Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla got the worst score in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree people are always more likely to complain and never praise. I don't like being one of those people and try to let people know when I was happy with service as well. Dealership, restaurant, painter, doesn't matter. If someone does a good job you should recognize them, it's truly free to lift someone's spirits and make them feel good about themselves. They'll also always try to help you as a customer. I'm not saying be foolishly optimistic but just be fair. You did a good job--you should hear about it.

And there are some on here that will LITERALLY complain for YEARS on MULTIPLE threads saying how much they despise Tesla and their cars.

Reactions: Joshan
And there are some on here that will LITERALLY complain for YEARS on MULTIPLE threads saying how much they despise Tesla and their cars.
Then they should sell them. I'm not being a jack a$$ but if I were so unhappy with a product I'd get rid of it the first possible opportunity. I realize a car isn't like a cellphone but at some point you can get yourself out from under it.

• Love
Reactions: Joshan
Further, this (or any forum on any topic) is not the place to gauge the average customer experience; good or bad. By nature, the majority of people who actively post in a forum are acutely more aware of the finer details and will be more vocal.

By reading these forums, you would think the whole world is upset about (for example) the fitment of a Tesla. Even if it is a problem, 95% of Tesla owners really don't care.

Reactions: Zer0t
Then they should sell them. I'm not being a jack a$$ but if I were so unhappy with a product I'd get rid of it the first possible opportunity. I realize a car isn't like a cellphone but at some point you can get yourself out from under it.

They claim that they lost too much and don’t want to sell at such a loss. (Even though they say they have purchased “several” new Tesla’s in the past.). But now all of a sudden they are worried about losses. And they also claim that since they were pro tesla for many years and recommended many sales, they want to “undo“ what they have done and “warn” new purchasers. Seems pretty twisted to me.

J.D. Powers tried to shake down Tesla for their owner records and their research on some fires years past. This group stuck it to Tesla in a hatchet job that reputable auto people have called out..especially Scottie Kilmer on You Tube who has one billion followers and a mechanic with over 50 years experience. He does not care for Tesla or any electric car but you might find his opinion of J.D. Powers interesting. This outfit rated DODGE as number one and that told me everything. Toyota was somewhere down the list and that in itself is interesting as other auto groups rate Toyota number one. If you look at the list of all the cars (over 200), you can't help but think this outfit need to go back to passing out all those phony awards to groups who pay them for their surveys.

In other news, when Tesla was ranked versus other personal computers, and they ranked Tesla a 10 out of 10. :)

As someone who took delivery of a M3P with multiple issues, mostly paint and being told they would take care of something but then when I was ready to have them fix the paint issues where the Spoiler goes once it came in, they then told me I waited too long and then wouldn't do what they promised. When it was them who took so long to deliver the spoiler.

I am just glad I have made enough money off the Tesla stock to go out and buy the quality paint job I should have had on the car in the first place.:confused: It's funny when I saw a thread about the board voting towards Tesla advertising or something. They have a lot of Customer Service issues to take care of before they take on more volume, that's no joke.

To my first point, like the rest of us, I love everything about the computer in my garage.

I think it's exactly accurate , delivery issues are the main problem with Tesla's and it's reflected in the score. My only issues were delivery items which I had fixed. Door alignment, new Tesla logo (not adhered fully), rubber seal around door adjusted. I let go of a few paint issues as it was not worth it for me to get it fixed as they weren't very major. That would add up to 5 issues which is twice as high as the 250. Have not called for anything else yet but in day to day usage over 1.5 years it has been trouble free after delivery. Except maybe I should call about that range loss soon.... Another item. Very easy to see 250, I thought it would be higher .
Even in its worst times did GM vehicles look as bad as the one guy just posted. Point is look where it got GM. All I can see is Tesla going belly up unless they improve the quality.

In conclusion, we ought to stop thinking the JD Power IQS ha anything to do with panel gaps etc. It doesn't.
Sorry, but that's just not true, and you are making it up. It's VERY CLEAR the bulk of the complaints by us Tesla owners were related to factory build quality.

In general, luxury brands struggled in the 2020 study in part due to problems with their infotainment systems. However in Tesla's case, though, complaints were focused on paint defects, poor fit of body panels, trunks and hoods that were hard to open and close, too much wind noise in the interior, and squeaks and rattles, according to J.D. Power's automotive President Doug Betts.

The issues were "primarily a result of factory quality," Betts said in an emailed statement.

Dave Sargent, vice president of automotive quality at J.D. Power, added that "it's important to note that the primary reason for Tesla’s score is not the EV-related aspects of the vehicle – they perform well here."

Unless you have been living under a rock, that should surprise no one on this forum.

I appreciated jbcarioca's post, thanks!

For me, most of my complaints on my 2020 Model S have been software ... and of those, the vast majority are for the incredibly poor infotainment system (ranging from obvious bugs to obvious design flaws). Overall, a new CTO is needed. Elon, give me a call :)

I've had one non-software problem: the plastic panel behind the right inside door handle has popped off twice (it's currently sitting in a cup holder). Oh, yes, there are the obvious shortcomings in interior design, but I'm not sure if JDP's survey would have covered those.

