Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a run-around like this leaves an extraordinarily bad taste in the mouth.

I've had several replies from Stone to my requests for more info on the charging options in Australia the most recent tonight , so I'm more than impressed with the flow of info. There's no point stressing about the timing of pricing it will be out there when they're ready….. ever heard the phrase "measure twice cut once" no doubt they are making sure things are spot on before going public.

I've had several replies from Stone to my requests for more info on the charging options in Australia the most recent tonight , so I'm more than impressed with the flow of info. There's no point stressing about the timing of pricing it will be out there when they're ready….. ever heard the phrase "measure twice cut once" no doubt they are making sure things are spot on before going public.
How about keeping us informed? Without asking? Stone told us prices would be out by the first week of April. the VP of sales gives a " before the end of next week" referring to before the Easter weekend, and then a further run around like this, and we are not supposed to get upset? I have been waiting 3 years plus for the car. Enough measure twice cut once already.

Well I need to know pricing to see if I can afford it or not...otherwise I'll have to get another car ASAP...

How about keeping us informed? Without asking? Stone told us prices would be out by the first week of April. the VP of sales gives a " before the end of next week" referring to before the Easter weekend, and then a further run around like this, and we are not supposed to get upset? I have been waiting 3 years plus for the car. Enough measure twice cut once already.

DBorn, I reserved first in Oct 2010 the upgraded very early 2011 (Sig.#7). There are 6 people ahead of me. We are all eager, but from the viewpoint of a $20+ billion company this is a small market, and we cannot expect royal treatment, at least until we have a few Model S cars on the ground so that the Australian public gets to see them. So I think we need to be careful not to strain the relationship at this critical time. Once everyone realises that most of the population lies on on the Brisbane-Newcastle-Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne-Adelaide route and that many Australians have enough rooftop PV capability to power both house and the cars (I am installing this capability right now), Australia will become one of the leading markets in the world per capita. I am sure of that. But I would counsel patience and engagement as the best play now so that we avoid the (temporary, I hope) fate of New Zealand. Happy to talk offline.

DBorn, I reserved first in Oct 2010 the upgraded very early 2011 (Sig.#7). There are 6 people ahead of me. We are all eager, but from the viewpoint of a $20+ billion company this is a small market, and we cannot expect royal treatment, at least until we have a few Model S cars on the ground so that the Australian public gets to see them. So I think we need to be careful not to strain the relationship at this critical time. Once everyone realises that most of the population lies on on the Brisbane-Newcastle-Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne-Adelaide route and that many Australians have enough rooftop PV capability to power both house and the cars (I am installing this capability right now), Australia will become one of the leading markets in the world per capita. I am sure of that. But I would counsel patience and engagement as the best play now so that we avoid the (temporary, I hope) fate of New Zealand. Happy to talk offline.

I'm planning a home with both rooftop PV and battery storage of generated energy but I'm not sure that rooftop PV will make a substantial contribution to charging the car unless I spend an exorbitant amount on home batteries.

I'm planning a home with both rooftop PV and battery storage of generated energy but I'm not sure that rooftop PV will make a substantial contribution to charging the car unless I spend an exorbitant amount on home batteries.

Does your car spend a lot of time at home on the weekend? If so, can you deplete the Model S battery during the week then charge to full again come Saturday?

Does your car spend a lot of time at home on the weekend? If so, can you deplete the Model S battery during the week then charge to full again come Saturday?
Yes, home PV is not of no value but most people who travel reasonable distances during the day will need to recharge overnight. Even during the day, a 5kW rooftop system would incompletely charge a 60kW/hr battery even in the middle of summer. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it and I'll be installing a 4.5kW system myself but at best it only contributes a portion of the stored energy

Doesn't your energy provider allow you to put excess energy back on the grid and just offset your bill?
In tasmania aurora currently do that at a 1:1 ratio, they will even give you a check if you produce more than you use.

Doesn't your energy provider allow you to put excess energy back on the grid and just offset your bill?
In tasmania aurora currently do that at a 1:1 ratio, they will even give you a check if you produce more than you use.

Lucky. In NSW unless you signed up at the right time you get the privilege of buying power between 11c & 54c, yes 54c, per kWh depending on the time of day. They will let you use the power you generate at the time, and any excess is 'sold' back to the grid at a whopping 6.6c/kWh. If you look at the times when PV is actually generating, they are selling power for around 24c, so making >300% margin on the power you are selling them.

Additionally, they won't let you connect more than a 5kW system to the grid.

I'm selling at 60c/kWh and buying at about 30c. 2kWh system on the roof. My old man has a solar business about 20 years deep, so I'm keeping a close eye on the costs of battery backup systems, it simply doesn't pay off yet. But batteries are getting cheaper and electricity more expensive, so its only a matter of time.

Generating more than I use though, so happy in the meantime. Begging for an EV in the garage.

You can install whatever sized system you want but each electricity distributor has it's own rules about the maximum capacity that can be grid connected, usually 4.5 - 5kW. The rest can feed batteries but not be grid connected. It's a real shame that Tesla's can't manage 2 way power, it would be a great storage unit on those days when it stays at home, or even just to draw upon during peak power times.

Over 5kW is treated as a small scale generator that has seperate requirements with the distributor in regards to power quality. At least that's how it is in my area.
Yes I installed a 2kW system when it cost $23k (& that included $7k incentive)!! Luckily I'm getting 66c feed in tariff but we are moving soon and I won't get that in my new house. The plan will be to have a small battery system that runs the house during the day supplementing generated capacity and recharges from the grid at night using cheaper electricity. The Tesla will be additional to that though unless I find a supercharger.

I can't see them giving Tesla any favours even though buying a Tesla is a form of seasonal 'Direct Action'.

No. 'Direct Action' is taking taxpayer cash and giving it largely without strings to a bunch of the biggest polluters without any real penalties for them just not doing anything. Anyone who bought that pup needs to consider where the cash came from in the first place. In this instance I actually agree with our new Treasurer Joe - in the end, somebody pays. In this case, it's you and me regardless. Under an emissions trading scheme I could decide to buy all of my power from renewables and not pay any carbon tax, and there would be a commercial incentive for polluters to cut their costs.

Sad really.