Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too and I’m worried. I detest v9 so much that I cancelled plans to upgrade to the p100d when they announced to free ludicrous upgrade for existing Tesla openers. I’ll revist upgrading my P85DL if v9 ever fixes the many many problems it has.

Really? I’ve used both and now have V9. Sure there are things I don’t like about V9. But to “detest” to that degree? I guess I have bigger problems in life to get riled up over. Woah is me. The added benefits of all the other upgrades far outweigh the V8 benefits IMHO. Heck, just the free ludicrous upgrade alone would cover it.

Yes. I did a 400 mile drive this week for the first time on V9. The Nav is essentially USELESS, BROKEN, and FRUSTRATING. I paid $500 to upgrade to LTE and before V9, the map tiles would load very fast. Not a single complaint.

With V9, I get into this extremely frustrating loop where I have Nav going with my destination -- I 'zoom' very close to the destination pin to review the road names and necessary turns well before I get there (like finding a parking garage). FIRST problem: I zoom in, and the map tiles NEVER load. Just a blank nav screen. So I wait, wait, wait, wait for the tiles to load, and then SECOND PROBLEM: OUT OF NOWHERE, the nav map resets itself to the car's current position.

I WAS NEVER ABLE TO VIEW THE ROADS AND TURNS AT THE DESTINATION, even when it popped up and said "auto tracking off".. it never actually TURNED OFF.

I don't know how they farked up the Nav so much with V9, but it's USELESS to me now.

Will join class action lawsuit. A major function of my car has been broken in a significant way now. All the other V9 UI crap I resolved myself to just "get used to".. but I did not sign up to have my car broken with forced software updates. How this crap gets through testing is baffling. Or they just don't test their software, which is much more likely.

Man... This all seems crazy to me. I have MCU1 (AP2) so I would assume the software should (other than AP) function the same. I haven't experienced any major issue. Actually improved some of the problems I was having with V8. Like the phone not answering. Otherwise it seems to do the job just fine.

I've been on three 500+ mile road trips since upgrading. I have to say, despite all my other gripes about Tesla software, V9 FINALLY got the Route Planner estimate to be relatively close. In V8, it was alway dramatically incorrect, require ABRP to always be in the browser.

In the end, there are still some simple things Tesla can do that have driven me crazy for years now:

Why does media start playing on my phone when I open the back door? I load a bag, a kid, whatever and the entire car turns on. No car in history has ever done this, it makes no sense and is dumb. WTF?

Why is the wifi antenna in the mirror and for that matter why the hell does it work worse than my 6" smart phone. You have a land yacht to put an antenna(s) anywhere. WTF?

Lastly and probably to most frustrating, why does it take 30 seconds to answer a phone call? I click "answer" and 30 seconds later I hear the person on the other end saying "hello?" "Hello!" WTF?

Really? I’ve used both and now have V9. Sure there are things I don’t like about V9. But to “detest” to that degree? I guess I have bigger problems in life to get riled up over. Woah is me. The added benefits of all the other upgrades far outweigh the V8 benefits IMHO. Heck, just the free ludicrous upgrade alone would cover it.

What added benefits are you referring to? Games, whoopy cushion?

Reactions: neroden
Sentry, updated AP, dashcam. Not to mention the added hardware like new suspension, longer range, better performance.

Except that v9 won't change or improve any of the items you listed in an ap1 car.

The improved range is due to the new front motor. The improved suspension is also a hardware change. Neither has anything to do with v9.

Have you actually been reading this thread?

Last edited:
Except that v9 won't change or improve any of the items you listed in an ap1 car.

The improved range is due to the new front motor. The improved suspension is also a hardware change. Neither has anything to do with v9.

I understand that it won’t help with an AP1 car.

My initial response to you was in regards to what you wrote: “I detest v9 so much that I cancelled plans to upgrade to the p100d when they announced to free ludicrous upgrade for existing Tesla openers.”

