Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't let Tesla update any cars anymore, except the Model 3s... which I just haven't taken the time to bother with as of yet.

My primary S is still running 8.0 BETA... yeah, that's build date: Tue Sep 13 19:01:51 PDT 2016

As far as I'm concerned, there has been no net improvement since that point from a user perspective to pre-AP2 vehicles.
For pre-AP vehicles, there have been no improvements since 6.0, and they've broken a LOT of stuff. They had to update me to 8.0 when the screen started infinite reboots, and I have a standing warranty claim for restoring the functionality they broke at that time.

Tesla continues to refuse to honor their warranty.

I think eventually, especially with pre-AP2 cars, we're going to need to just start an OSS project to replace the Tesla UI.
Probably.

In the meantime, I am dead serious about suing them, if enough of us want to get together and do it.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Oh, you mean like nearly everyone with an AP1 car? Where they advertised "hands free onramp to offramp" highway driving? lol
No argument there, along with other things like "will find you anywhere on private property", "will meet you at the curb", "will produce 691hp", etc. :)

Every example you've given is something that the owner would have consented to, is aware of, etc in advance. Forcing updates without the owner knowing is still not remotely equatable to anything you note above.
I think you found the problem. They just need to make sure the buyer of the car understands they are buying a connected device which self-updates whenever Tesla decides to, like when you use a service such as gmail, hotmail, google search, facebook, etc. The scheduling is just a convenience "time shifting" feature, rather than the ability to decline. Such transparency would help clarify this for people. Would that detract people from buying? Probably not - plenty of people use google or facebook every day. Personally I would not want that, but honestly I say that now, after experiencing Tesla for 6 years, very likely I would have had no problem with that at first.

Tesla can't just change the warranty terms whenever they feel like it though. That term was not in the warrany when I purchased my vehicle:

Voided Warranty
You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining
detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle
Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or
maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to
each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow
the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle
provided in your Model S owner documentation, including, but not limited to:
• Complying with any recall advisories;
• Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits; and
• Making all repairs.

I noticed that the newest owner's manual also includes similar verbiage about the requirement to install software updates to keep warranty coverage. The owner's manual that I received when I purchased my car had no such language. Again, Tesla can't just change things like that willy-nilly.

Yep. We're the class who gets to sue 'em.

Since it happened to two TMC veterans (@FlatSix911 and me) the same week, I do think this is a new policy being enforced. Or they're singling us out. Or both. It will be interesting if/when more people start reporting this.

I had an interesting talk with the local Tesla service manager this afternoon. After I told him that I checked the logs, he admitted that the firmware update to V9 had been staged during my last service and was forced at home that evening at 2:30 am PST without customer consent or approval.

I was originally told that they had no idea how the forced update occurred after I specifically alerted service that I did not want to update from V8... I even left a large post-it note on the display screen and on my work order. What really bothers me is that Tesla takes no responsibility and lied about the incident. I will be contacting exec leadership regarding this issue as my MCU screen is basically unusable now using the Navigation, Slacker or Waze apps. This is not the end of this issue with Tesla and the problem will get worse with future releases.

Last edited:
Please go to the shareholder meeting and raise these questions. I just can't this year.

I am sure this will not turn around until either (a) Tesla gets sued, (b) Tesla gets embarrassed about this in the media, or (c) Musk hears about it personally from people who own a lot of shares. I'd love to do any of them, but I am very busy with medical issues.

Seriously, I would love to get in on a class action lawsuit with you. I am that kind of person, and it would definitely work. We'd win. Really no question. Most likely, Tesla would actually sit down and fix the problems, once the federal lawsuit got their attention; if they didn't, well, I would happily take the monetary compensation for the damage they did to my car and their warranty violations, since I deserve it.

I've just been far too busy to be the lead plaintiff. I'd provide as much support and documentation as I could, though. If someone else starts such a lawsuit, I want in on it and I will help. Disclosure: very long TSLA. But they need to be woken up about this crap.

I will be at the shareholder meeting and plan to address the issue... let me know about the class action.

Already used up my 3 questions, but if anyone wants to add this topic and similar topics to the Say list, I'll upvote it.

Say

Not exhaustive by any means, but most interesting (to me at least) are...

MCU failures
MCU1->MCU2 upgrade
HW2.0 vs HW2.5+ cars missing features
FSD computer retrofits
Yellowing 17" screens
Forced software updates
Early Access Program promise
Undelivered AP1 and P85D promises
90kWh pack degradation
P3D+ spoiler fitment
Model X acceleration shudder
Loaner vehicle availability

While not strictly financial questions, these are all possible liabilities to the company.

