Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with Benz also. Jerome told me they eventually intend to be in most countries around the world. NZ is a no go at moment as they would be stretching their resources too thin but Aussie will go ahead. It is just a matter of when you will start getting cars (my guess is August). NZ may be at least 12 months before it comes back into the frame, but I hope once Aussie is up and running, then perhaps they can set a date for NZ and Stone Strickland can bring a couple of cars over for test drives to generate the needed demand. Tesla need to remember that the Model S will be Cheaper for Kiwis.

Australia is different. Our population size and density and distances between sizable population centres is substantially different to every other market they've launched in. The only region with a smaller population is Hong Kong and their sales numbers are much higher than what it looks like will happen here.

I know that we have a man-on-the-ground from Tesla, but until pricing and availability is announced I'm going to remain somewhat concerned that these delays are Tesla carefully re-evaluating whether there is a business case for launching the Model S in Australia. The fact they've done as much as they have so far is not reassuring to me. If they make a realisation that they'll lose less money by pulling out now than staying, then that is what they will do.

Too pessimistic?

Definitely too pessimistic. Tesla don't plan for today, they plan for the future, hence why RHD models are being built on the second production line. They wouldn't make such a large investment in resources if they didn't think there was volume, and Australia is one part of that plan. Yes, we don't have a large population, but it is a wealthy population. Yes, our population density is low, but when you take into account the Brisbane -> Adelaide corridor it is quite respectable (and an investment in SCs is not unreasonable).

Oh, there isn't just one man on the ground, there are 3, with more job openings and constant interviews being done. It is happening.

Definitely too pessimistic. Tesla don't plan for today, they plan for the future, hence why RHD models are being built on the second production line. They wouldn't make such a large investment in resources if they didn't think there was volume, and Australia is one part of that plan. Yes, we don't have a large population, but it is a wealthy population. Yes, our population density is low, but when you take into account the Brisbane -> Adelaide corridor it is quite respectable (and an investment in SCs is not unreasonable).

Oh, there isn't just one man on the ground, there are 3, with more job openings and constant interviews being done. It is happening.
Who are the 3? Stone, in Sydney and presumably a service guy somewhere for the roadsters.
I doubt prices will be out before Thursday our time because of the earnings call.will still be obsessively checking for them though.

We may have a wealthy population, but you have to counter that with what will be the highest prices for a Model S of any market. I don't like the chance of LCT being addressed in the upcoming federal budget, do you? As well as that, the AUD is very likely to tank at some point which will make the Model S pretty much unaffordable (it would knock me out of the running for sure) and Tesla must be aware of this substantial risk.

Anyway, I'm happy to stop worrying about this any time Tesla feel like selling me a car.

We may have a wealthy population, but you have to counter that with what will be the highest prices for a Model S of any market. I don't like the chance of LCT being addressed in the upcoming federal budget, do you? As well as that, the AUD is very likely to tank at some point which will make the Model S pretty much unaffordable (it would knock me out of the running for sure) and Tesla must be aware of this substantial risk.

Anyway, I'm happy to stop worrying about this any time Tesla feel like selling me a car.

I think Denmark actually have a higher price - their tax on new vehicles is absolutely ridiculous, and their tax concessions for electric vehicles are nowhere near as generous as Norway's.

Anyway - the AUD should hold steady until Tesla announce their pricing. Tesla will have forward contracts covering their exchange rate exposure, which they either will have fixed in the last couple of months (presumably at .9 USD) or with any luck last year, when it was still at parity. I think it's safe to assume they will be at 0.9 USD for their exchange rate though.

There is absolutely 0 chance that the LCT will get reduced or abolished before the next budget.

My issue with our pricing is that you are paying stamp duty on top of GST and LCT, which is a tax on a tax, and that's ridiculous. In any case Monty you are right, it's going to be very unaffordable for most people. But then so is a BMW 5 series or a Mercedes S class, which is I guess what they're trying to compete against...

There is absolutely 0 chance that the LCT will get reduced or abolished before the next budget.

I met face to face with my federal MP this morning and raised the issue. I suggest that every reservation holder does the same. I have a spreadsheet which highlights why the LCT threshold for an EV should be $100k to maintain parity with other vehicles if used for business purposes - eg claimed against a car allowance.. I am happy to share this with anyone interested.

I met face to face with my federal MP this morning and raised the issue. I suggest that every reservation holder does the same. I have a spreadsheet which highlights why the LCT threshold for an EV should be $100k to maintain parity with other vehicles if used for business purposes - eg claimed against a car allowance.. I am happy to share this with anyone interested.

My federal MP is Abbott and my doctor has recommended I don't meet with him to ensure my long-term health.

Progress well yes. But what about pricing? At this stage not on California's Monday since it is about 5 pm there now. So, perhaps they are going to leave until after their Wednesday - our Thursday for regulatory reasons.... Waiting like this is really hell!!

Yup. That's why I canceled my reservation and moved to USA

My P85 is awesome BTW