Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting. Maybe I'm thinking back further in the past than I realize. I'll be testing some outlets at home tonight.

If you see a significant variance from one outlet to another in your house it could be a wiring problem in the house, the outlet itself, or just a load imbalance of what you are running on one breaker. Whatever the highest stable voltage you get on any outlet in your house is what you should be seeing at all of them (give or take a volt, maybe two on a heavily loaded circuit).

If you see 120v on one and 114 on another it's time to shut off everything on that 114v circuit and figure out what isn't right. Ignoring this difference is how you get those articles about an EV setting a house on fire.

If you see the same 114v everywhere you have to start from the breakers, the utility connection (maybe call an electrician) and work your way out to the nearest transformer (utility pole or box in someones yard aka get your utility involved).

If it's outside of your house it is safer but is still costing you money. Devices in the home fail quicker and use more electricity if they are run at lower voltage than they are designed for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I also bite my tongue on EVSE vs Charger.

But on both issues I only hold back when it isn't important to the continuity of a discussion. If one group is speaking correctly and another isn't it either impedes the flow of knowledge or you end up with shouting matches or people just ignore each other.

Well worth being gentle on the reply but not always the best thing to do to just let it be.
Yes, there was a discussion here earlier this year in which someone said their car charger was broken and half of the people replied assuming it was the charger in the car that he was referring to, and half of the replies were about what to do when the EVSE doesn't work. Some people didn't realize that other posts assumed the opposite. It turns out it was the EVSE that wasn't working.

Words matter if we're going to use them to communicate.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
If you see a significant variance from one outlet to another in your house it could be a wiring problem in the house, the outlet itself, or just a load imbalance of what you are running on one breaker. Whatever the highest stable voltage you get on any outlet in your house is what you should be seeing at all of them (give or take a volt, maybe two on a heavily loaded circuit).

If you see 120v on one and 114 on another it's time to shut off everything on that 114v circuit and figure out what isn't right. Ignoring this difference is how you get those articles about an EV setting a house on fire.

If you see the same 114v everywhere you have to start from the breakers, the utility connection (maybe call an electrician) and work your way out to the nearest transformer (utility pole or box in someones yard aka get your utility involved).

If it's outside of your house it is safer but is still costing you money. Devices in the home fail quicker and use more electricity if they are run at lower voltage than they are designed for.

I didn't have this on my work PC but I found it when I got home (from a prior reply on another thread where I had done the research in the past)
In 1942, the Edison Electric Institute published the document Utilization Voltage Standardization Recommendations, EEI Pub. No. J-8. Based on that early document, a joint report was issued in 1949 by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI Pub. No. R6) and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA Pub. No. 117). This 1949 publication was subsequently approved as American National Standard EEI-NEMA Preferred Voltage Ratings for AC Systems and Equipment, ANSI C84.1-1954.

I can't say what year your state or local utility switched to 120v. But I sure know now that the spec is 120v plus or minus a percentage.

ANSI C84.1 Service Voltage Limits

Ø Range A minimum voltage is 95% of nominal voltage
Ø Range A maximum voltage is 105% of nominal voltage

Notice that is 5% above or below. Nothing about 110V being OK.

114V is 5% below nominal

110V is over 8% below nominal.

I don't want to hammer anyone in specific but at the same time I want everyone to know 110v at a house in the US can be a sign of something very wrong no matter how many people say 110v when they mean 120v.

Last edited:
I thought we were past caring about this. 99%+ of people don't know or care about the difference. Inaccurately calling it a charger will continue indefinitely unless someone comes up with a catchy name for the EVSE that isn't "EVSE". That's just the reality of it. "Charging station" is the best I've got, but I doubt it will catch on.
Hey, I don't like the terminology either but we're stuck with it. As enthusiasts or people who know better, let's use the right terminology.

I'm ok w/other alternative commonly used terminology for an L1 or L2 EVSE such as charging station, charging dock and in some cases, trickle charge cable, (trickle) charging cord/cord set, etc. Just don't call it a charger when it's not a charger.

Tesla just refers to their L1/L2 EVSEs as connectors (e.g. Model S/X Wall Connector and Model S/X Mobile Connector Bundle).
99% are not buying EVs.

Of the other 1%, those that refuse to learn the difference between the OBC and the EVSE are doing stupid things like buying 80A OBC and never using it. No skin off my nose, so by all means, they can carry on.
Exactly. Per July 2017 Dashboard - HybridCars.com, the battery electric take rate of vehicle sales in the US was 0.55% of total US auto sales.

And, other people do stupid stuff like buying 30 or 40 amp L2 EVSEs in the hopes it'll charge their 3.3 kW OBC car (16 amp max) faster. And, as I've pointed out to others, not understanding the difference between OBC, EVSE, max vehicle acceptance rate and max station (EVSE) delivery rate could mean buying the wrong vehicle, wrong equipment level or wasting a ton of $ on unnecessary electrical upgrades,

Last edited:
And what the h3ll is CHAdeMO??
From FAQ – Chademo Association and earlier references like http://www.chademo.com/pdf/What'sCHAdeMO.pdf
2. WHERE DOES THE NAME “CHADEMO” DERIVE FROM?
CHAdeMO is a proprietary term for the fast charging infrastructure that the Association promotes for standardisation.

“CHAdeMO” is an abbreviation of “CHArge de MOve,” equivalent to “charge for moving,” and is a pun for “O cha demo ikaga desuka.” in Japanese, meaning “Let’s have a cup of tea while charging.” in English.
CHAdeMO is one of at least 6 plug-incompatible DC fast charge plug standards in the world. TonyWilliams had put up pics at mychevysparkev.com but unfortunately, I believe the images got held hostage by Photobucket. :(

The 6 I'm talking about are: Tesla's North American connector, Tesla's connector for Europe (modified Mennekes Type 2), CHAdeMO, Combo1 (aka SAE Combo) flavor of CCS for North America, Combo2 flavor of CCS for Europe, and China's GB/T standard.

Wow this thread was derailed pretty quick....

Anyway, not to encourage anyone, but I'm kinda pissed the max charger is only 48amps. I was kind of planning on using the 3 for ride sharing (if I even get one) and charging it at 48amps will make that hard. (because you charge every chance you get, and every mile helps) Yes supercharging is an option, but those are crowded enough already. It would be nice to charge at 80amps like I can in my current Tesla.

Not everyone has a standard 9-5 job.

Also before you jump all over about the "Tesla Network" legal stuff, until FSD is reality (years from now) I don't think using a Model 3 on Uber/Lyft will be a problem.

So that's why I wish the 3 had a faster onboard charger.

Reactions: Park2670
They should. I've pointed out several major problems in the 3 design and offered ways to correct them, but they aren't listening to me here on the forums.

And SO WHAT if the big charger is not absolutely needed? 'MERICA! More bigger better faster just because!!!

LOL.....so what if the car that can make or break the company gets a superfluous piece of equipment, cutting into the thin margins the company needs to thrive......

Mods, you can move my response to Snippiness if you feel the need, but this is probably the dumbest thing I've read post-reveal, other than the caterwauling about the 2 people left in the world who want a Model 3, but don't have a smartphone to open it with.

Wow this thread was derailed pretty quick....

Anyway, not to encourage anyone, but I'm kinda pissed the max charger is only 48amps. I was kind of planning on using the 3 for ride sharing (if I even get one) and charging it at 48amps will make that hard. (because you charge every chance you get, and every mile helps) Yes supercharging is an option, but those are crowded enough already. It would be nice to charge at 80amps like I can in my current Tesla.

Not everyone has a standard 9-5 job.

Also before you jump all over about the "Tesla Network" legal stuff, until FSD is reality (years from now) I don't think using a Model 3 on Uber/Lyft will be a problem.

So that's why I wish the 3 had a faster onboard charger.

If your state's insurance laws are anything like mine, you're going to need to Uber 25 hours/day just to pay the bump in your insurance costs.

From FAQ – Chademo Association and earlier references like http://www.chademo.com/pdf/What'sCHAdeMO.pdf

CHAdeMO is one of at least 6 plug-incompatible DC fast charge plug standards in the world. TonyWilliams had put up pics at mychevysparkev.com but unfortunately, I believe the images got held hostage by Photobucket. :(

The 6 I'm talking about are: Tesla's North American connector, Tesla's connector for Europe (modified Mennekes Type 2), CHAdeMO, Combo1 (aka SAE Combo) flavor of CCS for North America, Combo2 flavor of CCS for Europe, and China's GB/T standard.

LOL yeah, I know... I was posting from the standpoint of the rest of my comment: What's the average dude gonna say/think?

This place needs [SARCASM] tags.

(sigh) least incompatible .... drives me nuts when I read double negatives. So you're actually saying it's the most compatible
o_O
hqdefault.jpg

(sigh) least incompatible .... drives me nuts when I read double negatives. So you're actually saying it's the most compatible
o_O
True that CHAdeMO is a world standard unlike say CCS w/its two flavors.

What I meant by "is one of at least 6 plug-incompatible DC fast charge" is that there are at least 6 DC FC plug standards, all of which are plug incompatible with each other. In other words, I know of these 6. There could be more.

Reactions: scaesare
True that CHAdeMO is a world standard unlike say CCS w/its two flavors.

What I meant by "is one of at least 6 plug-incompatible DC fast charge" is that there are at least 6 DC FC plug standards, all of which are plug incompatible with each other. In other words, I know of these 6. There could be more.

There are two reasons incomparable standards exist. One is that the standards aren't finalized--that's why Tesla has its own. Making products to a non-finalized standard is as likely to end up with an incompatible format as making what seems right. The other is limiting competition. An example of this is the European metric tire sizes and the North American P-metric sizes. The P-metric tires were specifically developed so that European tire companies couldn't sell to the North American auto manufacturers without investing in new equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush