Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised that they passed the funding bill so quickly, but the Senate still has the 2022 Defense Authorization bill to get through as well. That hasn't been going smoothly so far.

Manchin is the key to getting the BBB bill passed, and he is signaling he is opposed to the gimmicks in it that aim to make it appear cheaper. Then there are the trade issues mentioned above. The simple answer is to drop the EV union portion from the bill, but I don't think that sits well with certain lawmakers who need union support in the mid-term elections. I also think that is a much smaller issue than the bigger spending programs in the bill.

I'm taking delivery in the next week or two - I would maybe wait if I could - but I am quite skeptical that this gets done by the end of the year.

I got the 12/9 email too. It seems quite apparent in my communications with Tesla that they are in a zero tolerance mode and want to get those Q4 delivery numbers up. I am sure they are also figuring they don't have enough room to store all of these vehicles that folks want to delay delivery on. The BBB plan is looking iffy and I also don't know for sure if I could keep the tax credit if I decide the Y is not for me and I sell the vehicle. So all that being said I decided to hit the "I'm Ready" button. States they are building my car and delivery window of 12/18 to 12/31. If I have to I'll take it I will. If I can get them to hold off til 1st week January I will do that. If I take it in December I could sell it if I don't think it suits my needs and make about $12,000 to $15,000 on it. If I can hold off til January I can still do that plus "maybe" get the tax credit too. I already have a M3 SR+ that I really like so far and have a CyberTruck on order...but don't think I'll see that for a long time!
I think I'll call my SA and indicate I'll take delivery now instead of waiting. Not sure that will matter since I only ordered my Y a week ago.

Now that the government is funded until Feb and shutdown has been averted, this will free up bandwidth to work on BBB I the Senate. Let’s hope this gets brought to a vote in the Senate next week.
It’s not looking good for this year Manchin is already backing off, as for a vote next week pretty much zero chance of that happening

I am surprised that they passed the funding bill so quickly, but the Senate still has the 2022 Defense Authorization bill to get through as well. That hasn't been going smoothly so far.

Manchin is the key to getting the BBB bill passed, and he is signaling he is opposed to the gimmicks in it that aim to make it appear cheaper. Then there are the trade issues mentioned above. The simple answer is to drop the EV union portion from the bill, but I don't think that sits well with certain lawmakers who need union support in the mid-term elections. I also think that is a much smaller issue than the bigger spending programs in the bill.

I'm taking delivery in the next week or two - I would maybe wait if I could - but I am quite skeptical that this gets done by the end of the year.
They also have the debt ceiling to contend with by the 15th as well

It’s not looking good for this year Manchin is already backing off, as for a vote next week pretty much zero chance of that happening

He might also just be posturing so he has more leverage in getting the modifications he wants. Time will tell!

I got the 12/9 email too. It seems quite apparent in my communications with Tesla that they are in a zero tolerance mode and want to get those Q4 delivery numbers up. I am sure they are also figuring they don't have enough room to store all of these vehicles that folks want to delay delivery on. The BBB plan is looking iffy and I also don't know for sure if I could keep the tax credit if I decide the Y is not for me and I sell the vehicle. So all that being said I decided to hit the "I'm Ready" button. States they are building my car and delivery window of 12/18 to 12/31. If I have to I'll take it I will. If I can get them to hold off til 1st week January I will do that. If I take it in December I could sell it if I don't think it suits my needs and make about $12,000 to $15,000 on it. If I can hold off til January I can still do that plus "maybe" get the tax credit too. I already have a M3 SR+ that I really like so far and have a CyberTruck on order...but don't think I'll see that for a long time!
Followup. So once I hit the "I'm Ready" button I got VIN within hours and a new window of 12/8 to 12/14. Also received an email that flat out stated if I don't take delivery by 12/31 the order will be automatically cancelled. Anyone want to by a Model Y LR White 18" Wheels, no FSD?

How long since original order date has it been on hold?

Followup. So once I hit the "I'm Ready" button I got VIN within hours and a new window of 12/8 to 12/14. Also received an email that flat out stated if I don't take delivery by 12/31 the order will be automatically cancelled. Anyone want to by a Model Y LR White 18" Wheels, no FSD?
Bastards! They string us along for months, and then treat us this way...makes me want to cancel my order and tell Elon to F-off! Pissed!

Reactions: Noflash
It is doubtful that any Tax bill will be retroactive. It is structured to incentivize buyers to choose Electric over gassers.

If you have already taken delivery, what would be the benefit to getting an retroactive rebate.

Probably the incentive will go into effect the day it is signed into law.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC