Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is available for viewing in Sydney in extremely limited availability over the next few days. It is not available for test drive but the car is powered on. I am checking it out this afternoon. Appointment only.

Hey Heosat understand no photos but would love a writeup! Have you seen it in person before? Are your expectations met? How do you feel about the interiors quality? If you can turn it on, can you check local radio reception?

Hey Heosat understand no photos but would love a writeup! Have you seen it in person before? Are your expectations met? How do you feel about the interiors quality? If you can turn it on, can you check local radio reception?
I drove an early build possible even pre-production Model S back in August 2012 and could find little to fault fit and finish. A couple of wide gaps here and there but nothing major. I also understand from this forum that the build quality has improved somewhat too.
As to radio reception, I think there may be limited AM reception like many modern cars but the Australian Model S will likely include DAB+ Digital radio.

I did a write up on the Model S here: 3 Quick Electric Car Reviews: Nissan LEAF, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S - Reckoner

I was very happy with the RHD Model S, the production qualities are obviously excellent, even though it was one of the first ever made. Interior quality and seats were better than I remembered.

Importantly for me the car had DAB and I could access 702. I didn't get a chance to check AM/FM reception though.

No photos to publish - understandably they are not ready yet. Once the car is available to drive there will be more info. DAB radio is an option and sounds quite good. The car is RHD. Finish looks excellent. I saw the car inside and it was getting dark but panel gaps & paint quality look great. Interior looks nice and the 12 way seats are fine. I'd prefer more lateral support, but coming from a Porsche I may be a little biased. :)

Getting very excited now.

From Jerome a few moments ago in response to whether pricing would be released after today's earning call. "We have an agreement for the strategy for home charging, but we still need to finalize the solution for mobile charging."
I did ask when we could expect the pricing, but that was not responded to.

Disappointed!!! NO mention of Australian deliveries. All other RHD markets mentioned with UK starting next month - June. Q3 fro HK and Japan. Our population is far larger than HK and potential sales here much greater with some effort. Can not understand the apparent hesitation.

Disappointed!!! NO mention of Australian deliveries. All other RHD markets mentioned with UK starting next month - June. Q3 fro HK and Japan. Our population is far larger than HK and potential sales here much greater with some effort. Can not understand the apparent hesitation.

Its pretty easy to understand:
- They have more orders.
- Their cars are cheaper.
- They already have excellent EV infrastructure.
- They only have to build one service center and one showroom.

Hey mate - the reason HK is mentioned is because it has a direct tie to sales in China. As HK sales ramp up, more and more mainland Chinese will also sign up, so I think it's understandable.

For Australia, I expect we'll be fairly low priority - so probably before Christmas...

And are you going to check out the Tesla today? Don't punch Stone out haha!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys - increase to fuel excise?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/07/drivers-excise-hit-cabinet-searches-budget-savings

Even if it doesn't happen this term, it will happen and will become a trend. I think stuff like this will increase orders for electric cars like the Model S, where consumers can choose their source of electricity and hopefully come out on top.

I think that's a big plus for both the environment and the economy, as any savings that come from reduced fuel costs will be put back into the economy through more consumer spending, or will benefit the economy in the long run from improved savings.

Can't wait!

Was this the car that was in Canberra being passed for Australian roads?
Is the car able to drive on our roads yet?
Any indication on when test drive cars will come?
My old mans in Melbourne, so when a test drive is available there I'll fly over and go with him to check it out.

Hong Kong has about 1000 orders according according to the local staff. That's about 5 times what is likely to be sold in Australia. It is also an iconic market for Asia, everyone follows HK trends. I suspect they know Australia will be so expensive that sales will be low.

Was this the car that was in Canberra being passed for Australian roads?
Is the car able to drive on our roads yet?
Any indication on when test drive cars will come?
My old mans in Melbourne, so when a test drive is available there I'll fly over and go with him to check it out.

1. Probably as there is only one in Australia.
2. Technically it can but there are still some paperwork items.
3. See 2.

Hong Kong has about 1000 orders according according to the local staff. That's about 5 times what is likely to be sold in Australia. It is also an iconic market for Asia, everyone follows HK trends. I suspect they know Australia will be so expensive that sales will be low.

Australia has approx 250 orders I believe based upon sig and reported non sig reservations. This is without the car being on sale (no pricing), no shop front and very little press coverage. Expect that number to increase significantly.

Expensive compared to other markets yes, expensive compared to other premium/luxury sedans in Australia, no. Don't underestimate where Australia could get to as a market once some momentum builds.

Last edited: