Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
??? I’ve never seen a paywall in front of this and can access it from personal and work. So not sure.

In short, they see no chance Manchin folds on the cost and inflation. He’s gone so far to mention leaving the Democratic Party - the thinking is this bill is currently so expensive and left leaning he will surely lose the next election if he signs off. At this point he’s gone too far to agree.
He going to make a stand on these, and at minimum gut the bill in a way that will make him a hero to the other party, and then he will create some hyped drama, probably reaction to something one of the further-left of his party says about him, and make a big show of leaving the party.
Then he would be an absolutely lock for reelection from the GOP.,.. and given trend lines among voters and how close his last election bid was, highly unlikely no matter what he does with BBB to be reelected as a Demo.
The tricky part is he hasn’t really taken a shot at the core EV credits, just the union parts, and has taken shots at very specific other parts of the bill. SO even if the scenario above plays out he could leave a husk of BBB that includes the basic $7,500 or $8000 credits. Then the question becomes whether the left will be mad enough at him to sink it and come back with just small parts of the bill individually.
But it’s not happening by Jan 1., none of it, and then it becomes a question of when in 2022 your EDD shows and whether any vestige of credits is modified to be in effect only after date it is approved... So complicated!

3 options
1. Take delivery asap (potentially this year)
2. Take delivery on or after Jan 1, 2022
3. Take delivery after bill passes which might make it > 38000 migration.
My preference is #2 since it might be retroactive to Jan 1 and who knows when its going to pass.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time wrapping around the idea of a tax credit when we're spending well over $60K for a car. If Tesla buyers can afford the car they don't need a tax credit. Inflation is already bad enough and we sure as hell don't need more.
I don’t think it follows that if you can afford $60K then you can necessarily afford $50K.

Any time you reduce the price you increase the number of people that can afford it.

Reactions: preilly44
I'm having a hard time wrapping around the idea of a tax credit when we're spending well over $60K for a car. If Tesla buyers can afford the car they don't need a tax credit. Inflation is already bad enough and we sure as hell don't need more.
Economic incentives work even if the parties don’t “need” them. 5c grocery bags made people significantly more likely to bring them. The idea is to incentivize more EVs.

Now, that said, there is an impetus to ensure that the money spent on incentives results in maximum results. Your argument could reasonably be that these incentives will be more effective with alternate vehicles that have a lower MSRP, assuming there are limited funds for incentive purposes.

Moderator note: This post and some replies to it were merged in from a thread originally posted in a Model Y sub-forum.

Manchin kills EV tax credit bill.

I know a lot of you were counting on that tax credit. Vent your anger below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: preilly44
My opinion is that a smaller package will be passed in January / February. I think the smaller package will include climate change related issues, including some kind of EV tax credit. It will still be effective 1/1/22.

A bigger unknown is that the current House version of BBB does income tests on the prior year as well as the current year (in the case of taking delivery in 2022, they would evaluate you on 2021 and 2022 income) - if EITHER one is over the designated limits, it will reduce the credit you receive. Will they keep the 2 year income test? What will be the phase out limits? These are unknows...