Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Tesla do have roadside assistance - not sure who provides the service, perhaps NRMA. My experience with them is that you can wait hours. Especially in Sydney. So, yes. That is a simpler solution. This is a more convenient solution. Also, the tyres are not necessarily in stock at the average tyre place, and would probably need to be ordered in. This way, no problem. I have a spare.

Well, Tesla do have roadside assistance - not sure who provides the service, perhaps NRMA. My experience with them is that you can wait hours. Especially in Sydney. So, yes. That is a simpler solution. This is a more convenient solution. Also, the tyres are not necessarily in stock at the average tyre place, and would probably need to be ordered in. This way, no problem. I have a spare.
The suggestion that a flat will be fixed by calling roadside assistance might work in the big smoke but is simply silly if you are anywhere else!
I destroyed a Prius energy efficient tyre a year or so ago and it took 4 days to get a replacement. I would think that a Tesla spec tyre might present a similar problem.
I have also added a full kit to enable me to change a wheel. However I bought a second hand BMW X5 space saver which I now carry in the froot - with jack, breaker bar, wheel chocks, and even a tyre plug kit. Plus the Tesla pump with slime goop which Tesla sold me for about $65.
Magic car but mean buggers when it comes to extras. Did I mention that they insisted on charging me $26 for a Tesla cap on the day I collected my car?

I guess a cheaper, lighter and (considering Tesla's point on the crumple zone) safer option would be to carry just the Tesla Tire Inflation Kit and a spare tyre (without the rim). The tyre could then be swapped over quickly at any tyre shop nearby. No need to order it in. Not quite as convinient as a full spare but maybe a reasonable compromise especially considering the other issues.

Got 6.1 firmware this morning - drove almost the whole way to work without touching the brake/go pedal!

Best thing is auto braking/accelerating when cars change lanes in front of u & coming to a stop @ lights with no intervention. GO SPARKY!!! YOU'RE SELF AWARE!!! :biggrin:

VisibleTesla - My apologies for stating the obvious if you already are using this program - this is a fantastic program and worthwhile exploring.

I have just installed it from http://visibletesla.com/Documentation/site_index.html

I knew the program existed but wrongly assumed it did similar to the phone apps and I was too busy exploring all the other car related options.

The program is packed with features that will take ages to explore. It includes notification options such as "notify if car exceeds NNN"

The only worry is the geo fencing - this is a bit scary.

Cheers
Higgy

Tesla does NOT recommend this because of crumple zone issues, but hey, I think the wheel may be an additional buffer.

Yep for a few hundred dollars you can undo millions of dollars and many years of research into crumple zones and passenger cell safety. You already have the portable air compressor so just buy a plug temporary repair kit or some tyre goo and fix it until you get to a service centre/tyre place.

Yep for a few hundred dollars you can undo millions of dollars and many years of research into crumple zones and passenger cell safety. You already have the portable air compressor so just buy a plug temporary repair kit or some tyre goo and fix it until you get to a service centre/tyre place.
I we follow your logic we would never put anything in the froot and the space would be wasted.
it is clearly meant to be used as a luggage or storage area. Why not a wheel and tyre?
A temporary plug repair kit means you need a jack as a minimum and a means of removing the punctured wheel as it is almost impossible to plug a tyre on the car.

I have decided to sell my carbon fibre dash trim and yacht floor. NOT the armrest area where the cupholders are. Very little of that area is exposed. Frankly, with my custom trim, I don't notice or see that area.
The pieces are in mint condition. Given that they are genuine OEM parts, i can see no reason why Tesla would not install for you, but i would check first, unless you want to do it yourself, which i now can help you with.
The cost new for carbon fibre is $1050 in Australia. i would charge $700.00 plus shipping (unless you pick up).
So, 3 Dash pieces, and the yacht floor. The yacht floor is a 2 minute instal if that, it just lifts out from the rear once you get a hooked tool under the edge. The replacement just slides in and down, done.
PM me if you are interested.

Not too hard really. Just need a bit of courage. All the leather below the trim clips out (clips are tight.) Top dash pad clips on, just need the front to unclip, Lift about 2-3 cm., except under the binnacle where there are 2 screws supporting the dash pad binnacle (needs to be done first). There is a hard plastic cover which needs to be clipped out to get access to the binnacle screws. Also the fabric on top of the steering column needs unclipping from the bezel. 4 screws in the bezel - top and bottom 2 top 2 bottom. then various screws holding the bottom of the trim and a single screw above each vent, then unclip the trim. Passenger side, need to undo the 6 screws holding the glove box in. No need to remove it though. Just move it out about 5 cm, just to give enough room, don't disconnect any wiring (latch and light). All screws are Torx 20 heads. Then unscrew the vents from the trim and screw onto the new trim.
I used plastic trim pullers - i bought a set on E bay. about $10. I can use them again to remove the headlining on my boat when necessary. They cause no damage. Just need to know in what direction to pull.

Elon announces a press conference Thursday morning California time t eliminate range anxiety across the fleet! Over the air, no less. So probably not more superchargers for us, but what?

Quite likely people may have seen my post on the Tesla forum thread on this so I won't rehash all that. But to meet the criteria laid out in Musk's tweet my best guess is something related to reliable range prediction to remove uncertainty and thus anxiety. Some range increase through fancy inverter tweaking and range mode adjustment might also be possible but my understanding is that these things are highly efficient already so can't imagine there's much headroom to play with. Trouble is, neither of those guesses would seem significant enough to warrant the hype Musk appears to be generating around the annoucement, so who knows!

Quite likely people may have seen my post on the Tesla forum thread on this so I won't rehash all that. But to meet the criteria laid out in Musk's tweet my best guess is something related to reliable range prediction to remove uncertainty and thus anxiety. Some range increase through fancy inverter tweaking and range mode adjustment might also be possible but my understanding is that these things are highly efficient already so can't imagine there's much headroom to play with. Trouble is, neither of those guesses would seem significant enough to warrant the hype Musk appears to be generating around the annoucement, so who knows!

Perhaps we all get an electronic voucher for a free 120kWhr battery upgrade:biggrin:

My bet is better range prediction - I can't see them sending an update that radically improves the range itself.

Indeed. I think the key here is "range anxiety" - being a subjective opinion about range remaining. If we could trust the range predictor of the Model S 100% or even 90%, then it wouldn't be range anxiety, it would just be fact. Because you'll know straight away whether you're going to make it or not.

One thing I am quite worried about though is whether Elon tweeted this bit of info to stem the drop in TSLA's share price, because traditionally his tweets have sent share prices rocketing up. It seems that it's had a smaller effect this time. Also, the press are reporting it as an update that will extend range, or similar wording, which means that if it turns out to be a better range prediction, the "market" will be disappointed and send the stock even lower...

One thing I am quite worried about though is whether Elon tweeted this bit of info to stem the drop in TSLA's share price, because traditionally his tweets have sent share prices rocketing up. It seems that it's had a smaller effect this time. Also, the press are reporting it as an update that will extend range, or similar wording, which means that if it turns out to be a better range prediction, the "market" will be disappointed and send the stock even lower...

Perfect buying opportunity.