Even in its worst times did GM vehicles look as bad as the one guy just posted. Point is look where it got GM. All I can see is Tesla going belly up unless they improve the quality.

They are on a meteoric rise , the likes of which I do not think any car manufacturer has ever seen in history, and you are calling for them to go out of businesses? /boggle

Bah humbug to the JD Power IQS.

After today’s qtr 2 results here is a Fortune headline.

“Tesla second-quarter deliveries trounce Wall Street expectations—and its bigger rivals”

it’s now the largest automaker based on value.

it is larger than most S & P 500 companies (17th).

it’s inevitably on it’s way to being listed in the S & P 500 very shortly.

The stock is now over $1200/share.

I’ve read that Tesla owners are the most satisfied with their vehicles than other mfg.

• Love
Reactions: SageBrush and SO16
Bah humbug to the JD Power IQS.

After today’s qtr 2 results here is a Fortune headline.

“Tesla second-quarter deliveries trounce Wall Street expectations—and its bigger rivals”

it’s now the largest automaker based on value.

it is larger than most S & P 500 companies (17th).

it’s inevitably on it’s way to being listed in the S & P 500 very shortly.

The stock is now over $1200/share.

I’ve read that Tesla owners are the most satisfied with their vehicles than other mfg.

I was directly impacted. I was matched with 3 different inventory model 3’s and didn’t get to actually any of them. The entire observable available 3 inventory near me was gone on quarter end. Right now I have an inventory Model Y perf inventory car that I’ll pick tomorrow I think.

In other news, when Tesla was ranked versus other personal computers, and they ranked Tesla a 10 out of 10. :)

As someone who took delivery of a M3P with multiple issues, mostly paint and being told they would take care of something but then when I was ready to have them fix the paint issues where the Spoiler goes once it came in, they then told me I waited too long and then wouldn't do what they promised. When it was them who took so long to deliver the spoiler.

I am just glad I have made enough money off the Tesla stock to go out and buy the quality paint job I should have had on the car in the first place.:confused: It's funny when I saw a thread about the board voting towards Tesla advertising or something. They have a lot of Customer Service issues to take care of before they take on more volume, that's no joke.

To my first point, like the rest of us, I love everything about the computer in my garage.

I have no issue with a reputable car outfit giving an evaluation. But J.D. Powers knows about as much on cars as I do on evaluating an airplane. I know a lot of Tesla owners have posted their problems with delivery issues and I certainly believe they have a right to state their problems and expect correction or replacement. I remember when Consumer reports put Tesla in the unreliable column because of paint issues. But where does J.D. Powers get off ranking Tesla 210 (maybe was lower), next to the very bottom based on their 'telephone surveys in 35 states? They even put Toyota midway...figure that one out. Again, what were the questions and who did they talk with? They won't release their records, but they sure went after Tesla when they could not get Tesla's records. Since then, J.D. Powers has been taking a lot of heat from some very noted car experts...especially on some of the cars they rated high, that have horrific mechanical and reliability issues. I was glad to see Scottie Kilmer on You Tube go after J.D. Powers. Scottie is no fan of Tesla or electric cars for that matter. But he does have the billion followers and the credentials to render an opinion, not only on a manufacturer of cars, but a critic as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I have no issue with a reputable car outfit giving an evaluation. But J.D. Powers knows about as much on cars as I do on evaluating an airplane. I know a lot of Tesla owners have posted their problems with delivery issues and I certainly believe they have a right to state their problems and expect correction or replacement. I remember when Consumer reports put Tesla in the unreliable column because of paint issues. But where does J.D. Powers get off ranking Tesla 210 (maybe was lower), next to the very bottom based on their 'telephone surveys in 35 states? They even put Toyota midway...figure that one out. Again, what were the questions and who did they talk with? They won't release their records, but they sure went after Tesla when they could not get Tesla's records. Since then, J.D. Powers has been taking a lot of heat from some very noted car experts...especially on some of the cars they rated high, that have horrific mechanical and reliability issues. I was glad to see Scottie Kilmer on You Tube go after J.D. Powers. Scottie is no fan of Tesla or electric cars for that matter. But he does have the billion followers and the credentials to render an opinion, not only on a manufacturer of cars, but a critic as well.
I find it hilarious whenever JD Power publishes the results of one of their surveys, inevitably some owners of the brands who received the lowest scores from their owners start claiming JD Power doesn't know what they are talking about, the survey results can't possibly be real, some of the brands paid JD Power bribes to rank them higher, etc. etc. etc. Never fails.

JD Power is not even a "car oufit" as you claim. They are a market research firm. The results of their survey are based on responses from owners just like you and me. JD Power is not evaluating the cars. They merely tabulate what us owners have to say. And you better believe most of the the manufacturers are paying JD Power handsomely for the survey details on their cars as well as their competitors.

If you want to claim Tesla owners are lying and are fabricating complaints, guess that's not impossible. But ask yourself why would we be tending to do that any more than any other brand owners.

And please stop spreading misinformation:

-CR never rated Tesla unreliable because of paint issues.

-It's absolutely untrue JD Power "has been taking heat" from noted car experts. You are wildly mischaracterizing the comments.

Sure, buying a Dodge is no guarantee of having a troublefree car. But no one, including JD Power, ever made that claim. But one thing you can say for sure, after 90 days of ownership Tesla owners have a lot more complaints versus Dodge owners, and that's not good PR for Elon in the long run. The plant body shop issues can be fixed.

Elon may be fat and happy right now, but that's not going to last long term if he does not clean up the act on build quality.

I like Musk's can-do, and I think he's done a great
job. So maybe I'm prejudiced, but my M3 has been
just fine. And their service has made big advances.
Last year it was woefully understaffed, and they were
pretty disorganized. It was very smooth and really
professional last week.

I think @GZDongles has it right: it's a very self
reinforcing thing, people look for problems, when
others report problems. And tecchies are picky.

I had a flawless delivery 12/ 2018, and a flawless
car. Except for a short but deep scratch in the roof
glass by the trunk. But it wasn't worth hassling. If I'd
been in a picky frame of mind, I would have gone in.

I only took the car in once in 2019, for trouble with
IR sensors that turned out to be a temporary bug.
And they needlessly replaced part of the steering
assembly.

So this last week I was getting the tires rotated and
the HW3 installed. I showed it to a Service Tech, and
he brought out a razor blade, and it turns out it was a
little line of edge sealant on the glass, and it's gone
now. I don't know if they have more problems with QA
now, I sure didn't.

And that in turn affects how I react to the software,
how much I look for flaws, and how I see the company.
A big feedback loop.

Other surveys show most people love their Teslas.
Whatever this JD Powers is, it's a blip in the long run.

I don't normally subscribe to paranoid theories, but
realistically, with the literally Billions that the short
sellers have been bleeding, and think about it, say
a fund shorting TSLA at $300 and it's now at $1200,
there's a truly huge amount of money on or under
the table for even the slightest, the most discreet,
bad words about Tesla.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's just not true, and you are making it up. It's VERY CLEAR the bulk of the complaints by us Tesla owners were related to factory build quality.

In general, luxury brands struggled in the 2020 study in part due to problems with their infotainment systems. However in Tesla's case, though, complaints were focused on paint defects, poor fit of body panels, trunks and hoods that were hard to open and close, too much wind noise in the interior, and squeaks and rattles, according to J.D. Power's automotive President Doug Betts.

The issues were "primarily a result of factory quality," Betts said in an emailed statement.

Dave Sargent, vice president of automotive quality at J.D. Power, added that "it's important to note that the primary reason for Tesla’s score is not the EV-related aspects of the vehicle – they perform well here."

Unless you have been living under a rock, that should surprise no one on this forum.

Hit the nail on the head! I love the model 3 but factory checks are non existent, above represents my car issues and its building up to the point where surveys like this are sharing reality at what is ending up in customers hands. It is not that its not being put right eventually. But its still happening quite frequently. Tesla can fix this is they care enough.

Reactions: afadeev
Maybe my standards are too low. After all, I haven't owned
any serious luxury cars. No Bentleys, not even a Lexus.
When the salesman said "But Mr Fernand, you must
understand, this is not an average car, this is a Lexus",
I burst out laughing. Poor simple me, I thought a Honda
Accord LX was a very well made car. And, as if to viciously
prove me right, 14 years later, it's only needed brakes,
batteries and tires. And the leather seats are perfectly
nice. And it looks pretty good.

So, maybe although it's the most expensive car I've ever
bought, I'm just ignorant. I'm not out there on my Model 3
with a micrometer, checking panel fit, or craning my neck
under all its armpits looking for paint misses, and telling
everyone about QA problems. Like I would be, if I were a
proper luxury car connoisseur.

Last edited:
Other surveys show most people love their Teslas.
Whatever this JD Powers is, it's a blip in the long run.
Suggest you are erroneously assuming complaints and problems are mutually exclusive with us owners loving our Teslas.

In the initial quality survey JD Power does not ask how much you are liking your new vehicle.

Tesla would be far from the first vehicle brand where the owners love them but regularly have complaints and problems.

But I have no problem suggesting we would love them more if the build quality was fixed.

Suggest you are erroneously assuming complaints and problems are mutually exclusive with us owners loving our Teslas.

In the initial quality survey JD Power does not ask how much you are liking your new vehicle.

Tesla would be far from the first vehicle brand where the owners love them but regularly have complaints and problems.

But I have no problem suggesting we would love them more if the build quality was fixed.

Agree. I love my Model 3, but that does not mean it is a trial sometimes. Just last week she had to be towed to the service center when my 12V died during a software update (and while our S was also in the shop). They replaced it under warranty, so it was mostly the inconvenience of having to juggle picking up both cars with no loaners and living too far away for an Uber.

I would be overjoyed if they started prioritizing quality (and customer service).

• Informative
Reactions: Jayson and SlimJim