Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gives $3,750 discount for Model 3/Y in the US this month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.56.52 PM.png

So do people think this is a tell that Tesla will only qualify for half the credit? Many assumed they would only qualify for half anyways.

Regardless, this makes sense for them to do as otherwise their Q4 #s would have been $#!T.

I feel for those that took delivery over the past couple days.

AND all those folks that said Tesla wouldn't lower prices were right. They are offering an incentive instead 😎

The writing must have been on the wall that Q4 was going in a very bad direction. Has Tesla ever offered incentives? I guess that is why they are calling it a "referral credit". Sure seems like an incentive to take delivery in December.

AND all those folks that said Tesla wouldn't lower prices were right. They are offering an incentive instead 😎

The writing must have been on the wall that Q4 was going in a very bad direction. Has Tesla ever offered incentives? I guess that is why they are calling it a "referral credit". Sure seems like an incentive to take delivery in December.
Tesla has raised and lowered prices on their products numerous times in the past as well as running an expensive referral program up until a few years ago.

Reactions: SO16
The writing must have been on the wall that Q4 was going in a very bad direction.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Look at the forums here: for months people have desperately been doing ANYTHING they could think of to delay their orders to 2023. People have been changing their configurations daily, requesting holds, rejecting VINs. Some might even consider letting the car get all the way to a delivery center, THEN reject the VIN for an imaginary issue, just to buy themselves a few extra days to maybe reach 2023.

All of that wreaks havok on Tesla’s logistics. Giving everyone a $3,750 price cut might have just been the cheaper option.

Reactions: SO16
You aren't scheduled for Dec 30th if you don't yet have a VIN.

1. You will get a text saying to expect your car in the next few weeks.
2. You will get a text asking about trade-in financing. This one is going to come typically a week or less before you will get a VIN
3. You will get a VIN assigned.
4. You will schedule delivery. This will typically be within 1-2 weeks of having the VIN assigned.
5. There will still be order cancellations even with this $3750 credit since some would rather wait and get the full tax credit next year, even though they won't see it immediately, so your odds are still good of getting a Dec delivery.

It is rather odd that you say you make too much for the tax credit next year (I also do) but you're freaking out about getting a credit that 12 hours ago you knew you weren't getting.

Consider it a happy accident if in fact you do get it. For me, I'm pleased because all of the paid for upgrades (white interior, tow hitch, induction wheels) will be completely covered by this with some cash left over towards PPF or acceleration boost.
I'm far from freaking out! I already have one Model Y and am very familiar with the Vin procedure. When I went to the Cherry Hill dealership I was surprised when the young lady looked up my RN# and gave me a scheduled date. I was under the impression that the new 2023 law on the tax rebate excluded some people based in income.

Last edited:

2. You will get a text asking about trade-in financing. This one is going to come typically a week or less before you will get a VIN
4. You will schedule delivery. This will typically be within 1-2 weeks of having the VIN assigned.
5. There will still be order cancellations even with this $3750 credit since some would rather wait and get the full tax credit next year, even though they won't see it immediately, so your odds are still good of getting a Dec delivery.

It is rather odd that you say you make too much for the tax credit next year (I also do) but you're freaking out about getting a credit that 12 hours ago you knew you weren't getting.

Consider it a happy accident if in fact you do get it. For me, I'm pleased because all of the paid for upgrades (white interior, tow hitch, induction wheels) will be completely covered by this with some cash left over towards PPF or acceleration boost.

Here is my issue! My Model Y is scheduled between December 5th and December 31th. My Sales Associate checked for me today and I’m scheduled for December 30th. If they are 2 days late I won’t qualify for the $3,750.00 discount. I already used my $7,500.00 Tax discount on my Chevrolet Volt and I make too much to qualify for any government tax rebate. I hope my car comes in December and I will still get the Tesla discount

EV Tax Credit Income Limit​

Although the EV tax credit will effectively be expanded, the Inflation Reduction Act also imposes income limits on who can claim the credit.

If you’re single, and your modified adjusted gross income is over $150,000, you won’t qualify for the EV tax credit. The EV tax credit income limit for married couples who are filing jointly is $300,000. And if you file as head of household and make $225,000 or more, you also won’t be able to claim the credit.

Last edited by a moderator:

EV Tax Credit Income Limit​

Although the EV tax credit will effectively be expanded, the Inflation Reduction Act also imposes income limits on who can claim the credit.

If you’re single, and your modified adjusted gross income is over $150,000, you won’t qualify for the EV tax credit. The EV tax credit income limit for married couples who are filing jointly is $300,000. And if you file as head of household and make $225,000 or more, you also won’t be able to claim the credit.
I have no idea what you’re on about or why you’re quoting me with this response. YOU said you wouldn’t qualify for the tax credit in 2022. I won’t qualify for it either and view the $3750 as a happy accident. We didn’t even know this existed until a few hours ago.

I just picked up mine yesterday afternoon... Sad. Called up the service center and they said no. If only I had delayed it a day due to the weather.
Just enjoy your Tesla you got one. No one knew this was going to happen however I did think they would give some sort of incentive. I called my insurance company and it doubled in premium from my Lexus that I have. Unfortunately, I will be waiting as the insurance is too high for Tesla for me.