Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ZTrekus,

Couldn't agree more. We early adopters are driven by the IDEA of the Tesla design and vision. Improvement is inevitable more over its vital for the product and the image of the product to evolve and capture the imagination of the buyers. Your average buyer tends to look at their pocket first and the car later. What can I get with my resources(cash) or repayment capacity.....
Finance companies understand implicitly that the vast majority of people WANT to live a cashflow well above there income capability. Its this "Me too" syndrome that pushes demand but first they have to be made to WANT the product. Ive had my Model S since just after Christmas/New Year and I am astounded that even with its breathtaking performance I get the feeling I could do with a bit more grunt on takeover occasionally... That and the unfortunate necessity to drive my wife's Subaru Impressa for a day showed my how quickly we acclimatise to new performance and luxury of the car. It wouldn't matter if it came with platinum door handles , 0-100Km in 1.115 Seconds, 200000Kms battery range for $2.50 and hot and cold running nymphets we would WANT more eventually we would EXPECT more. Captain Kirk had a top speed of Warp 6.4 as I recall in the original series. Captain Janeway (Tom Paris Pilot Delta flyer) reputedly got all the way to WARP 10- equivalent of P85D+ by today's standards :love: I gotta save up and get me the new model. I am heartened every-time I use one of my management cliches in staff meetings - "It is fortune that favors the BOLD - lets boldly do what no one else has ever done."- I usually get a lot of eye rolling....:biggrin: They get the point - Have a go you'll be generally surprised by the outcome.

I completely agree with you Keiron.

If you were my boss I would clap - I love cliched sayings :D

I completely agree with you Keiron.

If you were my boss I would clap - I love cliched sayings :D

Yes me too Keiron, I also agree with what you have said - and especially about even if the car had more features we would always want that too. My background is that I was driving a Prius for some time. I recently bought a BMW i3 and loved it so much, I decided I wanted more and ordered a Tesla - reluctantly securing my wife's consent on the bribe that she would get the i3 and it is a really good car to drive. After a while of driving the i3, I then drove my wife's Prius again and realised just what a difference there was between the cars. How we really do adapt. (Like the Borg right?).

So anyway, the idea now is to wait for the Tesla and then when I get it, to put and end to this mad game for the foreseeable future. Fascinating it is that the cars update themselves over the airwaves. That has got to be exciting each time that that happens. But that also means that there will come a day (and soon enough I wager) when the updates will either stop or only partially apply to the now lesser model that has certain newer hardware features missing... Oh well, here's to what, a good 5, 8, 10, 12 years of driving an obsolete model??

Cheerio

Fantastic Keiron! We do get used to the Awesomeness of driving the Tesla until we have to drive something else, then I just can't wait to get back in the Tesla. When Im in the Tesla it feels like driving is effortless because of the logic of physics. With my family in the car, I feel like we are being taken care of. I can even hear everyone talking as if they were in our dinning room. they are not trying to talk (over the noise of wind & engine). When I get back into a ICE car it feels like I am driving despite physics.

I was in fact wondering if that might turn out to be the case. However given the September delivery timeline on 70D it's possible 70kWh batteries don't exist as yet!
70kWh batteries certainly do exist, as do finished 70D cars.

70d.jpg

Tesla Model S 70D In New Warm Silver Color

The problem with the D vehicles in RHD markets is that there is some general delay in manufacturing for RHD + Dual motor. That is the reason for the September 70D delivery estimates in Australia.

70kWh batteries certainly do exist, as do finished 70D cars.

View attachment 77583
Tesla Model S 70D In New Warm Silver Color

The problem with the D vehicles in RHD markets is that there is some general delay in manufacturing for RHD + Dual motor. That is the reason for the September 70D delivery estimates in Australia.

I think that particular photo does not flatter the new warm silver colour. Evertime I scroll down this page and glimpse it, my first impression is that of a silver car that is in dire need of a wash to get the mud off of it.

I think that particular photo does not flatter the new warm silver colour. Evertime I scroll down this page and glimpse it, my first impression is that of a silver car that is in dire need of a wash to get the mud off of it.
That is probably the worst picture from the whole story as far as lighting and showing the color. I chose that one to put here because it showed the 70D badge. Click through to the linked InsideEVs story - the first two pictures show the color nicely.

I agree with the notion of our cars becoming prematurely obsolete. I have a P85 and discovered on the weekend that I could now get a new 85D with superior specifications to mine for about $8k less! This is despite the fall in the AUD. I could throw in the upgraded sound and still come away with change! I suspect that the now minimal performance difference (0-100 in 4.6s instead of 4.4s) would not be noticeable and in fact the reduced tyre slip probably means the new car would actually outperform mine in many circumstances. I push my P85 pretty hard and frequently encounter tyre slip! I would love to own a P85D and give myself retinal bleeds every time the lights turn green!

