Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gives $3,750 discount for Model 3/Y in the US this month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you will receive the credit after paying in full ?
And if so, you would have also paid sales tax on the refund.
I'm just trying to fully understand how this works.

Since Tesla is selling direct, it should be handled as a price reduction, not like a manufacturer rebate. That's best for the customer and shouldn't really cost Tesla any more.

The point is that they won't apply it to current open orders because delivery could be delayed until 2023, when the tax credit would be available. So they'll apply it shortly before delivery.

Taking delivery of my car this weekend and this is what my price details state.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-01-at-12-32-04-PM.png

It's labeled as referral credit, but it's not a tax credit or rebate - it's a discount.
Oops, here's the full screenshot

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 12.32.04 PM.png

Also contact my SA, and it confirm that I will be eligible for the credit. My delivery date is set for 12/07. SA also said that they not sure when it will reflect in the account since it a new info to them. Let pray the credit happen before delivery date.

Since Tesla is selling direct, it should be handled as a price reduction, not like a manufacturer rebate. That's best for the customer and shouldn't really cost Tesla any more.

The point is that they won't apply it to current open orders because delivery could be delayed until 2023, when the tax credit would be available. So they'll apply it shortly before delivery.
Here is my issue! My Model Y is scheduled between December 5th and December 31th. My Sales Associate checked for me today and I’m scheduled for December 30th. If they are 2 days late I won’t qualify for the $3,750.00 discount. I already used my $7,500.00 Tax discount on my Chevrolet Volt and I make too much to qualify for any government tax rebate. I hope my car comes in December and I will still get the Tesla discount

MariaC - perhaps you can find one already in inventory and cancel this order.
I have found a number of MY in my area ready to buy immediately.
Maybe you'll get lucky and insure yourself you get the discount.
By doing this of course, you will lose your $250 order fee, but more than made up by the discount.

Here is my issue! My Model Y is scheduled between December 5th and December 31th. My Sales Associate checked for me today and I’m scheduled for December 30th. If they are 2 days late I won’t qualify for the $3,750.00 discount. I already used my $7,500.00 Tax discount on my Chevrolet Volt and I make too much to qualify for any government tax rebate. I hope my car comes in December and I will still get the Tesla discount
You aren't scheduled for Dec 30th if you don't yet have a VIN.

1. You will get a text saying to expect your car in the next few weeks.
2. You will get a text asking about trade-in financing. This one is going to come typically a week or less before you will get a VIN
3. You will get a VIN assigned.
4. You will schedule delivery. This will typically be within 1-2 weeks of having the VIN assigned.
5. There will still be order cancellations even with this $3750 credit since some would rather wait and get the full tax credit next year, even though they won't see it immediately, so your odds are still good of getting a Dec delivery.

It is rather odd that you say you make too much for the tax credit next year (I also do) but you're freaking out about getting a credit that 12 hours ago you knew you weren't getting.

Consider it a happy accident if in fact you do get it. For me, I'm pleased because all of the paid for upgrades (white interior, tow hitch, induction wheels) will be completely covered by this with some cash left over towards PPF or acceleration boost.

Our rep reached out today to tell us about the credit. We placed an order at 10:51 am and an hour later, we were notified that we had a VIN assignment. The rep later told us that an Austin MYLR had come in with our specs (basically standard everything in red) at 10:52 am, and we were the only order for that particular buildout.

Reactions: zoomer0056