Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-2170 cells from Panasonic don’t cure for 2 weeks or 30 days. If so, today’s manufacturing capability would be linked to production that happened weeks ago...A large room just holding cells in a cure state would be a huge waste of space and inventory. Engineering has advanced.
I thought I'd heard the two week aging in a Tesla factory tour video.

In terms of specs, Panasonic tests every cell prior to ‘shipping’ to Tesla. Once Tesla received the cell shipment, they are tested again. Anything Tesla kicks out is diverted back to Panasonic for lot diagnosis. More often than not, these are for low SOC. Provided it meets several quality and safety checks, it’s bumped with a charge, and used.

Huh. Almost sounds like Panasonic is a separate company running a separate business within the gigafactory.

• Funny
Reactions: tander and MP3Mike
FWIW I’ve had a Panasonic PT-AE900U home theater projector since 2006 - and it’s been outstanding. It’s getting a bit long in the tooth but I specifically would consider a Panasonic again.
Yeah, their projectors are pretty good.... I suspect a different group than their other displays. They make great electric shavers too.

Wouldn't want their speakers though... or apparently their alkaline batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
Funny how people watch a YouTube video and immediately their mind is made up...

-2170 cells from Panasonic don’t cure for 2 weeks or 30 days. If so, today’s manufacturing capability would be linked to production that happened weeks ago...A large room just holding cells in a cure state would be a huge waste of space and inventory. Engineering has advanced.
-2170 Panasonic cells for M3 production have a different chemistry makeup than those used for storage.
-2170 cells from Samsung/LG Chem are spec’d to Tesla criteria. They’re not consumer grade. Look no further than the South Australian project.
-All S/X batteries are 18650 made overseas.
-Every cell that is used in a Tesla product is tested prior to being introduced into manufacturing. Once modules are assembled, removing a cell is not an option.

Your sarcasm is not appreciated. When I did the gigafactory tour a few months before it opened to cell production they had a giant room that was going to be used for cell formation. It was at least 30’ high and jam packed with storage racks to hold cells. At that time, they had a 30 day formation period. You’re saying that engineering has progressed to the point where they don’t need that giant room anymore? Cells go from the manufacturing line, skip formation, get tested and they’re done?

Funny how people watch a YouTube video and immediately their mind is made up...

I've been in that large, nay huge, room.

Reactions: JRP3
I've been in that large, nay huge, room.

Yes, and here, I found a picture of that room. Or part of it. Pic taken just over 2 years ago.

A2DA3A20-066E-40D7-9B40-4F4F591F48A5.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Your sarcasm is not appreciated. When I did the gigafactory tour a few months before it opened to cell production they had a giant room that was going to be used for cell formation. It was at least 30’ high and jam packed with storage racks to hold cells. At that time, they had a 30 day formation period. You’re saying that engineering has progressed to the point where they don’t need that giant room anymore? Cells go from the manufacturing line, skip formation, get tested and they’re done?

Pardon my sarcasm...but you were there over 2 years ago...things change fast at Tesla. I've left work on a Wednesday, and returned on the following Sunday and entire production lines have been relocated between floors. I walk approx 8-11 miles every day in GF1...I get to see a fair amount of it regularly.

The obviously would not want to store batteries if they didn't need to. So the question is "what changed?". Perhaps battery construction, or re-evaluation of risks associated with not aging batteries, or simply eliminating a production buffer after the model 3 ramped and they added more battery making machines.

Since there are very few reported model 3 battery problems reducing battery inventory seems to have worked. They perhaps were just being conservative until they have data on many millions of cells.

Thanks for info @GigaGrunt. Yes, very interesting that they’ve progressed an integral part of cell manufacturing to eliminate a time consuming and costly step. Battery cell technology is a very closely guarded trade secret so I doubt we will get more information. Interesting that one of the things we were allowed to see on tours is something they don’t use anymore!

Seems very likely that some of the new cars in the pipeline will be built at the gigafactory.

Incidentally, I think Elon is realizing that his “machine to build the machine” concept of having a factory blueprint and then copying it is BS. They innovate so fast in all aspects of the company, that nothing is static.

Incidentally, I think Elon is realizing that his “machine to build the machine” concept of having a factory blueprint and then copying it is BS. They innovate so fast in all aspects of the company, that nothing is static.

Not static, but the IP in the MTBTM is where a lot of value is, and they can copy the nth (or n+1th) iteration for the next GF. He has said on the Alien Dreadnought scale they are sub 1.0

As stated before, M3 cells are shipped to Tesla with 30% or less charge. Then they go thru manufacturing process to be combined into essentially a battery pack. That ships to Fremont, then installed into a car. In essence, there is a ‘cure time’ between cell manufactured and initial charge. It just happens during manufacturing....and isn’t 2 weeks or 30 days.

Much like any other manufacturing, testing can be done at various states to indicate a potential failure. Once a module is assembled, there is no turning back. So we need to know just before that point whether it’s good or not. And when you process over 3 million cells a day, you have a lot of data...

That's what I thought of first - ageing the cells "in flight". Learning more about the optimal tradeoffs in ambient conditions plus data-logging and maybe some active temperature control certainly helps. I'm intensely curious, but think this one's better left alone in everyone's interest.

Reactions: Cosmacelf