Having said this I don't care in the slightest. My car is absolutely fantastic and I get immense pleasure every time I drive it. Last night I had to do a 1am run to the supermarket for baby supplies. My wife's car was in the way, but I took the time to move it so I could drive the Tesla. The 15 minutes in the Tesla was worth the 2 minutes to move the old car out of way! I bought the car with the intention of keeping it for 8-10 years knowing that there will be so much progress in the EV world that it will be very obsolete by that time. Indeed Tesla are iterating and innovating even faster than I imagined. The P85D was unimaginable even 6 months ago, yet now everyone is whinging that they can't get their's today! By the time they are delivered in Australia there will probably be a P105D announced for the same price for everyone to get upset about.

Perhaps in 3 years I will take a close look at Tesla's buy-back guarantee (although have they said they will apply that to cars bought before it existed?). If my finances are up to it (they probably won't be) perhaps I will think about upgrading at that point. If I can't though, I still won't have any regrets. My Model S is the best thing I have ever owned and I have no regrets about getting in early. Just accept that if you buy a Model S you are buying a car that will be superseded faster than you expected and that the resale value is completely unpredictable, excepting Tesla's buy-back promise. If you wait for the field to stabilise you will be waiting for a very long time and missing out on so so much.

I agree with the notion of our cars becoming prematurely obsolete. I have a P85 and discovered on the weekend that I could now get a new 85D with superior specifications to mine for about $8k less! This is despite the fall in the AUD. I could throw in the upgraded sound and still come away with change! I suspect that the now minimal performance difference (0-100 in 4.6s instead of 4.4s) would not be noticeable and in fact the reduced tyre slip probably means the new car would actually outperform mine in many circumstances. I push my P85 pretty hard and frequently encounter tyre slip! I would love to own a P85D and give myself retinal bleeds every time the lights turn green!

Having said this I don't care in the slightest. My car is absolutely fantastic and I get immense pleasure every time I drive it. Last night I had to do a 1am run to the supermarket for baby supplies. My wife's car was in the way, but I took the time to move it so I could drive the Tesla. The 15 minutes in the Tesla was worth the 2 minutes to move the old car out of way! I bought the car with the intention of keeping it for 8-10 years knowing that there will be so much progress in the EV world that it will be very obsolete by that time. Indeed Tesla are iterating and innovating even faster than I imagined. The P85D was unimaginable even 6 months ago, yet now everyone is whinging that they can't get their's today! By the time they are delivered in Australia there will probably be a P105D announced for the same price for everyone to get upset about.

Perhaps in 3 years I will take a close look at Tesla's buy-back guarantee (although have they said they will apply that to cars bought before it existed?). If my finances are up to it (they probably won't be) perhaps I will think about upgrading at that point. If I can't though, I still won't have any regrets. My Model S is the best thing I have ever owned and I have no regrets about getting in early. Just accept that if you buy a Model S you are buying a car that will be superseded faster than you expected and that the resale value is completely unpredictable, excepting Tesla's buy-back promise. If you wait for the field to stabilise you will be waiting for a very long time and missing out on so so much.

I have the exact same philosophy. It's as if you took it straight out of my head. It will be sad when the next whiz bang model makes the P85D obsolete and no doubt it will happen by progression. I suppose the big development in the tech field is the battery. At the moment they use LiIon. But when they bring out the new whatevers, we will really start to feel like yesterday's tech.

But I can truly feel for you doing the calculations on the next D model and comparing the tech. But like you I would have the same stoic attitude knowing full well that we went into the field buying only the state of the art at the time whilst the art itself is very fluid.

When all is said and done, it comes down to drawing a line under your model and committing to it in good times and in bad, for better for worse in sickness and in health. Not for moral reasons of course, unless one starts making comparisons with the "Prodigal Son", but for economic reasons... Can't afford to own a harem!

Ditto! Well said.

Just wondering what everyone's doing with their keys at night now? Putting them in the freezer? Thieves with fob power amplification devices are stealing cars or their contents easily - this $17 device. Many "simple solutions" but how about modifying the fobs urgently? Quick temporary fix - turn off keyless entry?

http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/201...oyota-prius-mazda-3-lexus-suvs-more-key-fobs/

View attachment 78155

I park my Tesla in a different building from where I live and the car is about 500 meters from the fobs.
It a lot different in the Southern Highlands so I think I might look for a faraday box or bag.

Driveby photos of the Richmond shop.

All new ground floor walls, added structural supports and added glass 'sheets' rather than the original glass frames every two meters or so, looks a lot nicer.

Only four supercharger bays (at least on the south half of that parking area) where there used to be 9 carparks, could have easily fitted 6 SCs there, I guess they'll throw in some HPWCs in the other spots and have customer parking on the nothern half of the carpark.

The glass wall around the corner from the superchargers is a retractable/sliding door (main focus of first photo), so no doubt deliveries from that half of the building with the reception and showroom on the northern side. Photos are from the Dale St side of the building, not sure if they are replicating the door on the Walnut St side, the showroom/offices part of the building is symmetrical, with the warehouse/workshop out back.

And lastly it looks like the foundations for a large Tesla freestanding sign in the lower left of the second image. Probably visible from Church street if you are looking towards it and it ends up tall enough.
qjZlH5y.jpg

Edit: And browsing the City of Yarra planning application page, here are the listed entries for Tesla for the site:
WNvUgVP.jpg

Last edited: