Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone may have mentioned this already but since the EU is now enforcing some stupid regulations, Tesla was forced to force all vehicles to 2019.16.x. I mean sucks to be you. I personally find V9 just fine but if I were Tesla I would support software for maybe a year, then ban everyone who isn't updated from using the LTE service, Google Maps, Music, Superchargers, etc... They just have too much to lose in the media and from regulators at this point. All it takes is one or two more idiots watching DVDs or texting on AP and the general public and stockholders could kill the Tesla experiment. All the automakers, aerospace companies and all their employees and all their lobbyists are looking for the slightest toe hold; then strike to kill the Elon Musk brand. Keeping your car on V8 because you don't like the music player is your choice, but you're not going to get any sympathy from me.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Someone may have mentioned this already but since the EU is now enforcing some stupid regulations, Tesla was forced to force all vehicles to 2019.16.x. I mean sucks to be you. I personally find V9 just fine but if I were Tesla I would support software for maybe a year, then ban everyone who isn't updated from using the LTE service, Google Maps, Music, Superchargers, etc... They just have too much to lose in the media and from regulators at this point. All it takes is one or two more idiots watching DVDs or texting on AP and the general public and stockholders could kill the Tesla experiment. All the automakers, aerospace companies and all their employees and all their lobbyists are looking for the slightest toe hold; then strike to kill the Elon Musk brand. Keeping your car on V8 because you don't like the music player is your choice, but you're not going to get any sympathy from me.

What was your experience with v6 and v7 UI?

Fun little story about updates- GM Took 5 Years to Fix a Full-Takeover Hack in Millions of OnStar Cars

I took a undergrad security class with the guy that was the advisor for the original autosec papers. (The news back in 2008-2012 were too distracted by the auto bailout to report on this) The papers are fun/scary reads... They were doing things like starting your car with the CD player. The scariest was using onstar (through a phone) to remotely control your car. GM actually used the remote exploit they found to hack all the vulnerable systems and then apply a patch to fix said vulnerability.

Everyone has OTA ability now but only BMW and Tesla push features through OTA. This is a problem for people like OP who DON'T want the new features but the security/safety fixes are bundled together so from the OEM's standpoint- they rather you complain on here about features sucking than your car lighting on fire or hijacked.

The other option is they recall 16 million cars. Which actually never happened for GM because.. well it's 16 million cars that's a one way ticket to bankruptcy.

Last edited:
What was your experience with v6 and v7 UI?
I think the first version I had was late v7. I liked it fine. However, I like all the features of V9 better. AP2 has drastically improved from completely terrifying unless you were on an empty highway to only terrifying when using it with NAP. Lane change, battery life, route planner estimations, blind spot monitoring all have improved dramatically. Emergency braking seems to actually do something in AP2 now and the chance of a battery fire has been greatly reduced. This is all not to mention the 1sec my 0-60 time has improved. So keeping V8 cause you like it, is fine. I just don't understand why anyone should have any sympathy. Disconnect your car from the Tesla infrastructure if you don't want to use it. V8 probably even has security holes that were closed in V9, why would Tesla allow a less secure system keep connecting to their network. I mean Tesla provides these services to post warranty vehicles as a courtesy, LTE, server access and superchargers are Tesla property. Don't be a whiny and entitled American.

However I still don't understand why the MCU, AC, Radio and such all turn on when you open any door. Loading my kid into the back and the AC starts, the radio starts blaring and then I close the door, walk to the drivers door and it repeats the process. This is just dumb and lazy. Also, why the hell does my audiobook start playing on my phone anytime the MCU turns on. Why do different audio sources not remember their volume. These were all things that my 2003 Audi and 2014 Subaru had figured out and can be solved by software.

Or it might have updated for some other reason. Or no reason at all. It's hard to tell, because of zero communication from Tesla!
There was communication! It was due to the new EU regulations. Any Tesla being operated within the EU (regardless of where you bought it) now limits steering wheel deflection and auto lane change timing when using AP. Just like even if you bought an iPhone in NYC, when being used in Belfast it will conform to EU regulations. You don't have to get the "iOS X, Belfast Edition" they just bake in to the software based on where it is being used.

