Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully you will see quite a few Model S's in Newcastle, it should be within range for a day drive up the F3 (sorry M1) from Sydney without the need for a charge for the trip home. It is certainly one of my targets! A photo of a gaggle of Model S's with Nobbys in the background would be great?

Excellent idea. I put down my reservation deposit on Thursday so sometime towards the end of the year we should get it together (to celebrate the First SuperCharger on the F3/M1 - maybe just north of Newcastle :) - I wish )

Excellent idea. I put down my reservation deposit on Thursday so sometime towards the end of the year we should get it together (to celebrate the First SuperCharger on the F3/M1 - maybe just north of Newcastle :) - I wish )

I think a spring Hunter trip would be fitting. I hear an electric charger will be installed at Peterson House so that might be a good port of call?

I think a spring Hunter trip would be fitting. I hear an electric charger will be installed at Peterson House so that might be a good port of call?

:) Is that Peterson Champagne House you are referring to ?

- - - Updated - - -

You can aggregate emissions reductions to join the auction. Shall we band together all our old cars, aggregate the emissions that would be reduced by buying Model S and put it in the auction? (It would also make a farce of the process which would be grand). I just calculated that replacing my car will reduce emissions by 2.5 tons a year.
Good idea. I'm replacing a, ahem, ML63 AMG, so will have plenty of emissions to contribute. (I've started to get very, very guilty driving it around considering that I have a strong view on solar power, energy use and the future for my kids).

Yep! (although they aren't allowed to use the name Champagne).

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea. I'm replacing a, ahem, ML63 AMG, so will have plenty of emissions to contribute. (I've started to get very, very guilty driving it around considering that I have a strong view on solar power, energy use and the future for my kids).

Hah, so I'm not the only one that feels guilty when firing up their dinosaur burner. Good to know!

- - - Updated - - -

Surely if we were serious about putting in for direct (in)action we'd have to dismantle and recycle your ML63:scared:
Just joking, with this Government greenwash programme you'd probably be allowed to keep it. It's an idea though if direct (in)action ever gets off the ground

Pricing upload for AU may be happening as we speak?!?!?

just went to Tesla website and it is showing "Teslamotors.com is undergoing maintenance and will return shortly"

Fingers and everything else crossed......:biggrin:

Timing is right (approx 1am Sunday morning in LA) for it to be deliberately off air for updates rather than just a server failure.

Last edited:
Pricing upload for AU may be happening as we speak?!?!?

just went to Tesla website and it is showing "Teslamotors.com is undergoing maintenance and will return shortly"

Fingers and everything else crossed......:biggrin:

Timing is right (approx 1am Sunday morning in LA) for it to be deliberately off air for updates rather than just a server failure.
The whole teslamotors site is down for maintenance, not just the Aussie pages.

Know this sounds like a broken record - although the time is here (almost for the 3rd...or is it 4th time) - just some charging adjustments for AU which no doubt has been communicated -...... Robots are working hard to get it happening lol....;-)

Cheap energy storage is the key - once we have that sorted the game changes dramatically - not just for off grid, but for the traditional generators as well. They also will be able to better manage their generation and distribution costs, and the pricing models will need to change. Of course PV is only one component here, geo and wind farm generation also can play a significant part, but one of the most stunning missed opportunities are all of the relatively empty and unshaded rooftops on so many industrial buildings.

I'll be expanding my system when the economics of the storage or the output per $ changes. A used 85kWh battery with 60kWh of life in it would be interesting & would power my house for several days in bad weather.

Most commercial buildings are leased, so there has to be incentive for the landlord to put in solar otherwise it won't happen. We own our building so we were able to put an 85kw system on the warehouse and office roofs. Had a very difficult time finding a electricity retailer who would even allow us to hook into the grid, let alone pay us for the excess power we generate. We had all but given up when we got lucky and found a company (which I will not name) who even gave us a decent feed in tariff. Definitely our system needs to be improved on in this country.

Most commercial buildings are leased, so there has to be incentive for the landlord to put in solar otherwise it won't happen. We own our building so we were able to put an 85kw system on the warehouse and office roofs. Had a very difficult time finding a electricity retailer who would even allow us to hook into the grid, let alone pay us for the excess power we generate. We had all but given up when we got lucky and found a company (which I will not name) who even gave us a decent feed in tariff. Definitely our system needs to be improved on in this country.

Interesting story on this issue on RN's Background Briefing

Agreed. Still a massive missed opportunity - generate lots of power close to the city and industry without the associated pollution. Battery storage needs to come down dramatically in cost, but when it does the dominance of fossil fuels will end.

How much is current battery storage? And how much power do they generally store?
Just in the process of extending my system in Sydney. Wanted battery backup/load time shifting. Bottom line (by the supplier/contractor) not economically viable at this time, especially since i receive the 60c FIT on my existing 3Kw system. They DO expect battery prices to come down in the fullness of time. For me, at least, not until after end 2016 when the 60c scheme ends.

Sunshine Coast

You're looking at 40-50K for a decent amount of panels and LifePo battery set-up. I have 15kW array and in summer it does 100kWh and in winter more like 50kWh and a rainy day like today 30kWh

Have you got a reservation? Just wondering how many reservations there are for sunshine coast. We have two public charging stations for EV if you are not aware (Kawana and Forest Glen). I'm a signature reservation holder.