Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you even finding the email address of your SA? Do you not get that until a VIN is assigned?
Not exactly SA, initially did test drive and the person who explained all about the car, gave his card and asked me to email him after ordering with reservation number and said he would make sure everything is fine.
So emailed him in the same thread for the hold and he did it.

Guys, do you know the estimated budget for the EV tax credit? I remember reading it somewhere @ $15.6B over 10 years which does not seem right.
If I do simple math and assume that 1M cars are sold every year which qualifies for EV tax credit (between all automakers- a conservative number) estimated EV tax credit for the year will be $8B assuming average rate of $8000 per car. With $B Billion credit per year, 10 year credit will run into $80 Billion. Am I missing something? This appears to be a huge number in terms of overall BBB tax bill.

Reactions: Sexy_owner
Guys, do you know the estimated budget for the EV tax credit? I remember reading it somewhere @ $15.6B over 10 years which does not seem right.
If I do simple math and assume that 1M cars are sold every year which qualifies for EV tax credit (between all automakers- a conservative number) estimated EV tax credit for the year will be $8B assuming average rate of $8000 per car. With $B Billion credit per year, 10 year credit will run into $80 Billion. Am I missing something? This appears to be a huge number in terms of overall BBB tax bill.
How did you come up with this “conservative” estimate of 1M EVs every year?

This CNBC article cites a Rep from Michigan who says the cost will come to around $33B over 10 years. No math on how he got to that estimate.

Tesla is selling M3+MY at a clip of 200K per quarter. With Austin factory coming up this output will definitely go up so only Tesla could sell 1M vehicles. add Mach-E, VW and Chevy cars to that mix.
Tesla is selling M3+MY at 200k per quarter in the US or worldwide? I am not saying we won't get to over 1m ev credit eligible sales, but assuming we start at 1m next year and multiplying it by 8k to get your eye catching number is probably not accurate. In the over 10 years we have had the current EV credit (without MSRP or AGI limits), only two manufacturers have exceeded current the 200k per manufacturer. And one of them with primarily PHEV sales.

Last edited:
Tesla is selling M3+MY at 200k per quarter in the US or worldwide? I am not saying we won't get to over 1m ev credit eligible sales, but assuming we start at 1m next year and multiplying it by 8k to get your eye catching number is probably not accurate. In the over 10 years we have had the current EV credit (without MSRP or AGI limits), only two manufacturers have exceeded current the 200k per manufacturer. And one of them with primarily PHEV sales.
I agree. In that case the annual EV tax credit will be lower but will still be upwards of $5B.

My EDD just dropped from late January to mid December. That makes me nervous. I'm wondering if I should put it on hold now or just wait and see how the bill plays out next week. I hate these decisions. I've been tracking this too long to lose out on the credit by a couple weeks. That would drive me crazy.

My EDD just dropped from late January to mid December. That makes me nervous. I'm wondering if I should put it on hold now or just wait and see how the bill plays out next week. I hate these decisions. I've been tracking this too long to lose out on the credit by a couple weeks. That would drive me crazy.
Probably due to all the people putting their orders on hold. Tesla should just stop allowing these lengthy holds as it's just causing more confusion down the line. I understand needing a few days or even a week to prepare for delivery, but putting your delivery on hold for 2 months and then expecting to be at the front of the line come 2022 is ridiculous. Those who ordered months ago and at the time of order were given an EDD prior to 1/1/2022 should just take delivery as expected or get their orders cancelled/moved to the back of the que. When you ordered you had an EDD and a price that you were well aware of when putting in your order. The same as those of us who ordered recently and are paying more, but have a delivery date in the spring/summer of 2022.

It would be funny if Tesla gave those willing to take early delivery in Q4 2021 a price break if their original EDD was was supposed to be in 2022.

Just another data point: I ordered Nov 5, and texting customer service, they allowed me a "one time" hold for 90 days past order date. So Feb 5 for me. Hopefully that's enough time to let the tax credit legislation work itself out. They did tell me if I drop the hold in my account I can't re-add it. I'm in no rush since my car (performance Y) can't drive in the ice with OEM tires anyway.

Reactions: Corndart and mrmtb
Just another data point: I ordered Nov 5, and texting customer service, they allowed me a "one time" hold for 90 days past order date. So Feb 5 for me. Hopefully that's enough time to let the tax credit legislation work itself out. They did tell me if I drop the hold in my account I can't re-add it. I'm in no rush since my car (performance Y) can't drive in the ice with OEM tires anyway.

Are you texting your SA or some other customer support number?

Tesla will have hit around 400,000 US sales in 2021. US sales with Giga Texas coming on line should easily reach a total of 4,000.000 for the years 2022 thru 2025. The cost of credits for Tesla alone for just the first 4 years will likely exceed 32 billion, not to mention continued growth for the rest of the decade, likely totaling well above 100 billion. Someone in the cost planning is seriously underestimating Tesla's growth, without even considering other manufacturers and the easy moneymaker of throwing a motor and a battery in gas cars to get PHEVs. Maybe they will adopt the credits before there is an adult in the room.

Tesla will have hit around 400,000 US sales in 2021. US sales with Giga Texas coming on line should easily reach a total of 4,000.000 for the years 2022 thru 2025. The cost of credits for Tesla alone for just the first 4 years will likely exceed 32 billion, not to mention continued growth for the rest of the decade, likely totaling well above 100 billion. Someone in the cost planning is seriously underestimating Tesla's growth, without even considering other manufacturers and the easy moneymaker of throwing a motor and a battery in gas cars to get PHEVs. Maybe they will adopt the credits before there is an adult in the room.
Are you guesstimating Tesla is going to sell 4 million vehicles in the US in the next 4 years? From 400k per year. And every single one of them is going to be eligible for the tax credit? I don't see how they will grow so fast so quickly with just one additional factory, but if this is the case, hopefully CBO will keep them honest and some more limits will be put to keep the total cost down.

Are you guesstimating Tesla is going to sell 4 million vehicles in the US in the next 4 years? From 400k per year. And every single one of them is going to be eligible for the tax credit? I don't see how they will grow so fast so quickly with just one additional factory, but if this is the case, hopefully CBO will keep them honest and some more limits will be put to keep the total cost down.
I really cannot envision the 8000 number sticking in the final legislation. I'm guessing maybe 4500.
Still, some form of tax credit or Point of Sale rebate is politically likely.
A PoS rebate is the least regressive methodology to adopt, which may mollify the critics of 'rebates for the rich' since it would apply regardless of income and Schedule A eligibility.
But 8 Grand ? I'm doubtful. It would really be a whopper in the BBB funding analysis.

Reactions: voxel

I would definitely wait until you get a VIN before you put on any kind of hold. As you mentioned we may even have a clearer picture of how this will all play out before you even get a VIN assigned.