I will be contacting exec leadership regarding this issue as my MCU screen is basically unusable now using the Navigation,

Yes. I did a 400 mile drive this week for the first time on V9. The Nav is essentially USELESS, BROKEN, and FRUSTRATING. I paid $500 to upgrade to LTE and before V9, the map tiles would load very fast. Not a single complaint.

With V9, I get into this extremely frustrating loop where I have Nav going with my destination -- I 'zoom' very close to the destination pin to review the road names and necessary turns well before I get there (like finding a parking garage). FIRST problem: I zoom in, and the map tiles NEVER load. Just a blank nav screen. So I wait, wait, wait, wait for the tiles to load, and then SECOND PROBLEM: OUT OF NOWHERE, the nav map resets itself to the car's current position.

I WAS NEVER ABLE TO VIEW THE ROADS AND TURNS AT THE DESTINATION, even when it popped up and said "auto tracking off".. it never actually TURNED OFF.

I don't know how they farked up the Nav so much with V9, but it's USELESS to me now.

Will join class action lawsuit. A major function of my car has been broken in a significant way now. All the other V9 UI crap I resolved myself to just "get used to".. but I did not sign up to have my car broken with forced software updates. How this crap gets through testing is baffling. Or they just don't test their software, which is much more likely.

I used to do this to ..but the mcu1 age definitely shows with the new nav ..on 20.1 that just came out the browser now works slightly faster but the zoom is still slow :(
It’s the Apple nightmare all over again. It’s one thing to software degrade an $800 device, but an $80,000 car. Totally unacceptable. How do we start this class action lawsuit?

SECOND PROBLEM: OUT OF NOWHERE, the nav map resets itself to the car's current position.

But on the bright side it makes the NAV all pretty looking on a developer's simulator? haha, yes!!

I like how they took all the user feedback from v8 where they broke placement of windows just to keep the NAV on-top and used it to improve v9.

It’s the Apple nightmare all over again.

Apple never did anything remotely like this. The comparison itself brings on the notion that it's just a bunch of old farts complaining about changes. The iOS UI is very useable, and mostly doesn't do anything stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Apple never did anything remotely like this. The comparison itself brings on the notion that it's just a bunch of old farts complaining about changes. The iOS UI is very useable, and mostly doesn't do anything stupid.
Nothing remotely like this? Seems like a direct parallel from my experiences. It has nothing to do with the changes Apple makes. It’s the obsolescence they cause by making the device extremely slow or even totally unusable. You apparently don’t have any older iPhones or iPads, or you don’t mind buying a new device every couple of years.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Nothing remotely like this? Seems like a direct parallel from my experiences. It has nothing to do with the changes Apple makes. It’s the obsolescence they cause by making the device extremely slow or even totally unusable. You apparently don’t have any older iPhones or iPads, or you don’t mind buying a new device every couple of years.
My iPhone is currently nearing 3 years old. Works fine. Works faster than when I bought it thanks to iOS 12. The slowdown issues are mostly imaginary, some real due to 3rd parties, i.e. the downloadable apps grow in size at a staggering rate. App developers seem to throw the kitchen sink at their apps. If you use these, the phone will seem slower over time.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
They sure did...

Apple is facing lawsuits over iPhone slowdown controversy

They intentionally slowed down old phones to get people to upgrade to the new phones.

No, they stopped the phones from shutting down randomly because the current draw from the processor was more than the degraded battery could support without the voltage collapsing. After the controversy they let you shut off this feature, which just makes your phone shut down at random until you get a new battery. Win?

This article clearly states that older iPhones were intentionally slowed down to smooth out the current draw.

Apple: Yes, we're slowing down older iPhones

But that's just what they claim, conveniently.

And it definitely was not any of these:

The slowdown issues are mostly imaginary, some real due to 3rd parties, i.e. the downloadable apps grow in size at a staggering rate. App develops seem to throw the kitchen sink at their apps. If you use these, the phone will seem slower over time.

And its not just the phones. My daughter is saying she needs to replace her four year old laptop already because it’s so excruciatingly slow. Yes she’s taken it to the “Genius Bar”.

Yup. In the same article:

Apple (AAPL) said in its statement that it will continue to use the feature with other products in the future.