Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't remember where I read it but any roof mounted bits have a big impact on range.
I think that the article I read reckoned than one of those supposedly aerodynamic roof pods can reduce range by as much as 30% at 65mph.
i would imagine that a bike might be even worse.

Thanks DB, that's excellent info as usual. I have a bunch of off-road bikes ranging from a sub 10 kg Santa Cruz all the way up to a Stealth Bomber weighing in at around 53 kg. I don't think I'd have a problem lifting the lightweight up onto a roof-rack but the heavyweight...forget about it. At least that gives me some perspective while I wait for my car.
I've thought long and hard about this as we transport bikes a lot. I'll be folding the seats and putting them inside. When bikes are dirty we use towels

That is what I have been doing, and yes, they fit, but are damn awkward to get in and out, hence my research. There is the step from the boot floor to the back of the seats.. That stops you simply sliding them in.
Yes, there would be a significant impact on range. But I am not planning to transport long distance. Only around town.

A techo question post 6.2 download.

Ive noted an interesting effect this morning..... The cruise control wouldnt engage at 70kph ( clear road ahead) ( alarm read - cruise control cannot engage limited front camera vision) after retrying several times I started to fume only to randomly try it again (force of habit) at 100kph on the freeway and it kicked in ?. Anyone else experienced this new effect. Everything else including blindspot seems to work perfectly.

Ive noted an interesting effect this morning..... The cruise control wouldnt engage at 70kph ( clear road ahead) ( alarm read - cruise control cannot engage limited front camera vision) after retrying several times I started to fume only to randomly try it again (force of habit) at 100kph on the freeway and it kicked in ?. Anyone else experienced this new effect. Everything else including blindspot seems to work perfectly.
Nope - no issues with it so far.

That is what I have been doing, and yes, they fit, but are damn awkward to get in and out, hence my research. There is the step from the boot floor to the back of the seats.. That stops you simply sliding them in.
Yes, there would be a significant impact on range. But I am not planning to transport long distance. Only around town.
We've travelled a lot with bikes, here and in Europe. What really works the best is putting the bike into a soft bike bag, it takes a few minutes but isn't that difficult. It keeps the bikes clean, the car clean, and it's really easy to slide 2 bikes in through the hatch, they don't get tangled. We use this but there are many different bags that would work as well.

Hi Keiron,
My traffic aware cruise control is working fine. One idea: perhaps it was bug splatter on the camera, or a bird dropping that blew off at 100kph?
It's kind of mind blowing using TACC in heavy traffic, huh?
I've found it sometimes useful to twist the indicator while on the move, to adjust the distance to the car in front, in real time. It's so much fun to drive this car....

See the launch of the S70D (replacing S60) Tesla Motors on Twitter: , New colours and also the pricing of autopilot(ability to activate after delivery) have all been introduced. Gone is the $5200 (ish) option Tech pack. Pano roof reduced to $1900 and the power tail gate note moved to Premium option :( Also the 85 now has a larger 315kw motor, 0-100 now 4.6s (pretty much the + performance)

With the S70D now so close (& I think great value) to the S85, it would surely be only at matter of weeks before they announce an upgrade to the 85 series (hopefully 100) before it cannibalizes sales of the 85.
Having said that, I do feel for people here who have waited very patiently for their vehicles only to see it superceded before even taking delivery.

Last edited:
See the launch of the S70D (replacing S60) Tesla Motors on Twitter: , New colours and also the pricing of autopilot(ability to activate after delivery) have all been introduced. Gone is the $5200 (ish) option Tech pack. Pano roof reduced to $1900 and the power tail gate note moved to Premium option :( Also the 85 now has a larger 315kw motor, 0-100 now 4.6s (pretty much the + performance)

With the S70D now so close (& I think great value) to the S85, it would surely be only at matter of weeks before they announce an upgrade to the 85 series (hopefully 100) before it cannibalizes sales of the 85.
Having said that, I do feel for people here who have waited very patiently for their vehicles only to see it superceded before even taking delivery.

I'm in this boat and of two minds at the moment. On the one hand, the price rise that they introduced between me initially expressing interest and placing the order was almost enough to push me out of the market, as I was already struggling to justify the cost of the car. So to have managed to get an order in before the entry point went up another $7k + taxes is a good thing, as I may have baulked at that on top of the previous price rise and passed entirely. And I'll get my car 'soon'.

On the other hand, before I even get my vehicle it has been made obsolete, and has probably been devalued since for the extra $7k starting price of the 70D you get supercharging, dual motors, most of the hardware side of the tech pack, unlimited km drive train warranty and a higher performance vehicle. But you have to wait until September.

