of the simple obvious solution of battery storage.

That news channel is associated with Rupert Murdoch all his media platforms are strident campaigners against renewable energy.

However the grain of truth here is that for when there are many households with domestic solar and batteries on a local grid segment something like Tesla's V2G to intelligently manage voltage in that section of the gird is needed.

Reposting this which I originally posted in the main thread about rumours that Tesla is looking for a site for a factory in the UK:

GF could assemble the cars, but focus on Utilities. Wasn't there news like Tesla applied to be Utility provider in UK few weeks back?

Yes that is a possibility. Tesla building a big MegaPack battery and using it's utility license and their Autobidder to trade electricity. Don't need to make cars there at all!

Autobidder

Reactions: elasalle
This program is due to submit it's finding today. Certainly the solution could be summarized in one word.....Tesla.

DOD’s “Black-Start” Exercises Explore What Happens When Utilities Go Dark - Air Force Magazine

“We can do all the tabletop exercises in the world, but when you actually pull the plug, the question is, what actually goes on” Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment Robert McMahon said at the hearing hosted by two House Armed Services subcommittees. “Perhaps the most important lesson that I’ve seen is a lack of appreciation and understanding by our senior leaders at the installation level, all the way up to my level, of what we thought was going to happen versus what actually occurred, and then being able to apply those lessons learned.”

Huge opportunity to scale storage manufacture in the US. You think there's room in any of these Covid Relief bills for 5 new Gigafactories in politically strategic locations? I'm thinking Western PA, rural Wisconsin, Michigan, Colorado....

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
UK will be 60% offshore wind before long. Gonna need a LOT of storage.

Well, they'll be adding more storage soon. Kinda.

There's a 1.4GW HVDC link between Northern England and Norway expected to be operating from 2021. That's going to be hydro from Norway and wind from the UK being traded across the link.

There's also another 2 links, 1GW each being added between the UK and France. One through the Channel Tunnel, and another from Normandy to Hampshire

There's a 1.4GW HVDC link between Northern England and Norway expected to be operating from 2021. That's going to be hydro from Norway and wind from the UK being traded across the link.

There's also another 2 links, 1GW each being added between the UK and France. One through the Channel Tunnel, and another from Normandy to Hampshire
It'll be interesting to see how interlinked France/UK/Germany/Spain become as renewables scale. Gotta think France(eventually) is at a massive disadvantage trying to sell all that expensive nuclear supply. In 5-8 years UK will be selling tons of cheap excess offshore wind.

This link is controversial in Norway since it would increase the price of electricity for Norwegians. So the government has postponed the final decision on this until the end of 2020. If they voted on this today it probably would be stopped.

Source in Norwegian: Setter den omstridte NorthConnect-kabelen på vent

• Informative
This link is controversial in Norway since it would increase the price of electricity for Norwegians. So the government has postponed the final decision on this until the end of 2020. If they voted on this today it probably would be stopped.

Source in Norwegian: Setter den omstridte NorthConnect-kabelen på vent

That's a different proposed connector.

The Wikipedia page for North Sea Link, which is already under construction, says "Not to be confused with Scotland-Norway interconnector.".

The interconnector you're writing about is from Peterhead in Scotland to Norway.

NorthConnect - Wikipedia

The one I'm referring to is the North Sea Link from Blyth in England:

North Sea Link - Wikipedia

The North Sea Link was expected to increase the price of Norwegian electricity by 0.26 euro cents/kWh, for the same reason, that it effectively makes the hydropower an export industry.

There's also a 1GW link being built from Norway to Germany.

(Here in Maine companies want to build a bigger connector to Quebec in Maine (part of the New England grid) so that they can sell the hydro to Massachusetts, which will pay the highest price for it. It's going to referendum. In principle it's a good idea to have more connectors, but I don't know whether we're getting a good deal from it. Maine has the cheapest electricity in New England.)

I saw this rather slanted Australian "news" report from a couple weeks ago.
Not a single mention of the simple obvious solution of battery storage.

Battery isn't the only solution. We have some 'pumped hydro' here in Washgington state where excess power is used to pump water uphill - a gravity battery. I have seen similar ideas using concrete blocks and other ideas. Just different types of storage. The 'expert' energy minister is lying.

I'd reeeeally like to see Tesla Energy branch out into other types of stationary storage. Not to ramp the R&D, but the execution at scale.

There are plenty of technologies that only "failed" due to someone other than Elon designing the manufacture and execution. This one had me so excited, then they built a production line that looked like this:

WTF kind of effort is that? How in god's name is that scale? China owns this company now, maybe they'll do it right.

As Tesla Energy gets really really big, it seems silly to me to rely on tech meant to be lightweight for transport. Maybe they're already diversified within their gameplan.