Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Manchin would be sensible enough to cut the fats that don't belong in that proposal. Which would mean the lower house would have to vote on it again. I don't think we have enough time and it doesn't look very promising...
It almost certainly will, the parliamentarian will almost certainly force certain provisions to be removed that alone will send it back to the house, not to mention Manchin who's is furious Pelosi put family leave back in. This still has a ways to go.

Here is a current summary from Electrek... $12,500 EV tax credit still alive, but not yet approved. ;)

"House speaker Nancy Pelosi began Friday’s congressional session with plans to vote on the $1.75 trillion “Build Back Better Act” and concurrently the $12,500 federal EV tax credit within it. However, a small group of moderates in the House refused to support the legislation without a cost estimate from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). As a result, the House approved a procedural vote required to open Biden’s “Build Back Better Act” to passage, following an official CBO cost estimate. Those moderates opposed all signed an assurance that they would vote in favor of passage once the score is released. This vote for the larger overall spending package should take place when Congress resumes after a week-long recess.

The Build Back Better Act and its potential $12,500 EV credit still awaits passage following the CBO score and official Congressional approval. A lot can change between now and the official signature in the oval office, but here are the latest terms introduced earlier this week. Note – these exact terms are not confirmed until the bill has been officially passed:

• Federal tax credit for EVs jumps from $7,500 to $12,500
    • Keep the $7,500 incentive for new electric cars for 5 years
    • Add an additional $4,500 for EVs assembled in the US using union labor
    • Another $500 for EVs using battery packs with 50% of components (including cells) made in the US
  • Zero-emission vans, SUVs and trucks with MSRPs up to $80,000 qualify (increased from previous policy)
  • Electric sedans priced up to $55,000 MSRP qualify (stays the same)
  • The full EV tax credit will be available to individuals reporting adjusted gross incomes of $250,000 or less, $500,000 for joint filers (decreased from $400,000 for individuals/$800,000 for joint filers currently in place)
  • EVs must be made in the US starting in 2027 to qualify for any of the $12,500 credit
  • Eliminates tax credit cap after automakers hit 200,000 EVs sold, making GM and Tesla once again eligible"
So if this passes, Tesla's wouldn't be eligible for a tax credit until 2027?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So if this passes, Tesla's wouldn't be eligible for a tax credit until 2027?
No I believe that says that until 2027 any EV is eligible for the tax credit but starting in 2027 only EVs made in the US will qualify. For example the VW ID.4 is currently made in Germany. It will qualify until 2027 but then VW will have to start making them in the US to further qualify for credits.

It almost certainly will, the parliamentarian will almost certainly force certain provisions to be removed that alone will send it back to the house, not to mention Manchin who's is furious Pelosi put family leave back in. This still has a ways to go.
The House is expected to vote on this next week. The Senate will certainly make changes which the House will need to vote on again. The House's last day of the year is December 10th though so I'd think they need to vote Yes on whatever changes the Senate makes by this time. The Senate will then reconvene on December 13th for their final work period. I think this is all worst case scenario from a timing perspective and they could potentially have it passed by Thanksgiving if you're optimistic. I think absolute worst case scenario is the House has to call a special session at the end of December to get this done.

@doomsday997 this comment isn't really directed at you but more of an update to the thread. Someone correct me where I'm wrong because I don't follow politics in detail this often.

No I believe that says that until 2027 any EV is eligible for the tax credit but starting in 2027 only EVs made in the US will qualify. For example the VW ID.4 is currently made in Germany. It will qualify until 2027 but then VW will have to start making them in the US to further qualify for credits.
The Mach E wouldn't be eligible either - it has a 15% "made in US / Canada" composition.

Are you guesstimating Tesla is going to sell 4 million vehicles in the US in the next 4 years? From 400k per year. And every single one of them is going to be eligible for the tax credit? I don't see how they will grow so fast so quickly with just one additional factory, but if this is the case, hopefully CBO will keep them honest and some more limits will be put to keep the total cost down.
The current production rate for Freemont is 500,000 annually, expansion plans to 700,000. Giga Texas begins to seriously ramp up in 2022 to 1,000,000 per year. Only Model S and X don't qualify under present proposal, Models 3, Y and the Cybertruck do, My estimate is extremely conservative, and does not account for any additional US factories that are planned but not yet sited. Tesla's goal is 20 million a year worldwide, with a substantial portion, US sales. Do some research.

The funny thing is that the credits will have very little benefit to Tesla, the company, as they are selling every car they can build now, with extended lead times. The beneficiaries of the credits will be the buyers. :)

VW will be producing the US version of the id4 in the US beginning early 2022. Hyundai is planning US production of their very competitive line of BEVs. Don't doubt that the European and Japanese US factories will be producing BEVs and PHEVs in volume. Both GM and Ford will be ramping up production and the extra $4,500 will motivate keeping a good percentage in the US, like the F150 lightning and Bolt are now. Stellantis won't be far behind. Remember, ALL foreign made BEVs and PHEVs will be eligible, initially. The credit cost estimates are pathetically low.