Personally I don't have a problem with the UI. Do I think it is perfect? no. I have only worked with prior releases on a limited basis. To me these are 1st world problems people are bringing up. If I am Musk, I am thinking most of the "safety" concerns are short-term issues anyway because true autonomous is going to be hitting the street.

Either way, forcing an update on complex implementations where lives are at stake is not uncommon and frankly sometimes necessary. Be glad updates can happen over the airwaves and you aren't receiving a recall notice via snail mail with having to followup with a trip to the dealer.

Did the UI go backwards? Maybe on the outside....but remember there are tons of updates at all levels of the stack that are in play when there is a push. It is very probable that this update was needed to keep you safer. We need to remember that.

OP how old are you? I get not liking change, but come on you bought a Tesla. Its a computer! Did you really think it was going to stay the same forever? Its just time to move on. In a few years you'll forget all about this.

What does my age have to do with anything? I've owned two Teslas sine 2014. I said above that I really don't have a problem with "change", I have a problem with Tesla BREAKING their own software. Many of the cosmetic changes are just fine compared to 6.x or 7.x. But when they increase the distractions and make the UI remarkably inconsistent, that's when I have a problem.

if I were Tesla I would support software for maybe a year, then ban everyone who isn't updated from using the LTE service, Google Maps, Music, Superchargers, etc...

And I agree! If they wanted to do that, I'm all for it. BUT THEY NEED TO COMMUNICATE AN ACTUAL POLICY. All we get is stark silence. No policy, no white papers explaining why they do what they do. If they could back up with real research and user testing that V9 is an OBJECTIVE improvement, I'd be OK with that. But they operate in an ivory tower and do whatever they (and Elon) wants.

Keeping your car on V8 because you don't like the music player is your choice,

I never said anything about how the media player works (or doesn't for that matter).

This is a problem for people like OP who DON'T want the new features but the security/safety fixes are bundled together so from the OEM's standpoint-

I just want Tesla to stop making their software WORSE. Harder to use. More distracting. Less safe. I can handle all kinds of insignificant UI changes, and have for many many products and services, your brain adjusts. There are tons of cosmetic UI elements of iOS that I just hate, but they aren't safety issues and they don't make the UI harder to use. It's just ugly. I don't complain to Apple about that. And I think people keep missing the point here, I did not create this thread to complain about insignificant UI changes ("rounded corners", etc).. but that now my car is significantly less safe to drive, WITHOUT asking me or telling me (via a published deprecation policy) first.

AP2 has drastically improved from completely terrifying unless you were on an empty highway to only terrifying when using it with NAP. Lane change, battery life, route planner estimations, blind spot monitoring all have improved dramatically. Emergency braking seems to actually do something in AP2 now and the chance of a battery fire has been greatly reduced. T

Once again, nothing I am talking about has anything to do with Autopilot. I have AP1.. many people on V9 have no AP. So your point is irrelevant.

And I agree! If they wanted to do that, I'm all for it. BUT THEY NEED TO COMMUNICATE AN ACTUAL POLICY. All we get is stark silence. No policy, no white papers explaining why they do what they do. If they could back up with real research and user testing that V9 is an OBJECTIVE improvement, I'd be OK with that. But they operate in an ivory tower and do whatever they (and Elon) wants.
I still disagree. My point isn't about communications at all. You buy an iPhone or a laptop, you can opt out of software updates. Then at a certain point the app store stops working, then a few weeks later the map doesn't load and then finally the phone won't connect to any network because 3G has been phased out. I don't see Apple requiring communication for any of this. Nor do I see them being required to show good cause for releasing a software update. If you don't want software updates, then don't connect to an infrastructure that requires them. Stop supercharging, using LTE and the other courtesy services Tesla provides. The car will still work fine, hell install Ubuntu on the MCU and stream from your Plex server. I don't care Just don't expect *free* services forever without a cost. It's the cost of using their LTE. They collect your data and if up in that ivory tower they feel like their brand will do better if all cars are on V9, then that's the price you pay.