Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.8 - 10.5.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the 80 limit was not generated by Teslavision but an arbitrary decision by the programmers to lower the limit. I don't know their logic in that decision. But it seems to me the decision should allow for highways that allow 85mph. If it is true that Teslavision is incapable of operating AP at 85mph but just fine at 80mph and was not a decision by the programmers than I can see the 80+ number is what just causes it to fail.

I can guess that a logical explanation is that the current HW3.0 is just too slow to handle the data input at 85mph to properly control and steer the car while 80mph still works fine. It that is so and is temporary, then maybe we need new hardware(HW4.0) to handle the I-15 85mph speed limit.

Ahhh... Thank you. :)
There's also a quick way to see what is currently being used by the vehicle... NOA or FSD...

If you see enhanced visualizations, the car is using FSD. If you see the old style visualizations, the car is using NOA.

The switchover most often happens on off/on ramps, although there is an area of freeway in my area that used to be NOA that is now using FSD for some reason.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jpfive and cobra
I was thinking the 80 limit was not generated by Teslavision but an arbitrary decision by the programmers to lower the limit. I don't know their logic in that decision. But it seems to me the decision should allow for highways that allow 85mph. If it is true that Teslavision is incapable of operating AP at 85mph but just fine at 80mph and was not a decision by the programmers than I can see the 80+ number is what just causes it to fail.

I can guess that a logical explanation is that the current HW3.0 is just too slow to handle the data input at 85mph to properly control and steer the car while 80mph still works fine. It that is so and is temporary, then maybe we need new hardware(HW4.0) to handle the I-15 85mph speed limit.
"I don't know their logic in that decision" yet you then make statements without any factual basis and without sources and then jump to the conclusion new hardware is needed to increase the speed supported to 85 mph. A little research next time might be helpful.

Reactions: GWord

I can't remember now where I read it, but someone explained that the 80mph restriction is more likely due to braking capabilities and distances. If vision is not yet confident enough to recognize a situation from far away, that means reaction time of the car will be slower, and the faster you're going, the less time the car has to react. Dropping from 90 to 80 will allow the car more time to react. It is a safety precaution that is based on the current capability of the vision system, not some arbitrary guess by the programmers.

Tesla as a company is extremely data-driven. It's illogical to assume that such a decision would be made arbitrarily. HW3 being the reason for the reduced speed is pure speculation and not logical at all. Highway is still running on the old stack, which is not even taking advantage of the HW3 SoCs. The speed reduction is tied to vision-only, not FSD beta.

I can't remember now where I read it, but someone explained that the 80mph restriction is more likely due to braking capabilities and distances. If vision is not yet confident enough to recognize a situation from far away, that means reaction time of the car will be slower, and the faster you're going, the less time the car has to react. Dropping from 90 to 80 will allow the car more time to react. It is a safety precaution that is based on the current capability of the vision system, not some arbitrary guess by the programmers.

Tesla as a company is extremely data-driven. It's illogical to assume that such a decision would be made arbitrarily. HW3 being the reason for the reduced speed is pure speculation and not logical at all. Highway is still running on the old stack, which is not even taking advantage of the HW3 SoCs. The speed reduction is tied to vision-only, not FSD beta.
I get all that. You and another didn't understand what I meant by "arbitrary." I meant that it wasn't based on some computer saying, " I can't do that Dave." but rather they realized that 90mph was to risky and had to lower it to 80. I would not disagree with Elon that they don't need Radar as it was causing confusion in the sensor response. I recognize some on the forums didn't approve of Radar removal, but that is a done deal. It's been removed. The data told them it was a problem and the data said vision alone gave better control. Beta testers majority agree., things are getting better with vision only. Regardless of what those opinions are, I posed a simple question about the 85mph speed limit that I saw in Utah and wondered why 80 and not 85 was the limit. Is 5mph such a big difference according to your unknown poster?

I won't belabor the discussion further because I'm sure nobody here is on the Tesla development team.

In his defense, you can’t pass a truck that’s going 75mph doing 79mph, unless your on-ramp is as long as the runway in the fast and furious movie.
Probably so, but my practice is, if a truck or any vehicle is doing the speed limit of 75mph, I don't feel the need to pass him. Safer all the way around for me to just drop in behind the one doing the speed limit.

I have not kept up with the forum since 10.5, but I'm sure everyone else is having the same issues. I've had FSD since the first batch at 10.1 with a 100 score.

This is the worst version for driving. I think it has some improvements for how it handles situations like changing lanes, it appears to me to be more aggressive (correctly) at left on green(no arrow) and right on red.

But, damn, I can't drive any road around here, speed limit 40 or 60, or even 65 on a highway without the car doing a hard slowdown for a second then accelerating. It is crazy how bad it is and consistent at it. This had not happened until 10.5, so hopefully they can fix this as it makes it really not worth using.

sorry, I don't think I wrote it out clearly. It is not tied to accelerating, car will be driving 44 mph down a road, then suddenly do a quick brake for no reason at all, but only down to about 38 mph, then go back up.

This is bad enough, but it is consistent and happens at least every mile or so. It was to the point yesterday where I had my family in the car and I just could not use FSD even on a long straightaway where I really don't need FSD, just basic lane assist. But nope, I can't use anything because of the braking issue.

Reactions: TravelFree
sorry, I don't think I wrote it out clearly. It is not tied to accelerating, car will be driving 44 mph down a road, then suddenly do a quick brake for no reason at all, but only down to about 38 mph, then go back up.

This is bad enough, but it is consistent and happens at least every mile or so. It was to the point yesterday where I had my family in the car and I just could not use FSD even on a long straightaway where I really don't need FSD, just basic lane assist. But nope, I can't use anything because of the braking issue.
Small slowdowns happen often and phantom braking too. Frequency depends on road conditions / shadows / traffic etc.