Since I was looking to spend the minimum then overall it's probably not a bad situation since I didn't actually want/need any of the additional stuff that is now included in the higher base price. But it's almost certainly affected long term value of my yet-to-be-delivered car which kind of takes the gloss off things. Fortunately my plan is to keep the car long term so resale is probably pretty irrelevant (and a large unknown with these vehicles in any case).

Be interesting to see if they do any retrospective adjustments for recent orders, particularly in relation to supercharging and warranty. BTW the single motor variants don't appear on the US site for order either (even though they're mentioned on the spec page) so I think this is a general end of model cutover and they'll all be Ds from now on. (Edit: yes they are, if you select the 85 you get the option to choose single motor still)

Last edited:
I'm in this boat and of two minds at the moment. On the one hand, the price rise that they introduced between me initially expressing interest and placing the order was almost enough to push me out of the market, as I was already struggling to justify the cost of the car. So to have managed to get an order in before the entry point went up another $7k + taxes is a good thing, as I may have baulked at that on top of the previous price rise and passed entirely. And I'll get my car 'soon'.

On the other hand, before I even get my vehicle it has been made obsolete, and has probably been devalued since for the extra $7k starting price of the 70D you get supercharging, dual motors, most of the hardware side of the tech pack, unlimited km drive train warranty and a higher performance vehicle. But you have to wait until September.

Since I was looking to spend the minimum then overall it's probably not a bad situation since I didn't actually want/need any of the additional stuff that is now included in the higher base price. But it's almost certainly affected long term value of my yet-to-be-delivered car which kind of takes the gloss off things. Fortunately my plan is to keep the car long term so resale is probably pretty irrelevant (and a large unknown with these vehicles in any case).

Be interesting to see if they do any retrospective adjustments for recent orders, particularly in relation to supercharging and warranty. BTW the single motor variants don't appear on the US site for order either (even though they're mentioned on the spec page) so I think this is a general end of model cutover and they'll all be Ds from now on. (Edit: yes they are, if you select the 85 you get the option to choose single motor still)

I understand you entirely, caught in limbo so to speak, with our cars built, awaiting transportation.

In my case, justifying the decision to outlay an enormous sum for a car was the most difficult part of this process, or so I thought. Once the decision was made, and the order confirmed, I felt genuinely elated. I feel sure that the smile will return when the car arrives, but as for today, the thought that the car that I can most closely select to my spec is now $3500+ cheaper, has made for a most disappointing day. Yes, 3.5k is small change when spending 140k, however...

I have expressed this to TESLA Sydney and got a nice, bouncy upbeat reply about the excitement of the new product, whilst assuring me "This particular price change hasn’t worked in your favour, but you can rest assured that if any other price was to rise, that you won’t have to pay more."

Some of the glitz is well and truly tarnished.

Just goes to prove the point that when you see me in a checkout lane, choose another, as mine is sure to close!

I understand you entirely, caught in limbo so to speak, with our cars built, awaiting transportation.

In my case, justifying the decision to outlay an enormous sum for a car was the most difficult part of this process, or so I thought. Once the decision was made, and the order confirmed, I felt genuinely elated. I feel sure that the smile will return when the car arrives, but as for today, the thought that the car that I can most closely select to my spec is now $3500+ cheaper, has made for a most disappointing day. Yes, 3.5k is small change when spending 140k, however...

I have expressed this to TESLA Sydney and got a nice, bouncy upbeat reply about the excitement of the new product, whilst assuring me "This particular price change hasn’t worked in your favour, but you can rest assured that if any other price was to rise, that you won’t have to pay more."

Some of the glitz is well and truly tarnished.

Just goes to prove the point that when you see me in a checkout lane, choose another, as mine is sure to close!

They could even give you a 70 battery that is limited by software to 60 for the 60 price. They would then remove the software limiter if you pay them the difference between the 60 and the 70 battery. I believe Tesla did exactly that when the 60 battery was introduced after the, was it the 45?

They could even give you a 70 battery that is limited by software to 60 for the 60 price. They would then remove the software limiter if you pay them the difference between the 60 and the 70 battery. I believe Tesla did exactly that when the 60 battery was introduced after the, was it the 45?

I was in fact wondering if that might turn out to be the case. However given the September delivery timeline on 70D it's possible 70kWh batteries don't exist as yet!