Yeah. At this point I have to agree. Non-AP and AP1 cars don't really get anything out of V9 other than an interface designed for horizontal screens. The ONLY thing Tesla has sorta mentioned is the battery fire issue (which might not be a thing) and the new EU regs. Both of which could have been handled without forced updates from the V8 interface on older vehicles.

Reactions: am_dmd
upload_2019-6-14_17-14-50.png

Saw this on my FB Feed.

I can't stand the fracking arrogance here stating nags have no purpose and think its clever to install oranges and other defeat devices.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

VIDEO: Driver apparently fast asleep while Tesla is on autopilot on 405 Fwy

What's up @wk057 ?

It takes WILLFUL effort to defeat the nag. When something happens like the above AND a violation happens, it should be a criminal offense.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911 and SO16
Not that it changes the consequences any, but (as I posted on Facebook) I honestly believe each and every one of these "asleep while on AP" videos are faked, pranks, or hoaxes by the driver just to freak out other people and get in the news like this. It's so easy to just "look asleep" while holding the wheel and driving normally.

Not that it changes the consequences any, but (as I posted on Facebook) I honestly believe each and every one of these "asleep while on AP" videos are faked, pranks, or hoaxes by the driver just to freak out other people and get in the news like this. It's so easy to just "look asleep" while holding the wheel and driving normally.

Perhaps, I can’t confirm or deny either way. What I do know is the one time it doesn’t and people die is when every Tesla owner is guilty by association.

View attachment 419382

Saw this on my FB Feed.

I can't stand the fracking arrogance here stating nags have no purpose and think its clever to install oranges and other defeat devices.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

VIDEO: Driver apparently fast asleep while Tesla is on autopilot on 405 Fwy

What's up @wk057 ?

It takes WILLFUL effort to defeat the nag. When something happens like the above AND a violation happens, it should be a criminal offense.

Given the constant nags, I've been thinking about installing a defeat device myself so I don't get nagged every 20 seconds. I suspect the idiot that fell asleep only did this because of the increased nag frequency.

Given the constant nags, I've been thinking about installing a defeat device myself so I don't get nagged every 20 seconds. I suspect the idiot that fell asleep only did this because of the increased nag frequency.

Agreed. The old nag intervals were tolerable and a balance between treated like an adult vs driving with your mother. Getting excessively nagged just encourages people to find ways to defeat it.

The torque method was an afterthought and wasn't designed to sense driver attention. I'm surprised Tesla hasn't leveraged the cabin camera in the 3 for eye tracking. Maybe that would mean be admitting S/X implementations are flawed designs.

My car was updated from ver 8.1 to 9 (2019.16.3.2) sometime between yesterday afternoon and this morning without my consent or advance notification.

I am traveling a lot lately and had read that several people with 2012 or 2013 cars could no longer supercharge after updating to ver 9 due to a compatibility issue between the early cars on ver 9 and the first generation of superchargers. Thus, I stayed on ver 8.1 to avoid any potential problem. Needless to say, I will not be happy if I get stranded at an old supercharger because of this bug.

I’m also not pleased with the functionality of ver 9, in particular the need for numerous touchscreen presses to accomplish what took only one touchscreen press with ver 8.1.

My car was updated from ver 8.1 to 9 (2019.16.3.2) sometime between yesterday afternoon and this morning without my consent or advance notification.

I am traveling a lot lately and had read that several people with 2012 or 2013 cars could no longer supercharge after updating to ver 9 due to a compatibility issue between the early cars on ver 9 and the first generation of superchargers. Thus, I stayed on ver 8.1 to avoid any potential problem. Needless to say, I will not be happy if I get stranded at an old supercharger because of this bug.

I’m also not pleased with the functionality of ver 9, in particular the need for numerous touchscreen presses to accomplish what took only one touchscreen press with ver 8.1.

Welcome to the unhappy club ;)

Tesla should have replaced/patched all gen 1 superchargers before v9 was released.

Voluntary or involuntary updates.

Rookie infrastructure move. :(

I would expect older software to not work but not have new software break things.

Last edited: