Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone is currently nearing 3 years old. Works fine. Works faster than when I bought it thanks to iOS 12. The slowdown issues are mostly imaginary, some real due to 3rd parties, i.e. the downloadable apps grow in size at a staggering rate. App developers seem to throw the kitchen sink at their apps. If you use these, the phone will seem slower over time.
Mine is an iPhone 6 which came out in 2014. It’s definitely not my imagination that it’s slower. When I “upgraded” to iOS 12, what I noticed getting much slower was the opening of PDFs of building floor plans, in the Books app. That’s an official Apple app. I did get the battery replacement that Apple offered way back, and that did fix the shutting down issues, but I still have to charge my phone at least twice a day. So far my phone is still functional, but by no means as quick and nice to use as the day I got it.

Last edited:
Mine is an iPhone 6 which came out in 2014. It’s definitely not my imagination that it’s slower. When I “upgraded” to iOS 12, what I noticed getting much slower was the opening of PDFs of building floor plans, in the Books app. That’s an official Apple app. I did get the battery replacement that Apple offered way back, and that did fix the shutting down issues, but I still have to charge my phone at least twice a day. So far my phone is still functional, but my no means as quick and nice to use as the day I got it.
Sorry iOS 12 is definitely and significantly faster than iOS 11 due to low-level enhancements.

This article clearly states that older iPhones were intentionally slowed down to smooth out the current draw.

Seriously, read my description above. If you was to spin things to line up with confirmation bias, then don't.

All you guys are doing is muddying the waters with what Tesla has done wrong, just proving me right here.

Sorry iOS 12 is definitely and significantly faster than iOS 11 due to low-level enhancements.
This is the only description above that I see. How does this prove you’re right? Regardless of you being right or not about iOS 12 being faster than iOS 11, it’s still obvious to me that in my past experiences, Apple devices quickly become obsolete. Whether it’s planned obsolescence or not I don’t know for sure. So far what I’m seeing with Tesla is even scarier. The only fix seems to be to purchase a new car.

Reactions: FlatSix911
This is the only description above that I see. How does this prove you’re right? Regardless of you being right or not about iOS 12 being faster than iOS 11, it’s still obvious to me that in my past experiences that Apple devices quickly become obsolete. Whether it’s planned obsolescence or not I don’t know for sure. So far what I’m seeing with Tesla is even scarier. The only fix seems to be to purchase a new car.

Did you wait for spotlight to finish indexing on your upgraded iOS before checking how fast it was?

Did you wait for spotlight to finish indexing on your upgraded iOS before checking how fast it was?
How long do I have to wait and how will I know if it’s finished indexing? I installed the latest update about an hour ago. It’s still taking up to 10 seconds to fully render some of the PDFs that use to take one or two seconds. Apple did make substantial changes to the Books app, so the phone might be faster, but the app changes are causing the slowdown with the PDF rendering. The PDF files are physically on my phone, so it’s not a connectivity issue.

If Apple can change their ways then that gives me hope for Tesla. It would just be nice to know if Tesla plans on addressing the obsolescence of our UIs, and if they plan on supporting older MCU’s or at least offering a reasonable upgrade. So far the only thing I’ve seen from Tesla is that everything is okay and that each software upgrade is an improvement. It’s getting worrisome.

How long do I have to wait and how will I know if it’s finished indexing? I installed the latest update about an hour ago. It’s still taking up to 10 seconds to fully render some of the PDFs that use to take one or two seconds. Apple did make substantial changes to the Books app, so the phone might be faster, but the app changes are causing the slowdown with the PDF rendering. The PDF files are physically on my phone, so it’s not a connectivity issue.

If Apple can change their ways then that gives me hope for Tesla. It would just be nice to know if Tesla plans on addressing the obsolescence of our UIs, and if they plan on supporting older MCU’s or at least offering a reasonable upgrade. So far the only thing I’ve seen from Tesla is that everything is okay and that each software upgrade is an improvement. It’s getting worrisome.

You have to wait somewhere between hours and days depending on contents for the process to finish. Other caches and indexes are rebuilding too. Your phone will be slow and have extra battery usage during this time. How to tell it's done? Get some utility like sysstatslite, and see that the idle cpu usage is low over a good period of time. Another clue is that if you use the search function it will be slow and missing stuff. Also if you're on any beta including public beta, performance/battery life is always in the gutter as extra debugging is turned on.

I don't use PDF's unless I have to, I just tried loading a bunch of them from google drive on my 7 plus. Speed seems comparable to desktop. Opens in 0-3 seconds, which should include connectivity time.

Seriously, read my description above. If you was to spin things to line up with confirmation bias, then don't.

Seriously, read the article (and hundreds of others) that show that the devices were intentionally slowed down to reduce current draw on the battery -- the end result being that the phones didn't suddenly shut down as they had been. You're just focusing on the "shutting down" part but not the "slowing down" part. Also, I have no confirmation bias since this didn't happen to me personally. I'm only repeating what has been published all over the world and Apple admitted to.

All you guys are doing is muddying the waters with what Tesla has done wrong, just proving me right here.

I think at a minimum, I think the phrase:
Apple never did anything remotely like this.

...is just not true. Apple certainly did something remotely similar to what Tesla did. Whether Tesla did it intentionally or not (a) doesn't matter and (b) has yet to be proven. The end result is that Tesla crippled their older technology without regard for hundreds of thousands of MCU1 MS/MX owners. And now they're forcing that update on these same customers (without notice, approval, or confirmation) who have intentionally chosen to stay one version behind.