I've got more philosophical about this as the day has passed. Basically if I was ordering now I would be paying $10+k more to get a faster car with more range etc than what I have on order. I had that option at the time I ordered as well, it was called an S85 and I passed on it for reasons that are still valid. So overall I see myself as lucky to have been able to get the car I wanted at a lower price than today (which would most likely have meant no Tesla for me, at least for now). Won't stop me from seeing if Tesla might do something nice like throw in supercharging :)

I feel for RBR though, who is in the opposite situation of his spec being cheaper now than when he ordered.

I was in fact wondering if that might turn out to be the case. However given the September delivery timeline on 70D it's possible 70kWh batteries don't exist as yet!

I've got more philosophical about this as the day has passed. Basically if I was ordering now I would be paying $10+k more to get a faster car with more range etc than what I have on order. I had that option at the time I ordered as well, it was called an S85 and I passed on it for reasons that are still valid. So overall I see myself as lucky to have been able to get the car I wanted at a lower price than today (which would most likely have meant no Tesla for me, at least for now). Won't stop me from seeing if Tesla might do something nice like throw in supercharging :)

I feel for RBR though, who is in the opposite situation of his spec being cheaper now than when he ordered.

Has everyone noticed that they are getting shafted on the glass roof. We paid 3200. It is now 1900. But we save on the base model price, the paint cost, and the suspension. All in all I am a massive 50 bucks better off. But I am happier with the tech package bundle we got and I believe that our Next Gen Seats apply to the back seat as well unlike the current cheaper Next Gen Seats.

Has everyone noticed that they are getting shafted on the glass roof. We paid 3200. It is now 1900. But we save on the base model price, the paint cost, and the suspension. All in all I am a massive 50 bucks better off. But I am happier with the tech package bundle we got and I believe that our Next Gen Seats apply to the back seat as well unlike the current cheaper Next Gen Seats.

All these package and price changes (in both directions) are making it difficult to judge whether my original order price is still a good deal. On the one hand I get power liftgate without having to pay for the overpriced leather, on the other hand if they introduce a larger battery or LED headlights or something in the near future I'm probably out of luck, and my supposedly top-of-the-line P85D suddenly becomes obsolete before it's even delivered. They offered to rebuild the sigs because autopilot hardware is supposed to be standard across the board — I doubt they'd do the same for new paid options.

All these package and price changes (in both directions) are making it difficult to judge whether my original order price is still a good deal. On the one hand I get power liftgate without having to pay for the overpriced leather, on the other hand if they introduce a larger battery or LED headlights or something in the near future I'm probably out of luck, and my supposedly top-of-the-line P85D suddenly becomes obsolete before it's even delivered. They offered to rebuild the sigs because autopilot hardware is supposed to be standard across the board — I doubt they'd do the same for new paid options.

I think it is unfortunately the name of the game that early adopters of new technology will soon find their models obsolete. I accept that and reckon it will happen with my Tesla sooner rather than later. I just say to myself that I am happy to splurge now because I am happy with the model as it is even though it will soon be outdated by something better and cheaper, even from Tesla itself. Captain Kirk's Enterprise had to make way for the next generation one. And so what was once the pride of the fleet becomes your regular old clunkadunk. And I will go from a young lusty zestful bull to an old timer reminiscing about how in my day we only had the P85Ds and listened to Katy Perry..

Last edited:
Hi ZTrekus,

Couldn't agree more. We early adopters are driven by the IDEA of the Tesla design and vision. Improvement is inevitable more over its vital for the product and the image of the product to evolve and capture the imagination of the buyers. Your average buyer tends to look at their pocket first and the car later. What can I get with my resources(cash) or repayment capacity.....
Finance companies understand implicitly that the vast majority of people WANT to live a cashflow well above there income capability. Its this "Me too" syndrome that pushes demand but first they have to be made to WANT the product. Ive had my Model S since just after Christmas/New Year and I am astounded that even with its breathtaking performance I get the feeling I could do with a bit more grunt on takeover occasionally... That and the unfortunate necessity to drive my wife's Subaru Impressa for a day showed my how quickly we acclimatise to new performance and luxury of the car. It wouldn't matter if it came with platinum door handles , 0-100Km in 1.115 Seconds, 200000Kms battery range for $2.50 and hot and cold running nymphets we would WANT more eventually we would EXPECT more. Captain Kirk had a top speed of Warp 6.4 as I recall in the original series. Captain Janeway (Tom Paris Pilot Delta flyer) reputedly got all the way to WARP 10- equivalent of P85D+ by today's standards :love: I gotta save up and get me the new model. I am heartened every-time I use one of my management cliches in staff meetings - "It is fortune that favors the BOLD - lets boldly do what no one else has ever done."- I usually get a lot of eye rolling....:biggrin: They get the point - Have a go you'll be generally surprised by the outcome.