Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: scaesare
Hmmm lessee here....onboard chargers:

Ford C-Max: 3.3KW
Mitsubishi iMIEV: 3.3KW
Toyota Prius: 3.3KW
BMW i8: 3.3KW
Chevy Volt: 3.6KW
Nissan Leaf: 6.6KW
Hyundai Ioniq: 6.6KW
Smart EV: 7.0KW
VW e-Golf: 7.2KW
BMW i3: 7.7KW
Chevy Bolt: 7.7KW
Tesla Model 3: 7.7KW
Tesla Model 3-LR: 11.5KW
Tesla Model S(new): 11.5-17.2KW
Tesla Model S(original): 10-20KW

Um.. yeah. There's not a single EV/Hybrid out there I'm aware of that beats the Model 3 charging options...except a Tesla Model S or X.

Pwnd? Hyperbole much?
6.6KW in the Focus EV as well (I have 2 currently and a single 32a charger, yet I don't have an issue with charging them lol) avg 235KW per mile on both lifetime. I think MT was seeing 260 on the 3 they test drove with 3 people in the car and 19's "loaded". I agree with everyone in this thread about people freaking out about charing, have probably never owned an EV. And the Focus is currently charing at about 25 miles an hour at 32A (Overhead accounted for in that charge time)

Reactions: scaesare
I've been using one with my Focus for almost 6 years. The 40a j1772
His point is that Clipper Creek sells EVSE's (analogous to a Tesla HPWC). The chargers being discussed are in the car.

As such, the poster who mentioned the $200 difference in the Clipper Creek EVSE models isn't really making a point germane to this discussion. The components in a charger are significantly more involved than a EVSE.

EDIT: Bonnie aced me by a hair...

From the 4 years of my experience and 80k miles of driving Tesla MS (averaging 20k miles per year, so way more than average), Nema 14-50 is all one needs for home charging. The OP is hyperventilating over something that it is not an issue at all.

Bingo. We've had our S for 4-1/2 years with over 65k miles on it and I would have no problem with the smaller charger on the Model 3. We may get the larger battery but it would be for road trip convenience, not day-to-day charging. I currently have my S set for 30A charging despite having more capacity behind our wall charger, just to minimize our impact on the building when we are charging.

Reactions: jerry33
6.6KW in the Focus EV as well (I have 2 currently and a single 32a charger, yet I don't have an issue with charging them lol) avg 235KW per mile on both lifetime. I think MT was seeing 260 on the 3 they test drove with 3 people in the car and 19's "loaded". I agree with everyone in this thread about people freaking out about charing, have probably never owned an EV. And the Focus is currently charing at about 25 miles an hour at 32A (Overhead accounted for in that charge time)

My point is if Clipper Creek charges $200 more for the higher amperage EVSE, it would not map well to the OP's assertion that it was $20 dollars to do the same for the onboard car charger.

If you go somewhere there is no EV charging (like a house where you need to use a dryer outlet, etc.), then you definitely need the UMC. Perhaps not around home base, but on vacations with a home rental, or to friends and there isn't a Supercharger around or a destination charger available, I'd say definitely.

It's all up to how much you want to plan ahead and how much spare hardware you want to have. :D

Funny, but I don't suddenly find myself out of town at a vacation rental on the spur of the moment that often, and I've never had a vacation rental that had a 240 volt socket that I could use if I did. In 4 1/2 years I've never once used my UMC away from home.

I know squat about chargers so bear with me. Tesla's wall charger is around $500. Clipper Creek and JuiceBox are far more expensive. The Tesla unit can be set up to kick out up to 80 amps for that cost.

Also...what the heck does 14-50 mean? What webpage could I go to to get up to speed on all this electrical charging stuff. Thanks

You don't need the Tesla wall charger, the car comes with everything you need to plug into a standard 120 (NEMA 5-15) or 240 (NEMA 14-50) outlet.

Home charging installation

NEMA connector - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: PRSIST
Funny, but I don't suddenly find myself out of town at a vacation rental on the spur of the moment that often, and I've never had a vacation rental that had a 240 volt socket that I could use if I did. In 4 1/2 years I've never once used my UMC away from home.

Same, I've taken it with me when we've done road trips but never used it. Caveat though, those trips have been in California and you can't swing a cat without hitting a destination charger out here (as well as making PETA very mad).

In your situation, your problem has nothing to do with amps actually, it's life decisions.
  • You live too far from work.
  • You purchased a Phillips screwdriver to remove slotted screws.
Waiting 2.5h for a charge is nuts. Pony up and get a SuperCharger or CHAdeMO installed at your home. Or use ICE technology. Or have 2 EVs. One is always charging, like you do with electric forklifts.

But thinking that there are more than a small handful of people in your situation is not true. Very few people are willing to spend that much of their lives commuting and then waiting to commute some more.

You're making asinine statements without knowing anything about my situation. The one day a week that I have to drive to work is hardly committing too much given that 95% of my family lives in the other direction 45 minutes. The reality is that I do FAR less driving now than when I lived and worked in the Bay Area vs now.

Where I live also affords me a lifestyle that I could never have dreamed of in the Bay Area.

Why is waiting 2.5 hours to charge nuts? Most here seem to be saying it's fine to have to wait longer. Now if you mean because I'm taking off the same night, 2.5 hours is just about how long it takes for me to deal with the other stuff I have to at home + packing up for the weekend so a faster charge rate wouldn't really get me anything but a 6 hour wait?....now that WOULD be nuts.

I don't get the slotted screw reference.

And lastly, where did I imply that overnight charging wouldn't be sufficient for most. I said it would be a non starter for ME.

That said, I think it's more than you think for anyone who intends to use the 3 as a long distance vehicle. Even if I live near where I worked, there would still be an occasional time where I'd have to charge just before leaving town and I'd either have to wait longer or hit a supercharger on my way out.

Last edited:
Do I read that correctly as 126 miles one way ?

I'd assume the standard range car wouldn't suffice for your needs anyway...

Not following. Not only can I charge at work but there are 5 superchargers along the two routes I can take between work and home.

The charging at work is fine 95% of the time. Every now and then I end up driving more than just my commute and have to get a little charge from a supercharger on my way home but not usually.

Not following. Not only can I charge at work but there are 5 superchargers along the two routes I can take between work and home.

The charging at work is fine 95% of the time. Every now and then I end up driving more than just my commute and have to get a little charge from a supercharger on my way home but not usually.
Because as a result of needing quick turnaround charging you said:

sorka said:
32 amps would be a non starter for me.

Given that onboard charger size doesn't affect supercharging, I'm unsure if I understand the issue.

If you have supercharging available to you in those circumstances, why does the on-board charger factor in?