Seriously, read the article (and hundreds of others) that show that the devices were intentionally slowed down to reduce current draw on the battery -- the end result being that the phones didn't suddenly shut down as they had been. You're just focusing on the "shutting down" part but not the "slowing down" part. Also, I have no confirmation bias since this didn't happen to me personally. I'm only repeating what has been published all over the world and Apple admitted to.
You can find an article to say anything, then draw any conclusion from them. By the time we get to an end-user reading an article, you've gone through at least 2 bad translations, just gibberish coming out. Look at most articles on Tesla, they are complete garbage. I know what actually happened, and I'm attempting to communicate that to you. Where Apple messed up with is messaging. Something which they are usually pretty good at, unlike Tesla who has the communication skills of an autistic toddler.

I think at a minimum, I think the phrase:

...is just not true. Apple certainly did something remotely similar to what Tesla did. Whether Tesla did it intentionally or not (a) doesn't matter and (b) has yet to be proven. The end result is that Tesla crippled their older technology without regard for hundreds of thousands of MCU1 MS/MX owners. And now they're forcing that update on these same customers (without notice, approval, or confirmation) who have intentionally chosen to stay one version behind.

Intention does absolutely matter, especially in court. No, it's not remotely similar other than they both involve software updates.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You can find an article to say anything, then draw any conclusion from them. By the time we get to an end-user reading an article, you've gone through at least 2 bad translations, just gibberish coming out.

Ok, so you're saying CNN is fake news? (where have I heard that before?)

Ok, fine. How about what Apple has said about it- no websites, no translations. no gibberish--- this is DIRECTLY FROM APPLE:

iPhone Battery and Performance

This performance management works by looking at a combination of the device temperature, battery state of charge, and battery impedance. Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns. As a result, the device workloads will self-balance, allowing a smoother distribution of system tasks, rather than larger, quick spikes of performance all at once. In some cases, a user may not notice any differences in daily device performance. The level of perceived change depends on how much performance management is required for a particular device.

In cases that require more extreme forms of this performance management, the user may notice effects such as:

• Longer app launch times
  • Lower frame rates while scrolling
  • Backlight dimming (which can be overridden in Control Center)
  • Lower speaker volume by up to -3dB
  • Gradual frame rate reductions in some apps
  • During the most extreme cases, the camera flash will be disabled as visible in the camera UI
  • Apps refreshing in background may require reloading upon launch

Ok, now please tell me how that's not accurate, and the iPhone slowdowns are bad reporting, bad translations, gibberish, imaginary, or 3rd party apps. Or is this just "bad messaging"?

Last edited:
Ok, so you're saying CNN is fake news? Ok, fine. How about what Apple has said about it- no websites, no translations. no gibberish--- this is DIRECTLY FROM APPLE:

iPhone Battery and Performance

Ok, now please tell me how that's not accurate, and the iPhone slowdowns are bad reporting, bad translations, gibberish, imaginary, or 3rd party apps. Or is this just "bad messaging"?

You're reading what you want to read out of that statement, instead of what it says. Perhaps changing the boldness would help?

Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

Yes, again, you're only focusing on the "unexpected shutdown" part and ignoring the intentional slowdowns needed to prevent them.

I'm not reading anything into that statement. It says right there in Apple's own words the software will do a number of things to lower the performance of the phone.

No I'm not ignoring it. The difference here is understanding the characteristics of cpu power draw and battery performance and not. The device is up against limits of physics, the two choices are die or slow down. Before this fix there were widespread complaints of old phones shutting down randomly.

Reactions: appleguru
The device is up against limits of physics, the two choices are die or slow down.

I don't think anyone is disputing that. Whether that was Apple's intention behind the move (vs. planned obsolescence) , we'll never actually know. The battery management was a convenient story for Apple to put out there, but I'm sure there's some truth to it, also.

But your first argument out of the gate was to completely deny there were any OS based (i.e. Apple caused) based slowdowns:

. The slowdown issues are mostly imaginary, some real due to 3rd parties, i.e. the downloadable apps grow in size at a staggering rate. App developers seem to throw the kitchen sink at their apps. If you use these, the phone will seem slower over time.

And whenever we provided proof there actually were slowdowns based on the OS doing battery/CPU management, you discounted all of that, too as garbage reporting or mis-translations.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is disputing that. Whether that was Apple's intention behind the move (vs. planned obsolescence) , we'll never actually know. The battery management was a convenient story for Apple to put out there, but I'm sure there's some truth to it, also.

But your first argument out of the gate was to completely deny there were any OS based (i.e. Apple caused) based slowdowns:

And whenever we provided proof there actually were slowdowns based on the OS doing battery/CPU management, you discounted all of that, too as garbage reporting or mis-translations.

You don't want to "get it", so you won't. You know what, at this point I have to say congratulations. You guys have successfully diminished your case against Tesla as these arguments can now be disposed of in the same rubbish bin.

Apple's problem was communication. They throttled devices without informing the end users. I believe their eventual explanation that it was to prevent automatic shutdown, though they should never have done that without telling me! It seems like unexpected shutdowns would be a better way to force people to buy new phones than throttling speed a little bit in a way most people wouldn't notice.

After updating the software, they now do tell the end user and give them an option to not throttle. So Apple made the software better instead of worse!