Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we just have to swallow whatever is handed down without complaint in the name of 'progress'. Sorry, not going to happen.
Obviously you can complain. Not sure what that will accomplish. Does it make you feel better?

And just to be clear: the V9 UI sucks; as does the V8 UI. In fact every single reasonably complex UI on every device ever shipped sucked. Some suck a bit less. That's what we software guys strive for.

Last edited:
.....or most people don’t care or actually like it. I like it. I find it visually useful and easy to use. To me, people are bitching about rounded vs squared icons which is the least important part of the updates. Even with growing pains, v9nis way more competent than 8. Don’t like it? I totally get it. Sell your car.

If that’s what you’ve taken away from this discussion, then you’ve obviously missed the point. The significant faults of V9 have been mentioned here and covered in depth in many other threads. It’s most definitely not about rounded or square corners, but actual functionality/UX defects and increased driver distractions. The solution is not “selling my car” but rather Tesla building great software which they are capable of, but have decided not to.

He told me that there is one guy there, the 'Firmware Na^H^HKing' who maintains a spreadsheet of everyone who hasn't updated their firmware, and he, and the entire firmware group really, really, despise people who intentionally refuse the software updates

You could always send them a message via the drawing app :)

I wonder if in Texas this sort of thing would fall under laws prohibiting unauthorized service.

I used to be able to tell by peripheral vision which icon was which just by color (nav=red, audio=blue, energy=orange, trips=black/white, etc), but now they're all a single color and can no longer tell without taking my eyes off the road

That's interesting, I'm of the opposite opinion but I see your point. For me, the shapes are a bit easier to recognize and in the past I would frequently press the browser button instead of the camera button since they were both round.

change is hard. you will get used to it

Tesla trope number... which one was it?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Thanks for posting the link. May be the Tesla UI team should read it too.
More than likely people who wrote it are no longer there (their employee turnover is high - I used to know a few people who worked in engineering there, none of them are there anymore and the longest duration was ~3 years). New guys are probably young web app designers who have no formal UX design experience, and even if they did they'd probably not be given time to do it right anyways.

It's the bad v9 design people are upset about.
It's more than that, IMO. It's the bad UI design, the stripping of features and the shipping of obviously untested software on a biweekly (?) basis. I don't remember ever seeing such poor software project management. Though v9 was certainly the final straw for a lot of people (myself included).

the sooner you realize that Tesla has sold you a cell phone with wheels, the quicker you will understand the landscape you now find yourself as a Tesla owner.
Target lifecycle for a cell phone is to get a new one every 2 years, throw the old one into the landfill. Are you saying that is what Tesla's are, disposable cars with target 2 year lifecycle? Of course you can squeeze an extra couple of years out of an old iPhone, so Tesla is in the same bucket? I thought Elon's mission was sustainable transportation, not disposable transportation.

Target lifecycle for a cell phone is to get a new one every 2 years, throw the old one into the landfill. Are you saying that is what Tesla's are, disposable cars with target 2 year lifecycle? Of course you can squeeze an extra couple of years out of an old iPhone, so Tesla is in the same bucket? I thought Elon's mission was sustainable transportation, not disposable transportation.

That's exactly what i'm saying..

It's hard to swallow.. I now.. but EM wants you to buy a new Tesla every 3 years... and many of his decisions are made with this paradigm in mind.

Rounded corners was a callback to the Apple UI debates, not a Tesla example. Having used many car user interfaces with dizzying arrays of buttons that require inputs in multiple places within the cockpit, 6 deep menu stacks, arbitrary decision trees and useless choices (Audi anyone?), I find this interface clean, easy and logical to navigate and not distracting. Out of 15 fellow Tesla owners in my area (S&Xs), 10 love Version 9 and 5 haven’t really noticed that it changed. And it has continued to improve (A/C controls for example). I don’t use bitching on a forum as a useful metric of actual problems or dissatisfaction. Sometimes the bitching has a point (identifying that a certain capacitor had a 90 percent failure rate on the circuit board for Mitsubishi’s Diamond series rear projection TVs), many times it does not and is self perpetuating. On something Iike this, though, it is entirely subjective and if you hate it you aren’t wrong subjectively. So if it dismays you that much, buy another car with the same or better functionality and a UI that you prefer, Or give up functionality for a "better" UI because that is your key driver. No rancor, just reality. And a car that relies so heavily on software for even the non-smart driving tasks (suspension response, braking, battery charging and cooling and myriad others) is going to need updates. For every idiotic fart mode change that some intern is coding as a project there are a myriad of behind the scenes fixes and improvements. People bitched on forums for 2 years about Directv’s UI change mostly because they had to re-learn ingrained habits in order to use a much superior and function interface. So go get Dish! In any case, no offense intended.

Rounded corners was a callback to the Apple UI debates, not a Tesla example. Having used many car user interfaces with dizzying arrays of buttons that require inputs in multiple places within the cockpit, 6 deep menu stacks, arbitrary decision trees and useless choices (Audi anyone?), I find this interface clean, easy and logical to navigate and not distracting. Out of 15 fellow Tesla owners in my area (S&Xs), 10 love Version 9 and 5 haven’t really noticed that it changed. And it has continued to improve (A/C controls for example). I don’t use bitching on a forum as a useful metric of actual problems or dissatisfaction. Sometimes the bitching has a point (identifying that a certain capacitor had a 90 percent failure rate on the circuit board for Mitsubishi’s Diamond series rear projection TVs), many times it does not and is self perpetuating. On something Iike this, though, it is entirely subjective and if you hate it you aren’t wrong subjectively. So if it dismays you that much, buy another car with the same or better functionality and a UI that you prefer, Or give up functionality for a "better" UI because that is your key driver. No rancor, just reality. And a car that relies so heavily on software for even the non-smart driving tasks (suspension response, braking, battery charging and cooling and myriad others) is going to need updates. For every idiotic fart mode change that some intern is coding as a project there are a myriad of behind the scenes fixes and improvements. People bitched on forums for 2 years about Directv’s UI change mostly because they had to re-learn ingrained habits in order to use a much superior and function interface. So go get Dish! In any case, no offense intended.

More questions for you:

- Did you have the opportunity of using v.6 and v.7 (you have P100D)? If so, what do you think of those UI versions?
- Did you read this article? If so, what's your opinion of the assessment made?

Don’t like it? I totally get it. Sell your car.

I totally agree. Let's not complain about how much of a mess v9 is. Let's all take a loss and sell our cars. Thank you immensely for your post, what a brilliant solution!

Out of 15 fellow Tesla owners in my area (S&Xs), 10 love Version 9 and 5 haven’t really noticed that it changed.

I know 5 dentists, 4 of them really hate v9.

I totally agree. Let's not complain about how much of a mess v9 is. Let's all take a loss and sell our cars. Thank you immensely for your post, what a brilliant solution!

I don't think that is the point of his post...

honestly i'm really shocked about how up in arms people have become about this V9-gate...

really people?

are your lives so privileged that you have to literally bounce off the ceiling over a UI change in your car?

there are children starving in the Sudan.. there are also children starving in America. there are tornados ripping through the midwest and killing people left and right... I could go on and on and on and on...

get over yourselves.

and to be clear... I prefer V8 to V9 in some ways... but I refuse to be that girl crying at the salon over getting her hair cut.

let it go and realize you have amazing lives and be happy. expend your energy where it counts... honestly... save the drama for something really important.

EDIT: the quoting feature on this forum is buggy today.. my earlier post formatted incorrectly too.

Thank you for encouraging me to finally look up and learn the name of that fallacy.

Without moral equivalency fallacies we can’t bitch at people for “1st world problems” or call people “spoiled entitled brats” because of x, y, z :D

Starving people in Africa had nothing to do with me finishing my plate or not but momma sure beat me over the head with that one!!

I know 5 dentists, 4 of them really hate v9.

The one is likely an oral surgeon and the other 4 are pediatric dentists. :D

Those are used to crying. :D

Last edited:
are your lives so privileged that you have to literally bounce off the ceiling over a UI change in your car?

Actually yes, when the changes to the UI are significant safety issues causing increased driver distraction just to figure out the defective UI. I could give two *sugars* about the pure looks of the UI -- it's all about USABILITY -- a point most of you seem to be ignoring. So when I have to look down every time to figure out where I need to click through MULTIPLE taps, then it becomes a serious safety issue. Like I described above, what I used to be able to do with my peripheral vision just by sensing the colors of the icons in the IC, now I can't do that, so I have to take my eyes off the road just to switch apps, whereas before, that was not necessary.

I explored the UI more today, and all this scrolling up and down of the main screen panels when different screens are chosen is immensely distracting.. and inconsistent. And to make it worse, the nav map BEHIND the panels moves up and down in the background, EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE THE MAP! Each app requires a slightly different action to bring up and then to cancel it. Media is different from the camera which is different from charging which is different from energy. It's like they TRIED to make is as confusing and obfuscated as possible without a single thought of the actual IN-CAR USER EXPERIENCE.

You guys are nuts. We are the owners of the car, no one should be able to force it to behave differently than we desire. Force installing an update is ridiculous.

Are there any other details on that battery safety update? That linked article didn’t really say what they did to make the battery safer. I’m curious if there are any unwanted side effects.

You assume you own the car... lol sorry not trying to be mean here but this is one of may things Tesla controls and honestly everything is getting worse in this regard with just about everything.
Samsung basically bricked your Note a few years ago because the battery issue was so big and those that decided to keep it soon found out via a push the note was degraded and degraded until you were beaten into submission.
Bunch of farming companies have made it almost impossible for farmers to repair their own tractor... Keep in mind Tesla controls all hardware "parts" for your car and without a vin number you can't just order something.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't think that is the point of his post...

honestly i'm really shocked about how up in arms people have become about this V9-gate...

really people?

there are children starving in the Sudan.. there are also children starving in America. there are tornados ripping through the midwest and killing people left and right... I could go on and on and on and on...

get over yourselves.

So everyone who posts a passionate criticism should "get over yourselves" and go away? Holy moly, the forum would be almost empty with just the "I love my Tesla so much I poop in the morning." people left here.

IMHO all the posts have value in terms of how people use their computer on wheels and what is important to them AND deciding if it should be important to me. Privileged? uh...ok. Yes, it is a privilege to live in this country (I am in the USA) and enjoy many benefits (not a RIGHT..or entitlement). Starving children in Sudan and America...tornados....Real Housewives in turmoil...climate change destroying the earth......another ice age in only 2 billion years. Yes, so much to worry about instead of the car. I am headed out to protest right now! I just want my Tesla to get me there in style.