Does anyone know if editing your design for an order on hold removes the hold? Both the "remove hold" and "edit order" buttons are clickable, I just don't want to lose my one time hold!

I don't know but I DO know it changes the price to the current price so I've stopped myself from editing an order as it would have instantly added $4K to my order on top of the changes.

Reactions: GameTheory
The funny thing is that the credits will have very little benefit to Tesla, the company, as they are selling every car they can build now, with extended lead times. The beneficiaries of the credits will be the buyers. :)
I disagree with this. Tesla has raised MSRP/prices up (~$8000) so far in anticipation of this credit. It's true people were buying Tesla cars before the credit news, but, it will be Tesla who would benefit from the credit ($8000), selling their cars with much higher margin/profits.

I disagree with this. Tesla has raised MSRP/prices up (~$8000) so far in anticipation of this credit. It's true people were buying Tesla cars before the credit news, but, it will be Tesla who would benefit from the credit ($8000), selling their cars with much higher margin/profits.
I think you don't understand some fundamentals of our economy. Everything is up across the board (materials, labor, transportation) in virtually every segment of the GLOBAL economy.

It's true Tesla enjoy higher margins than most automakers but that is largely due to a clean sheet design, huge investments they've made in production techniques and materials, and consumer demand. The EV incentives (or lack thereof so far for them, for years now) have nothing to do with either their price increases or their profit margins.

Believe that Tesla will use any additional profits from rebates to increase production capability. The government will get what they want, in additional production of desirable EVs and the hiring of lots more workers at the plants.
In order to phase out polluting gassers there will need to be produced millions more EVs.

Right now, most people want to drive Teslas more than the other EVs. That may change as the newer stuff gets on the market, but right now it seems that Tesla is the one most aspirational.

I think you don't understand some fundamentals of our economy. Everything is up across the board (materials, labor, transportation) in virtually every segment of the GLOBAL economy.

It's true Tesla enjoy higher margins than most automakers but that is largely due to a clean sheet design, huge investments they've made in production techniques and materials, and consumer demand. The EV incentives (or lack thereof so far for them, for years now) have nothing to do with either their price increases or their profit margins.
The MYLR price is up $8K, or 16%, over a year ago. Some of that may be due to increased material and labor costs, but it’s hard to imagine that this explains all of this big price hike. I would guess most of the increase is due to the huge demand and the anticipation of the coming tax credit. Tesla is ramping up production, and I’m sure their pricing goal is to make the demand equal their eventual production capacity. If the government gives everyone $8K to buy one of their cars, they can raise their price by $8K and maintain the same demand. It turns out Adam Smith was right, the principle of supply and demand still holds.

The MYLR price is up $8K, or 16%, over a year ago. Some of that may be due to increased material and labor costs, but it’s hard to imagine that this explains all of this big price hike. I would guess most of the increase is due to the huge demand and the anticipation of the coming tax credit. Tesla is ramping up production, and I’m sure their pricing goal is to make the demand equal their eventual production capacity. If the government gives everyone $8K to buy one of their cars, they can raise their price by $8K and maintain the same demand. It turns out Adam Smith was right, the principle of supply and demand still holds.

Expand the chart to see 12 month YoY increases across various dimensions of our economy. Vehicle prices are up 8.7% on average.

I probably shouldn't have so strongly stated it has "no impact", but attributing potential legislation for EV incentives to the Tesla price increase would be ignoring all of the other pressures on pricing right now.

Thumbs up! Corporate greed! Michael Douglas was right. Greed is good! LOL.

Last edited:
Tesla's margins have increased significantly during this period. It's pretty obvious that they're taking advantage of the global supply crunches restricting their competitors.

Tesla also ran at a loss until 2020 and put a lot of money into R&D and infrastructure to ramp car production. It's simple economies of scale, their investments are paying off with MY and M3. That doesn't mean there are no headwinds hitting them on materials, parts, labor, transportation/logistics costs as well. It's hitting nearly every aspect of our economy.

The EV legislation is a bogey, it has nothing to do with price increases and I'd assert demand will continue unabated even if this legislation collapses and doesn't get passed. But opinions are like belly buttons and everyone has them so 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: voxel
The current production rate for Freemont is 500,000 annually, expansion plans to 700,000. Giga Texas begins to seriously ramp up in 2022 to 1,000,000 per year. Only Model S and X don't qualify under present proposal, Models 3, Y and the Cybertruck do, My estimate is extremely conservative, and does not account for any additional US factories that are planned but not yet sited. Tesla's goal is 20 million a year worldwide, with a substantial portion, US sales. Do some research.
A company that has sold about a million cars in the US total will suddenly accelerate to selling a million cars *in the US* in 2022 *conservatively*? OK, then.

What really sucks is the House version which is still alive is not retro like the Senate Bill to May 21. Hope fully taking delivery in Dec 21 but wont get the benefit of the Tax Rebate :( as it will be effective Dec 31 or when the bill is signed Which ever is later is the effective date.
If we were to back date it to May 21, the people who made the purchases pre-May 21 would complaint! Where do we draw the line? I think the problem as always is Money. They are trying to shrink this bill as much as possible. Thank you, Mr. Manchin!

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart