Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main uses for the high amp on-board charger are:
1. You are traveling in an area with no Superchargers or CHAdeMO (or you didn't get the CHAdeMO adapter) but there are 80 amp chargers. (Sun Country in Canada, PlugShare Tesla owners, etc.).
2. You have a short TOU and the higher amps gets you charged up within the lowest cost time period.
3. You drive your car a lot on a daily basis and need it to be ready ASAP.
4. You have multiple Teslas and are using the HPWC to balance the load, so all cars are charged when folks are ready to drive.
Note that if you have one Tesla, no or a long low cost period TOU, or put on very few miles, there's no reason to charge at greater than 32/33 amps at home. There is little difference in the efficiency of charging between 32 and 80 amps (efficiency goes down a lot when charging at very low amps).

You're making asinine statements without knowing anything about my situation. The one day a week that I have to drive to work is hardly committing too much given that 95% of my family lives in the other direction 45 minutes. The reality is that I do FAR less driving now than when I lived and worked in the Bay Area vs now.

Where I live also affords me a lifestyle that I could never have dreamed of in the Bay Area.

Why is waiting 2.5 hours to charge nuts? Most here seem to be saying it's fine to have to wait longer. Now if you mean because I'm taking off the same night, 2.5 hours is just about how long it takes for me to deal with the other stuff I have to at home + packing up for the weekend so a faster charge rate wouldn't really get me anything but a 6 hour wait?....now that WOULD be nuts.

I don't get the slotted screw reference.

And lastly, where did I imply that overnight charging wouldn't be sufficient for most. I said it would be a non starter for ME.

That said, I think it's more than you think for anyone who intends to use the 3 as a long distance vehicle. Even if I live near where I worked, there would still be an occasional time where I'd have to charge just before leaving town and I'd either have to wait longer or hit a supercharger on my way out.

Not so sure about asinine. I use to commute 3 to 6 hours a day for years. This was in the 1980's so I have some experience with driving too damn far to work. Your one day a week uses more electricity than 50 days of my commute to work (5 miles a day roundtrip). I wanted more out of life than seeing other people's taillights so I spent about a million relocating. It was the best investment I've made.

You say "32 amps would be a non starter for me". You are probably incorrect. Since you left out lots of particulars, I have to assume them.

Your P85D? has an EPA of 253 miles and you say you arrive home with 35%. So your driving loop alters your range to 165 miles? ie - in a perfect world you arrive with 3 miles and don't recharge, but apparently you do recharge at work. Instead, you arrive home with 89 miles of indicated range and need to add 55% or 139 miles of indicated range.

The M310 should have 23% more range than your car. And it should charge 139 miles in less than 5 hours IF all it had was 35% left but it doesn't. It should have 58% left instead. So you need 139 miles, and you have 180 miles on the gauge when you arrive home. Charge for 2.5h at 32a should get you about 75 more, or 255 miles indicated, or MORE than your P85D ever shows.

Now this all depends on how you are charging during your commute, but the the result will always show the M310 at 32a winning over the P85D due to the range difference. Unless you want it not to.

CLIFF NOTES: A Model 3 with 310 miles of range and 32 amps of charging will actually take less time in your scenario than your 80 amp charger.

Last edited:
Funny, but I don't suddenly find myself out of town at a vacation rental on the spur of the moment that often, and I've never had a vacation rental that had a 240 volt socket that I could use if I did. In 4 1/2 years I've never once used my UMC away from home.
I use the UMC on almost every trip--make that every trip. I can't recall any where I didn't use the UMC at least once other than a few day trips. This is one of those YMMV situations.

I've been using one with my Focus for almost 6 years. The 40a j1772

You seem to be missing the point. That thing you've been using for 6 years isn't a charger, it is an EVSE.

The thread is about the "charger" which is an internal component of the car. It's literally inside the car where you can't see it or touch it.

The item you have is an EVSE which is outside the car, has a cord and cable and connects between the wall and the car and you can touch it and see it.

Reactions: cwerdna
hmmm... > 500k reservations. Seems like quite a demand...only like nearly 5x the S/X combined. I do not care about the charger, just laughed at your thought that there was not a Model 3 demand.

You chopped his quote.

If a 72 amp charger is that important to you get a Model S. If there is high enough demand for this on the Model 3

The bolded portion you left out is key to his point about a feature not the entire car.

Not following. Not only can I charge at work but there are 5 superchargers along the two routes I can take between work and home.

The charging at work is fine 95% of the time. Every now and then I end up driving more than just my commute and have to get a little charge from a supercharger on my way home but not usually.

And this shows why I don't think your original complaint is valid. You live in Merced. I'm guessing you could go by the Manteca charger on the way home. Charging at Manteca would allow you to drive home and up to Pinecrest without charging at home at all.

There is no supercharger available along the route between my home and vacation home.

I'm still slightly confused. Seems like this works even with a standard range Model 3 and it's 32A charger.

You can charge at work, so you leave there with ~220 miles range. You have a 126 mile commute home. You arrive with 90+ miles range.

You plug in for the 2.5 hours you are used. That adds 75 miles for a total of 165. The distance from Merced to Pinecrest is ~85 miles. Even allowing for elevation change that would seem doable.

If all of the above is cutting it too close, you hit one of the Superchargers on your way home from work so you arrive at home with even greater than 90 miles..

I wanted more out of life than seeing other people's taillights so I spent about a million relocating. It was the best investment I've made.
This is EXACTLY why I do what I do. Having done it for 15 years one way preceded by 10 years living near work I can tell you the situation is far better now than it was before.

You say "32 amps would be a non starter for me". You are probably incorrect. Since you left out lots of particulars, I have to assume them.

Your P85D? has an EPA of 253 miles and you say you arrive home with 35%. So your driving loop alters your range to 165 miles? ie - in a perfect world you arrive with 3 miles and don't recharge, but apparently you do recharge at work. Instead, you arrive home with 89 miles of indicated range and need to add 55% or 139 miles of indicated range.

The M310 should have 23% more range than your car. And it should charge 139 miles in less than 5 hours IF all it had was 35% left but it doesn't. It should have 58% left instead. So you need 139 miles, and you have 180 miles on the gauge when you arrive home. Charge for 2.5h at 32a should get you about 75 more, or 255 miles indicated, or MORE than your P85D ever shows.

Now this all depends on how you are charging during your commute, but the the result will always show the M310 at 32a winning over the P85D due to the range difference. Unless you want it not to.

CLIFF NOTES: A Model 3 with 310 miles of range and 32 amps of charging will actually take less time in your scenario than your 80 amp charger.

I like your argument. I think it favors your assertion even more when you take into account that the 3's wh/mile will a lot lower than the PDs.

Last edited:
And this shows why I don't think your original complaint is valid. You live in Merced. I'm guessing you could go by the Manteca charger on the way home. Charging at Manteca would allow you to drive home and up to Pinecrest without charging at home at all.

Sure, but then I'd have to stop and add more time where I normally don't have to and can just charge at home while I'm getting ready to leave.

Charging to 90% in Manteca would take 30 minutes to go from 65 to 90% and would only leave me with 25 rates miles by the time I got to Pinecrest. Plus I don't like to charge at high temps to high states of charge. I use the supercharger and charge to just enough to get to my next destination when I have to. Typically this is on long trips with multiple supercharging stops where I charge just enough to get to the next supercharger with only 10% left as that's what gets me along the trip the fastest. I don't want to spend any more time than I have to at a supercharger.

McRat has already pointed out that the 310 mile range of the 3 beats my current scenario compared to my 253 mile range of the P85D.

hmmm... > 500k reservations. Seems like quite a demand...only like nearly 5x the S/X combined. I do not care about the charger, just laughed at your thought that there was not a Model 3 demand.

Maybe you should read my quote again.

If there is high enough demand for this on the Model 3 I'm sure Tesla will add this as an option later.

I didn't say anything about demand for the Model 3, I was clearly talking about the demand for the higher amperage charger.

There's a $200 difference between a 32AMP and a 48AMP charger sold by clipper creek.

Even if it were $20 so what? You can buy the longer range version if you want it so badly. Or don't buy the Model 3 at all.

Care to share what your specific credentials are in IT? I'm ready to make a fool out of you there as well.

1245 posts and you don't know the difference between a charger and an EVSE? Maybe instead of wasting time looking up other peoples posts you could do a little self education.

• Disagree
Reactions: bonnie