Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe all the cars have been air-freighted and it would not surprise me if the first few cars for delivery were sent over in a similar way so that they can hold their unveiling event earlier. The cost isn't as bad as you'd think because the cars don't weigh that much, they just take up a lot of volume.

Just did a quick online quote to compare from California to Sydney. Insured for $US100k, sea freight $US3.6k, air freight $US20k. I'd expect that Tesla would do better than an ad-hoc anonymous user on the 'net.

In the scheme of things, $20k isn't bad considering how much a business class airfare costs!

Just spoke to the tech at Chamberlain Garage doors, the local agent for Homelink. He tells me that it is most likely that Homelink, the USA version not the European, will work in Australia. We have rolling codes, but European is old technology with fixed codes. have written to Stone giving him the contact details.

Just did a quick online quote to compare from California to Sydney. Insured for $US100k, sea freight $US3.6k, air freight $US20k. I'd expect that Tesla would do better than an ad-hoc anonymous user on the 'net.

In the scheme of things, $20k isn't bad considering how much a business class airfare costs!

I'll take the sea freight delivery and keep the $16.5k please.

Last edited:
I'll wait for an official announcement but if those prices are true then I can't afford one as I need a S85, and that is likely to be beyond my Minister for finance will sanction although that price wasn't mentioned. I doubt that they'll sell many at all here at those quoted prices. I'll wait for the official price release

I think official prices will be slightly lower but not by much.

I'll wait for an official announcement but if those prices are true then I can't afford one as I need a S85, and that is likely to be beyond my Minister for finance will sanction although that price wasn't mentioned. I doubt that they'll sell many at all here at those quoted prices. I'll wait for the official price release

Maybe the Minister for Finance should come Tuesday - Cary could use his charm!

Too Much

Pricing is up guys - more that I expected - For me its going to be a serious compromise on inclusions or just give it a skip and wait for the cheaper one to come - I'm really disappointed.
The version I wanted would cost 148K - there's no way my minister of finance will approve this - I had 125K in mind. Oh well at least the wait is over!

FINALLY!! Well, the car I want comes in just over 140, in line with my recent calcs, and with the early reservation discount should come in at 137000 odd. Pity I don't live in the ACT! Since my original budget was 130000, and my TSLA has gone up, that makes it affordable. Now the wait for the email.